Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Is it 4:30 yet.....?

IMG_20200529_055924689.jpg

In the words of Loverboy; "Everybody's workin' for the weekend". I can relate.
  2. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    I have to sit through one meeting this am, then booking it out to hit some fine routes in the Crowsnest and Castle area this weekend. First "real" ride (e.g. more than just a couple of hrs) of the season for me. Very excited :)
    cal08 and Lycan1 like this.
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out camping in the Ghost River Valley as soon as I can get free.

_MG_1479.jpg
  4. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went out for an easy loop yesterday from Calgary. Took the 1a out to Canmore, then onto Spray Lakes road towards K Country. Stopped at the dam on Upper Spray Lake to have my packed lunch. Surprised at how low the water level is, don't ever recall seeing it that low.

[​IMG]

Continued down to Hwy 40, then back to Sibbald Flats road, aka hwy 68. Turned off on the Powderface trail to head south to Hwy 66. Stopped again for a break at the WW2 crash memorial for a snack.

[​IMG]

Continued on down the rest of the way to 66. Only one more stop just about 3k from the pavement. Guy flagged me down to ask for help. He'd managed to get his SUV well off the road into some mud and was mired in up the the frame. I have no idea where he thought he was going or how he decided to go where he ended up. There was another truck stopped as well so I left him to ponder his stupidity.

From there it was an easy run back home through Bragg creek into the city.
  5. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @MCMXCIVRS In his defence, you do have to get stuck a few times before you un-stupid yourself. Explaining for a friend.
    Cal likes this.
  6. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    I saw you blast past me while I was loading the 501 late this afternoon to go home - I was parked at the gas installation.

I was doing as much single track as I dare by myself and turned around only when I became to exhausted , or it became too muddy or it was bit too sketchy to try alone. I quit when I ran out of drinking water. IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    wylie348, Cowtowner, Lycan1 and 3 others like this.
  7. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    True, done some un-stupiding myself in the past. Nothing as spectactular though as this fellow managed.
    Cowtowner, cal08 and Cal like this.
  8. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spark plug wouldn’t come out of new to me ‘12 KTM 690 - I guess some previous owner cross threaded it. Tried a back tap and no happiness.

So I pulled the head this morning - cam and head come out easy with motor bolted in the frame (despite what I read in the internet last night that cam won’t come out unless you unbolt and jostle the motor). Looks like I may need to get the spark plug hole re-threaded but I’ll try a thread chaser first.

Also, I was thinking I might get the head serviced while it’s out - anyone know someone in Calgary who’s good with KTM heads?

One of the rocker arms is hammered and shows radial play - so I’m replacing both of them. It’ll be 10 days for rocker arms, head gasket and new head bolts I’m sure.

anyway, I’m going riding today on 990.

17473731-A432-4552-B486-C5755E476F86.jpeg 56D913F4-819A-4D39-BD69-7BA22FC6312D.jpeg
    LANCIVPT likes this.
  9. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out on Powderface today. Bit of rain and fog but always a great ride. Road 22x to the end, then north on Powderface, out to hwy 40, looped around the 1A to Sibbald Trail, came back to Powderface and went back south.
    20200531_120035.jpg 20200531_101533.jpg 20200531_100005.jpg
  10. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been avoiding scratching the KTM itch but lately it is getting worse. I am giving serious thought to a 790 AdventureR (the price differential is relatively small for the "upgrades"). I see that there are a few Calgary and area inmates that either have one or have ridden with someone who has. What are your thoughts? on the bike itself? local dealers?, any other pertinent info?
    I currently have 3 bikes. CBR1100XX, ST1300, and 650 Vstrom. I am thinking or replacing the Vstrom since I use it only for local gravel and dirt roads. However, it does take an hour or so of regular roads to get to these sometimes. If I was being totally practical, I should probably just keep the Vstrom, and continue to use it, since it is probably more capable than I am anyway but.......shouldn't everyone own a KTM at least once before they die? The 790 seems almost to be that unicorn bike. Capable of most anything you care to throw at it.

So......any sage advice from those who know about these things would be appreciated.
  11. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was tooling around Turner Valley today and took Powderface home. Was in real nice shape.

291DE428-6216-49CB-9256-7DEDB6230023.jpeg
  12. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    Nice to not be choking on dust for once lol
    ScooterNoMore and Cowtowner like this.
  13. Affieplaas

Affieplaas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are some of my favourite "going for a ride" roads. I'm in Cochrane, always keen to head out for a hour or 4 riding!
    MCMXCIVRS likes this.
  14. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Affieplaas instead of Affiedorp - another expat? I’m also in Cochrane.
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  15. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just reading between the lines:

CBR: sportbike enthusiasts ride once the hip operation won't allow them to stay in the tuck. Read: cool as fack.
    ST: sportbike enthusiasts ride when the babe wants to ride as well. Read: cool as fack and still getting it.
    Vstrom: rides more miles in a season than most do in their lifetime. Read: cool as Fack.

With a CAF factor as high as yours, you are entitled to get any bike you want without debate. If I may be so bold, I will draw your attention first, to the unanticipated consequences: You should be sensitive to the impact the new ride will have on your immediate community. Already, the neighbors wives think their men are wimpy ass as it is; bringing a new steed into your quiver will likely throw things over the top. You may have to slay a few on the side to keep things under control and keep their marriages intact. Some men are fine with that obligation; others less so. I will leave that conundrum without further development; we will all face our maker in due course and be accountable. The ride you are missing though, I imagine, is more off the beaten track, without too much chaos as the bikes currently in the quiver are more civilized in their sweet spot. The 790 is a great steed to cross over into that less civilized ride. So are the 701/690 as well as the 501. The bigger factor, is how much off the beaten track are you missing? A lot? Go 501. 50/50? Go 790. 70/30? Go 701/690. New suspension, balanced, powerful. Capable of handling some luggage without overwhelming the balance. Properly set up, sprung to your weight, that 790 will cruise along the trunk roads at 120 without a sweat. It is glorious and you should ride that ride if that's what you want. You've earned it. You make the world a better place on it. Kids imagine themselves in your place when you ride by and in time become capable masculine men, as they had you as their secret mentor. Women diddle themselves with you in mind. Buy that bike.
    fasteer and Cal like this.
  16. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Batten down the hatches boys, there's a s#!#storm a'comin'! A testosterone flood followed by a sea of green envy (for orange bike)."
    Trailer Park Boys : coming soon to Calgary if ddrod goes a'shoppin'
  17. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How far off is the 490? Got room for two more bikes?
  18. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    Boris: "Bike is good, you like bike. What is problem? Get bike."
  19. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys are hilarious and helpful! Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I would like to get a little more off the beaten track. This lack of travel out of the country certainly has put a dent into plans for touring and that brings things more into focus. I am realizing, more and more, (and seeing/reading about all your rides) that there is a LOT of good riding right here, close to home. I would probably use the bike for 50:50 riding as far as total miles riding goes. That is what is attractive about the 790. The 490 has appeal but who knows when it will get here. Maybe when it does get here.......but until then, I am thinking the 790 would be fun. I rode a 690 briefly and I found it to be quite harsh. Probably because I was not riding it near close to how it should be ridden.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and comments.
  20. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The harsh character you speak to is almost universally attributed to an improper suspension set up. Granted, tho, the 690 is known as as a twitchy bike; lots make that observation, myself included. It does take getting used to its personality. Smoother on its power delivery, without over the top mass, the 790 could become the riders quiver of one. Only comments are tire selection. I've found I needed to stay in the knobbie/ralley type tires, 80/20, 90/10 to give me the confidence in the terrain I like. Those 50/50 solutions are just too slippery as the bike is lighter and does not push the tire into the earth with the same ease as the heavier bikes. As to the roads less travelled, they are endless and abandoned for the most part. You will only see like minded souls in your travels, which makes for very pleasant trips. Keep us posted.
    drrod1 likes this.