Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same, but take a left at Farnam creek, the valley about an inch back from where your track ends and follow to the end. Your map does not show the end. It's big bike friendly if your OK on some narly hills - just a few short sections though; nothing over the top. Lotsa bear shite tho. We are in their home country I expect. If we all end up at Radium later this summer, this valley is the crown jewel and where I would host as the prime. Nicest views I've ever experienced.
  2. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya got my interest! I'll have to remember bear spray though.
  3. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heres an updated track, with gpx file and elevation profile. To the west is some additional Horsethief. The start of Farnham is back a bit. This track is 70km to get you out to the end of Farnham(not back to radium, need to add that), including the additional out near the end of Horsethief.
    upload_2020-7-6_20-38-34.png

The two little dudes on the map correspond to the markers on the elevation profile for the Farnham section:
    upload_2020-7-6_21-4-55.png

Attached Files:

ScooterNoMore, powderzone and cal08 like this.
  4. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the one. Mileage is conservative, mine was 126 including lots of detours, but snow stopped the summit and I doubt the 2T is calibrated. That said, this is a highlight of the area and a must do. You could tie this in with a couple other peak bags, maybe paradise, Farnham, and the Bugaboo Spire. That would be a good day. Needs a name tho.
    powderzone likes this.
  5. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone thinking of taking a well-known and closed water crossing; just a heads up that due to the limited traffic (I’m guessing due to the washout on the west side), the concrete pad has built up A LOT of slick algae.

Here’s a little excerpt from the ride report, after feeling pretty good about missing the thunder and rain.

“but somehow missed it. Laughing into my helmet, the gods struck back as I entered the river crossing and the algae swept my front. Barrel rolled through the calf-deep water and came to a stop flat on my back. Yeah great. Took me 10 minutes to get the bike upright in that slime. Balance restored to the universe, I continued on my way...soaked.“

Not saying it was me (heh heh) but that’s how my luck often goes.
    Lycan1, drrod1, Fatallybitten and 2 others like this.
  6. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a slightly different experience at that same location. I had done the crossing west to east a couple of weeks ago and there was a bit of erosion on the approach to the concrete from that side. Nothing serious. Last weekend I decided to cross it again, same direction. The water was running a bit higher, but it didn't look like it should be a problem. Unlike the previous time, I didn't scout the entry and just rolled into the water expecting the same conditions. Wrong. The erosion had gotten considerably worse and there was now a deep hole before I got to the concrete. I wasn't carrying a lot of momentum, just enough as it turned out to get the front wheel up on the concrete where the bike came to a stop with the rear tire in the hole. Thankfully, I was able to plant both feet on the concrete and keep the bike upright. It took a bit to get my worn out rear tire to bite on lip of the concrete but once it did I was able to navigate to the east side. The two guys with me decided not to tempt fate which meant I had to turn around and recross. Thankfully, no drama. So, the lesson I learned is to always stop and scout water crossings before riding across.
    Lycan1, ScooterNoMore and powderzone like this.
  7. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The wash out section is deep. I had the same idea so jumped on the gas to avoid getting stuck in the hole. I had taken the outside line since the hole didn't look as deep...but that's where the algae lurked. I'd guess that the centre wheel tracks scrub the scum off the cement so it wasn't too bad there. That's where I dragged my bike to get proper footing. It would have been entertaining to watch.
  8. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well tomorrow marks six weeks waiting on a rocker arm for 690. Good news is it sounds like it’s coming next week so finally get to ride this beast (Inshallah)!

one more day to the weekend ...
    ScooterNoMore and cal08 like this.
  9. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Out with the guys and girls - somewhere behind Crows nest pass on the ATV trails yesterday.Today were going to look at a plane wreck from the 1940’s. IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
  10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    LANCIVPT likes this.
  11. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    So here it is...not too bad hill climbs but severe loose rocks was an ice challenge. IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    Then we climbed another mountain top with an incredible view. IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
  12. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many of us have benefited from Lycan's ingenuity and expertise in many areas. One of the areas is his use of the inexpensive plastic tool cases you can get at Princess Auto. So, just in case anyone is considering one, the very useful sized one is currently on sale. There were still several on the shelf at the Country Hills location when I was there on Saturday.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/16-in-impact-resistant-storage-case/A-p8486029e
  13. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great day in Cypress Hills today. No rain in the campground tonight either

98CC7A1B-3F4A-42A8-98C5-B1303E4495E8.jpeg 84E2688D-DA74-4BF7-B337-3439B15FA95D.jpeg
  14. dakota_c69

dakota_c69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got out for a ride today heading South towards Vulcan. Great day started out like this...

IMG_20200712_101406.jpg

But ended up like this...
    IMG_20200712_130031_2.jpg

Luckily it was just a broken toe.

Attached Files:

LANCIVPT, AJRJ and drrod1 like this.
  15. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We need to know the rest of the story!!!
    Lycan1 and ScooterNoMore like this.
  16. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yes do tell us more, Bones heal but what boots failed you to allow the break?

Really nice bike, how did it fair? A rut get you? Enquiring minds want to know.

Sadly, I to got to spend some time in urgent care, all masked up this weekend as well.
    Turns out: a case of food poisoning to top everything off.

I have a lot of respect for the healthcare workers that have to be suited up in so much gear all day long!
    powderzone likes this.
  18. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They really nailed the lines on that bike of yours. The look is really standing the test of time. Some designs just look dated and out of place. Not that one.
    ScooterNoMore and AJRJ like this.
  19. dakota_c69

dakota_c69 Adventurer

Oddometer:

My buddy and I planned a Burgers and Beer ride to Vulcan. I ride and 2020 KTM 790 ADV R and my buddy rides a BMW GS 1200R. My buddy is the one in the hospital bed.

So, I picked out a nice route to Vulcan using a mixture of pavement, gravel and 2 track for the ride down using some of @Lycan1 posted GPX files (Thanks Lycan1! I read about your adventure too, hopefully you heal up soon and get back at it). The trip was going to be about 90 km down there, then slab back to Calgary after.

It was a great day for a ride so we left around 09:00 and started out. The 790 was awesome and I finally got to try it out on the terrain I was most looking forward to, which is some nice 2 track. I don’t mind running it on gravel roads, but the pucker factor running 70 KPH on rolling rocks can be a little much. That 790 just begs you to twist the throttle in the 2 track with great grip and ferocious acceleration. Tons of fun!

So, about 70 km into the trip we were on some beautiful 2 track that is basically 3 less grassy paths in long grass between two farms. The ground was kinda silty but had good traction, so that 790 was goading me into making bad decisions. Around went the throttle and off we go!

About 1 km into this 2 track I come up on a small valley with a big tree at the bottom and decide it’s a perfect place for a photo, so I pull over and try and position my bike in a good spot to “pose”. Had some difficulty with positioning and probably spent 3 minutes getting setup and parked (there was a little engine starting issue in here as well). Turned around to get my buddy all setup for the photo and he was nowhere to be found.

He’s been on my tail the whole day as he has more experience on the ADV bike than me, so I immediately jump on the 790 and start back tracking. I see him when I crest the valley about 500 meters back trying to stand up. His BMW is facing the opposite direction then it should be.

I get there and he is in a lot of foot pain and his helmet is pretty smacked up. He was riding in the middle “path” and decided to swap to the left path. When the front wheel touched the top of that rut, things got ugly. He says he was thrown to the ground so fast he couldn’t tell me the mechanics of the crash. The evidence like bike damage and ground impacts tells the possible story though.

It looks like he got cross rutted between the paths and either the BMW didn’t have the ground clearance to cope or the cross rutted tires suddenly grabbed traction and he was high sided into terra firma!

The damage on the BMW was the front fender/headlight, windscreen, mirrors, left engine case (no damage just a lot of soil samples) and rear rack.

The damage on him was a broken big toe and an extra-long Achilles tendon (not torn just over extended probably).

I feel if he would have been wearing full MX boots, like I was, instead of work boot type footwear he would not have been as seriously injured. I am guessing during the get off and bike flip, the weight of the bike pushed his toe towards his shin at some point before everything stopped moving.

After checking him over for obvious first aid requirements and finding none, I lifted his bike for him and went about trying to convince him that getting back on the bike was a good idea (That took awhile). Got him on the bike, shifted it into 2nd gear and we putted to the emergency in Vulcan. We were only 8 km from our Burgers and Beer destination.

As I rode away from our spot on the 2 track I tried going from middle path to that same path and found the transition to be unexpectedly high. I wound up cross rutted until a bunch of throttle set everything straight. Just glad I didn’t try that at speed!

Definitely have kudos for those in the healthcare positions. They are there day in and day out looking out for folks that need help! Wearing all that PPE has gotta suck, but they do it cause it helps people stay healthy.
    ScooterNoMore and Lycan1 like this.
  20. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it was not more serious. It could well have been. That bike is heavy and it falls on your leg the "right" way, things can get ugly. Hope your friend heals quickly.
    Lycan1 likes this.