1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a nice loop you could do. Quite a bit of traffic on the Trunk Road on weekends but not too bad this time of year.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/51....0x537137c1267ed7d3:0x47a2691686348b49!1m0!3e0

An inmate here in Calgary (Lycan 1) has done an extraordinary amount of work on Calgary and area rides. If you go to this thread, you can look at them. Lots have .gpx files that you can download as well.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/calgary-area-tracks.887638/
  2. sky.high

sky.high Wanna be dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Managed to sneak out for a few hours late afternoon and redeem myself of a trail I drop it on my first ride out, no ice or mud this time, the surface was dry, hard packed and a nice easy ride, just what I need to get better acquainted with the little beast, on the return I spot a green lane heading north, saving that one for @drrod1 ! 20210506_165444.jpg
  3. SK_in_AB

SK_in_AB LOOKin to GS

Oddometer:
    Thx for the ride map drrod1. I was up that direction last summer but was on my street bike so had to stay on pavement. Looks like this route will have a nice mix for my GS
  4. powderzone

powderzone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lycan1 likes this.
  5. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Went scouting dirt bike trails on the big bikes today since we can’t go to BC . Went to the Waiparous / Ghost rec area and spoke with some guys on 300’s busy climbing the river banks and another guy on a 500. Found some good camping spots and promising trails with lots of ST. IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg

Overall nice day out even if it was only on the big girls.
  6. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A hoarder you say? Me too. Thanks for reminding me it's high time I cleaned out my closets.
    Curious, did you move from the Ogio to a Klim vest? Big difference?
    powderzone likes this.
  7. powderzone

Oddometer:
    I got the Mosko R10 so I’ve moved the tools, tube and air pump out of the vest and onto the bike. Now I just wear a lightweight hydration pack.
  8. powderzone

Oddometer:
    That didn’t take long. Only the bear bin remains.
    It fits in my 12L enduristan soft panniers but it’s an awkward shape. Would be okay for a larger bags.
  9. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe Rubbermaid Renegade

Oddometer:
  10. sky.high

sky.high Wanna be dirt rider

Oddometer:
  11. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great looking day. Did you record a track? GPX file?
  12. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First off, a couple weeks ago I posted in this thread that a few of us from Calgary have started making some new tools for the ADV/Enduro market. I don't know if anyone saw the mainpage at ADVRider this morning,

https://advrider.com/engduro/

That is us. We've started a Vendor thread as well.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/engineer-enduro-equipment-engduro-com-vendor-intro.1501636/

We're pretty excited. These tools are made locally here in Calgary and we like to think they work great. Just this past Friday near the top of Limestone mountain I pulled my skid plate and removed my rectifier on my 990 after my bike died whilst sliding around a corner. The tool was in my pocket and works as intended. Very quick, handy and convenient.

[​IMG]

Of course a great day riding Friday was followed by Saturday. I'm glad we opted to grab rooms instead of setup the tent. It was a mix and match from Calgary to Nordegg. Trunk road, to Limestone, back to the trunk, twist and turn to the North Fork Road, then back to the trunk and Nordegg for the night. One of the buddies 17 year old son is riding with us on his new BMW G310GS. He was a champ running some tougher double track and generally keeping pace. He did have a little off in the greasy mud late in the day, but took it all in stride.

The highlight was when the rectifier on his father's Tiger 800XC decided to not rectify voltage, melt the starter relay, and leave a Tiger on the side to the road. We redistributed luggage, got the Tiger to a buddies place near Red Deer, and then he doubled his father on the back of his little 310 for close to 200km to the cabin at the lake. Talk about a first real adventure.

[​IMG]
  13. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the venture. Ordering 2 sets.
    EngDuro and tokenboy like this.
  14. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This looks great! I hope it goes well for you guys. I look forward to your next products.
    I think I have just solved one of my Christmas gift issues. This would also be perfect for my daughter and SIL ,who not only ride, but spend a lot of time in the backcountry skiing. They can fit this with whatever bits they need for ski bindings, etc.
    Ordered 1 set for me and 1 set for them!
    powderzone and tokenboy like this.
  15. EngDuro

EngDuro Tools to get lost with.

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
  16. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @cal08 & @drrod1 Thanks guys! We'll definitely allow for a local pickup or delivery if you don't want to wait on them being posted.

Legit functional little tools that we are pretty excited and proud of.
    cal08 likes this.
  17. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the larger sets to come out, then I'll place an order as well.
  18. pirate277

pirate277 Earl of Leisure

Oddometer:
    I lead a ride NE years ago along canals, dirt roads to Carbon. I think Lycan has posted it and contains some of the
    Rockyford ride.
    Not as much fun as some canal gates are locked sometimes.
    There used to be 13 km of continuous canal road now just maybe two 5 km chunks.

I will describe (my head map) what is good and checked out this year.

Return from Rockyford to Calgary:

SE ~ 10 km spot large hill with antenna tower
    zig zag gravel to highway go east toward tower but take road west of it .
    Turn south - seems like driveway as it comes close to farm house then goes south
    for 6 km of green lane.
    At next Twp road make slight jog east then south for another 3km of green lane.

At next Twp (think it could be around 252) go west ~ 10km of gravel and black dirt (no good when wet)

Look for two houses at top of hill for YELLOW unmaintained road sign- looks like driveway going south
    ~3km of green lane
    Take next twp road west ( maybe twp 250) cross HWY after ~ 15 km check for canal roads going west north west
    there might be gates where they cross range roads every mile
    sometimes the gates just have chain hooked but no lock

The Earl of Leisure
  19. pirate277

pirate277 Earl of Leisure

Oddometer:
    UPDATE EMTM

The Earl of Leisure has been enjoying his electric mountain bike EMTM for 1.5 years , summer and winter now with about 7000km.

I hardly ride the BIG NINJA or VSTROM.-now 72 years old

Just Calgary riding along Bow and Elbow river, Nose Hill and Fish Creek parks with has much offroad as possible.

Check out web link to Kruchexperience.com to read about his change of mind about Ebikes

and me aka the Earl of Mayland Heights.

https://www.kruchexperience.com/post/i-used-to-hate-e-bikes-and-now-i-love-them
  20. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You beat me to it; this looks idea for skiing. All it needs is a Posi 3 bit (and maybe a giant flat screwdriver bit?). A bigger big bag of bits perhaps?