1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Great picture!

I'm just waiting for the end of day whistle to blow.
    IMG_20200918_065114370_HDR.jpg
    Then it's Summer's last hurrah before pulling off the shock for repair or replace. I'll have to be careful with the pogo stick tonight on Trans Alta road. Should be entertaining anyway.
    It may be the season's last ride for me depending on how long the shock issue takes to resolve. I'm hoping for some interesting photos to cap off the season.
  2. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    It ain't over til it's over.

I did a nice eight day trip out into the Kootenays last week into this week. Hit some good routes and spent a couple days hanging out at some fishing lakes with good results. The smoke moved in Sunday and was so heavy it was like being in fog and cut the heat from the sun keeping daytime temps cooler than forecasted.

IMG_20200908_185100 - Edited.jpg IMG_20200909_082049 - Edited.jpg IMG_20200909_122235 - Edited.jpg IMG_20200910_110551 - Edited.jpg IMG_20200911_124141 - Edited.jpg IMG_20200911_143303 - Edited.jpg IMG_20200911_145903 - Edited.jpg IMG_20200912_140101 - Edited.jpg IMG_20200913_133847 - Edited.jpg
    pictor1, Fatallybitten, cal08 and 7 others like this.
  3. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not a fisherman, but looks like you have a bike set up to carry all your gear with you, including a small boat or floating tube?

The picture with the fish on the tube/plank looks like it's custom designed to fit inside the pannier on the exhaust side.

I did not notice where you would carry the fishing rod? Some I have seen some bikes where there is a long tube it goes in. Perhaps the one you have comes apart in may pieces.

It looks like a great set up for adventure riding and fishing in some great spots.
  4. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    The boat is an Alpacka pack raft, made for backpacking. My rod is a Shimano travel rod that is telescopic with removable handle to pack to about 14" in its case. With all the camping and cooking gear it does make a full load up on the bike, but not bad for weight.
    Cal and ColumbusTheExplorer like this.
  5. DRDP

DRDP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How are you guys finding the little bikes on the extended paved sections?
  6. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 501 zips along ok at 90 to 100. It’s geared 14/50 so a bit more off-road oriented so top speed is 135’ish. My buddy is running 14/48 and tops out closer to 150.
    The engine is smooth with very little vibrations. The biggest issue is lack of wheel balance due to the rim lock. Some guys run the dual rim locks which seem to balance things out a bit better. I just rotate my tire 180 degrees and only do 20km sections on pavement to get fuel, supplies etc.
    If I was going to do a bunch of riding on the island for example, and was time constrained, I would throw the bike in the pickup and drive to Lilloet or somewhere closer and go from there.
    But if I’m doing off the beaten path riding from my door, +75% gravel, the 501 is definitely a contender.
    This week I’m doing a 3,500km loop through BC which requires slabbing it to / from Revy. Gravel roads and rocky dual track. I’m taking the 1090.
    Just my 2cents.
  7. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would you consider using weights on the spokes to balance the wheel or do you think it would need too much?

https://fortnine.ca/en/k-l-non-lead-compliant-spoke-wheel-weights
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  8. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I’d consider it. But there’s usually a heavy side to most tires so if I’ve got a bad bounce on the tire, I’ll usually just rotate it 180 degrees on the rim.
    Then I’ll look at weighting options to balance it.
    Most of my 501 riding is off road so I don’t really notice if the wheel is just a wee bit out of sorts.
    The spoke weights look like a good idea though and can be easily moved around. Sure wouldn’t want to have one fly off though. Lol
    LANCIVPT likes this.
  9. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @LANCIVPT @powderzone

Just back from 5 days in the Koots. Lots of adventure including deactivated roads, bushwhacking in the dark in big bikes, and eventually camping at 1900m when we had to call it quits...that is not the point of the post.

BUT...we met Gilles on the trip. He found us at the ferry and came over Grey Creek with us and joined us for lunch in Kimberly. The guy definitely does not have a shortage for stories!
    powderzone and LANCIVPT like this.
  10. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Yes he does have great stories - we are scheduled to go ride small bikes together with the usual crowd in Kamloops in October. Anyone interested to join us can PM me. OHV friendly ride.
  11. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    By the end of our time with Gilles, I had invites to that ride, an Island ride, and possibly one up by Lilloet...I told him "slow down man! I have work and a family!"
    LANCIVPT likes this.
  12. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    It’s nice to be semi - retired. Lol
  13. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regarding wheel/tire balancing......what are peoples experience with a front TKC80? I recently installed one that took 45 gms to balance. It seems to have a bit of wheel hop at slow speeds but at 110-130 it feels fine. Have about 2,000 kms on it and no real sign of abnormal wear.
    BTW - the bike is a 790R
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I've been running them for years on big Adventure bikes and are my go to. Key to longevity on pavement is air to max. On gravel down about 5_8 psi if you like. I'm usually lazy about that and run full pressure off road which likely affects my ability but my rims thank me.

As far as balancing I've been lucky and never more than 30 grams. Wheel hop only noticable when slow and half worn.
    I've started using the brass spoke weights. Easier to adjust.

IMG_20200927_151616272_HDR.jpg

By the way, I got 12,000 kms on my last TKC front and I could have gone longer.
  15. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lee,
    I will try airing it up a bit. Running at about 33 lbs now.
    Liking the tire so far.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  16. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    I just spooned a new TKC80 on the front before a blast out to the Koots last week. Red dot at the valve stem and 4x1/4oz (~28grams) of weights had it balanced. No issues. My first time running a TKC80 and it was a great front. My previous go-to is the Mitas E09, but this was good...
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    33 should be good in front just no lower than 28.

Mita's E-09 was ok but TKC runs smoother on pavement and lasts longer. Only slightly less off road worthy. TKC seems to stay softer through all the heat cycles versus the Mitas which I found hardened up as it aged.
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  18. skydivegazoo

skydivegazoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of times, when it's taken a lot to balance, I've broke the bead and rotated the tire on the rim to get it a little nicer. Been able to cut weight by half that way.
    ScooterNoMore and Lycan1 like this.
  19. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion. Thanks.
    I think I may give this a try. See if I can get rid of the low speed hop.
  20. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thinking about grabbing a coffee in fernie saturday. Pm if interested.