Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaaand here we go....boredom and dad jokes abound. Lol
    Lycan1 and Cal like this.
  2. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This may sound a bit weird but bear with me.

In my previous life as a large animal veterinarian, not an insignificant part of it was making the animals comfortable. Comfort = increased production efficiency. We found that a solid windbreak fence (analogous to a windshield) caused lots of close in turbulence on the leeward side. This created snow drifts that accumulated right next to the fence and on top of the animals. Allowing air to pass through the solid fence greatly diminished this by moving the turbulence a long way away from the fence and did not significantly increase the "wind" next to the fence. Think snow fence and how the drift is spaced away from the fence, not right up against it.
    The ideal ratio was 80% solid: 20% porous. Hard to do with a windshield but I found if I lifted the bottom out, away from the cowl, this allowed quite a bit of air to get behind the windshield and greatly reduced the buffeting/turbulence. The turbulent air was moved above and behind my head. Maybe try spacing the bottom out, and slanting the shield back some, will help your 500. Sure did on my ST and Vstrom.
    Here is a bit of a diagram that may explain it better.
    [​IMG]
    ScooterNoMore, Lycan1 and powderzone like this.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spaced the windshield out from the cowling 1/1/4 inch at the bottom and 1 inch at the top for about an 85% improvement. The remaining 15% of the buffeting was taken care of by these winglets. ( only tested for 2 days) I have a Givi Airflow on my V strom and it is the best windscreen I have ever had, I also built little winglets on the side of the Strom and it is like riding a Goldwing( Ive never ridden a gold wing) SAM_1047.JPG

I
    Lycan1 and drrod1 like this.
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Love this quote and can relate. Riding my 990 was like having sex with a super-model, ( I've never had sex with a super-model). :jack

Is that Dad joke.....? I guess it could be if you weren't careful...

Cal, you are almost, but not quite old enough for a Goldwing yet.
    Cal and squid61 like this.
  5. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was suffering from compression but after the good news I've rebounded.

My spirit had begun to Sag but now I have a Spring in my step....

:1drink
    cal08, skydivegazoo, Cal and 3 others like this.
  6. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mid 40s guy here. Bought a Goldwing last year to try and get my wife back riding with me. Failure. She's been on it for 2 runs to McKays for icecream and has no desire to be on it anymore. It sits a lot now. Not the bike to choose when I want to ride. It will be sold next spring.

That being said...I have ridden a Goldwing. I'm 6'2", buffetting is terrible with the stock screen in the low position. In the low position I can look over, which I prefer. To get around it I have to run the screen in the high position, which I am not a fan of and the wind is still a pain (pound the helmet in a strange and very loud way). I crouch down into the bubble and it is perfect and quiet and not a very comfortable long distance riding position. My 12 year old loves being perched up on the back seat though.

If I was to keep this bike longterm I would be going down a rabbit hole of trying to make it better in the wind department for me. Seat is cushy, stereo is great, torque is INSANE, ground clearance doesn't exist (you can grind pegs at pretty much any time you want at any speed), great luggage capacity, terrible wind/buffeting/helmet pounding for this guy.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am much to short for the goldwing, actually to short for 75% of the bikes on the market!
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Cal,

I knew that but I had to have a poke at the Goldwing crowd and comment.

The owner of Turple Brothers had a yellow Gold wing trike and he was really old and still riding. Very expensive mobility scooter.
    Jeathrow Bowdean and Cal like this.
  9. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never understood the trike thing. I have not ridden one, but it seems to embody all that is bad. eg. doesn't handle like a bike so why bother? Provides no weather protection. Much prefer something like a Miata / Honda S2000. May as well have fun and get out of the rain.
    And, the price of trikes are eye watering. An acquaintance took their Goldwing to someone up in central Alberta that does conversions and spent $35k over and above the cost of the GW:scratch
    A year later it was sold for about 60 cents on the dollar.
    Cal likes this.
  10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yep I have my mobility scooter already.

IMG_20200917_151835786_HDR.jpg
    Cheaper than a trike even 15 years ago when it was new. Black one is the Mechanics. Both backed in like real men do....
    Jeathrow Bowdean likes this.
  11. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, Glen has a gold one (I think) and still rides at 94 years old. He switched to a loaded up Spyder and toured to Nashville and back last year.
    Cal likes this.
  12. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone going out tomorrow for what could be the last
    Mechanic guy is parked on the line. Completely unacceptable.

Wife has a Mini Countryman. That thing is a beast in the snow and been a great car for us.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I was trucking back about 15 years ago heading north on highway 2 just south of Red Deer. Big snow squall and next to no visibility. Saw him going south on the wing trike. Looked yellow through the snow.
    Jeathrow Bowdean likes this.
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Supposed to snow all night into early morning hours.
    In the mechanic's defense he was likely trying to leave room for his huge door to open.

My Mini is surprisingly good in the snow. I'll add a picture of it pushing snow a few years back when I'm uploading pictures to the Southern AB thread tomorrow.

April 14 in Calgary.JPG
    Cal likes this.
  15. SilveradoCA

SilveradoCA Wildling

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'5" and ride that huge Yamapotamus in my avatar.
    Cal likes this.
  16. SilveradoCA

SilveradoCA Wildling

Oddometer:
    Walt Healy ripped around Calgary on a Venture Royale with a sidecar right up until his last. Legend.
    Lycan1 and Cal like this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Legend has it Walt delivered a piano with the sidecar rig.
    SilveradoCA likes this.
  18. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    That Cutlass 442 is a nice looking beast, too.

cal08 and Lycan1 like this.
  19. SilveradoCA

SilveradoCA Wildling

Oddometer:
    He delivered groceries on his bike as a teenager, so that fits LOL!
    Lycan1 likes this.
  20. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Not all the leaves are brown, but the sky is grey. It sure looks like a winter's day. No time for California dreaming, but I will stay safe & warm. Putting up poor man's tri-panes today.
    ScooterNoMore likes this.