Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rutted still but filled in with leaves for that extra element of surprise.
  2. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, thankfully I had seen it at its Spring mud and deep water filled rut finest so fall leaves never fooled me.

I had experienced the two rut sideways boogie through there a number of times too early in the season. Late fall is best.

IMG_0160.JPG
    Spring

IMG_0493.JPG
    Fall
    powderzone likes this.
  3. pictor1

pictor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well looks like the season is over for me, but it was a better one than I could have imagined given the circumstances. Yes a number of great trips to the USA got cancelled but I am still pleased with the season overall. This year I had only two goals; #1. no injuries, as that could have been the end of my riding career (2018 5 compressed discs in upper back, 2019 broken foot while riding in Death Valley) and #2. take a few more pics, don't just leave it all up to that Lycan1 guy to carry the photographic load. So a successful year.

DSbestof-1023.JPG
    a nice early start to 2020, and 11,000km later it is done!

If you want to see some of my favourite pics from 2020, here is a link. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7xf4er6wfq3a1vs/AADSJy59B2hQMwhNDZUbL2tTa?dl=0

I hope everyone has as good a winter as possible, although being stuck here instead of getting away is going to be weird.
  4. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great photos! A reminder for me to get out riding with more inmates next year. Gotta say that every time I see photos of your 690 and the @Fatallybitten 701...I give serious thought to swapping out the 1090R.
    But then I ride the 1090R and...just can't turn my back on the big girl. Then I see a T7 Tenere and the cycle starts again. First world decisions I guess.
    I guess there won't be any trailering the bike to NV or CA for the foreseeable future so until the weather clears again, I'll be putting the Timbersled kit on the 501 and waiting for big snow.
  5. pictor1

pictor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words Powderzone. I wouldn't be rushing to buy a 690/701 if I were you, as it seems you have the perfect setup with the 501 and 1090. I think that is the route I would go if I had the funds. The 690/701 is a great compromise bike for us single bike owners, but I have thought long and hard about a 501 sized bike. The only things keeping me from going that route are the fact that it would likely get me into places/situations that I am better off avoiding. As well I love to camp off my bike and I am just not sure something like a 501 is the solution for camping, due to smaller sub frame, maintenance and lack of cush drive? Alsol, as an old guy who needs all the help he can get, I am really enjoying the ride modes, quickshifter, abs, slipper clutch and rekluse of my 690. In any case, I wish you a great snowbike season.
    drrod1, powderzone and Lycan1 like this.
  6. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried out a 525 this weekend. Nimble like the 300; I was expecting it to be heavier. The guy who owned said it didn’t drive nice, but nothing some proper maintenance couldn’t fix.
    pictor1 and powderzone like this.
  7. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great shots of the year. You clocked more than me.
    pictor1 likes this.
  8. pictor1

pictor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes a 525 in need of work would be a great solution, I think it would be a lot of fun to ride and I like the idea of refurbishing a bike. But I am not sure how much longer I can do this stuff and I wanted something shiny and new with all the whiz bang shit before I hang it up. So instead of a used big and small bike I went with a new 690 and am surprised at how well it takes care of me, so maybe I am good for a bit? But I would love to have a bike to work on this winter.......

thanks for the kind words.
    Cal, cal08 and Lycan1 like this.
  9. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed that Jarvis and Traction E-rag interview wher those two old farts were featured, both still riding at 70 and 80. I suspect if you keep yourself on the bike, you can ride as long as you feel. I agree that 690 platform is just about perfect. Both big enough and small enough at the same time. As to the maintenance, that is why new is nice, you get a break. You'll be wrenching soon enough.
    Lycan1 and pictor1 like this.
  10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    A positive update on the shock situation.

I recieved a call late this afternoon from Blackfoot Motosports Service department.

KTM has decided to provide a replacement unit for the failed stock unit. This in in no small part to the support and advocacy of both friends and the dealership staff.

I have been a long time supporter and regular customer and most there know me by name. It is a relationship that you can never developed with the online warehouses. This is an example of when customer support is done right!

It is reassuring to see a manufacturer back what they sell. It is also great to see the dealer go to bat for a customer when they need it, even when warranty is over.

I Have been a big fan of KTM and WP suspension due to the pleasure of using their products and been verbal about it. I have also been very open about my support and appreciation of Blackfoot Motosports and this reinforces my views on both.

A big thank you to all the staff at Blackfoot including Ron and Michael!

The Lycan shall ride again......in the Spring.
    LANCIVPT, Cal, pictor1 and 9 others like this.
  11. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great news Lycan!!
    Just out of curiosity, what would a new shock cost?
    Lycan1 likes this.
  12. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    A new shock (stock WP replacement) lists at $1069.00 US so about $1411.00 CAD.

IMG_1846.jpg

A Tractive shock from the Netherlands, the people that make the Touratech unit, goes for $1595.00 US versus $1795.00 US for the Touratech unit that is only a different color.
    That's $2097.23 and $2369.00 respectively in CAD.

K_01-371-5871_12.jpg
    You pay a lot for that Touratech name and they make nothing themselves.

You can't order direct from Tractive (here in North America) sadly as they sell it $1094.00 Euro. Convert that to CAD. $1690.34

T53_1n_1e_1.jpg
    Cheaper and better looking.

https://tractivesuspension.com/product/46KT15-T5316/

I had not got around to getting a price from the Ohlins distributor in Quebec yet, but they only list their unit as being for the BMW 1250. According to my research it will fit just fine, same eye to eye measurement.

https://www.ohlins.com/product/ttx-adventure/

ttx36_ttx39-1280x808.jpg
    I had an Ohlins on my FZ-1 and it was amazing.

I can't afford any of them, so I'm very pleased with my outcome with KTM.!
    Cal likes this.
  13. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes!! That is some expensive bits. I was guessing about half of that.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  14. AdvDna

AdvDna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Michael has always been great to deal with and is always fair. Great job Blackfoot!
    drrod1, powderzone and Lycan1 like this.
  15. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yes sticker shock for sure.

Will be buying a shock cover for mine over the winter in an effort to protect the replacement from rocks dirt etc. I want to buy as much time as possible.

TraxxionDynamicsShockSock.jpg
    Something like this.
    Cal, ScooterNoMore and powderzone like this.
  16. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has the cause of the failure been determined? A little scary thinking that moisture and dirt can be an issue on a bike meant for significant "off road" use.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with you on that!

There was a groove on the center shaft internally that allowed oil to bypass the seal but no definitive word on the cause. I heard some rumors of recall on the forum but found no real info to validate that. Techs said could have been manufacturing issue, but I may never know. Hopefully another year warranty on the new part?? I'd like to think it will be a couple of years before I even need to get it serviced at another 25-30 K.

There is a discussion about the Tractive shock that Kiwikurt started in the Orange Crush 1090 section. He's a big fan, calling stock WP junk. I disagree but he also figures the stock are not serviceable which is plain wrong.

Others have weighed in including the guy from Konflict . Worth a read. Shows there are failures and horror stories regardless of brand.

It still comes down to: if the company backs their product then they are worth supporting.
    Cal, AdvDna, drrod1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy it is solved. A good shock is a blessing.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shocking good news!
    cal08, powderzone and Lycan1 like this.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been working on lessening the buffeting on the CB500X I think I have it after a test ride today! SAM_2826.JPG SAM_2827.JPG SAM_2828.JPG SAM_2829.JPG SAM_2831.JPG
    LANCIVPT, ScooterNoMore and Lycan1 like this.