Calgary area riders

Discussion in 'Canada' started by SPEEDSMITH, Dec 7, 2006.

1. SPEEDSMITH

SPEEDSMITH Sh!t Disturber

Oddometer:
    Hi there,
    I am in the midst of preparations to open a small motorcycle service shop in Calgary, in the new year.
    I am considering renting a booth at the Calgary Motorcycle Show in January.

It will cost $1500 - $2000 when it's all said and done, and I'm not sure if it's worth it at this stage.
    I'm going to have to decide by early next week, at the latest.

I guess riders not from the area can weigh in as well if they want.
    Keep in mind though that for us, the next riding season is about 4 months away.

I would appreciate your honest answers to my poll, please check all answers that apply.
    Let's assume that if you meet me there, you don't think I'm an idiot.:lol3

Thanks in advance,
    Paul.
  2. chucker

chucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving tomorrow for the Toronto bike show, meeting a buddy there. Supposed to be awesome. I will probably go again here in Calgary, just because.

I go to the dealer for parts, but generally do all my own work. I sometimes farm out things like fork seals, don't have too much experience yet with those.

Good luck on the business!:thumb
  3. Gadjet

Gadjet Gadget Freak

Oddometer:
    Well, none of your poll selections really fit my situation, but.......

I generally do all my own work on my bike, unless it's something that is covered under warranty, in which case I'll let Kawasaki foot the bill. I don't have a lot of money to spend on bike work, so anyway I can save money I'll try.

I will likely be heading to the CMS though, as I have a bunch of Calgary riding buddies that I want to try to hook up with (one of them will be moving back to England in the spring, the git).

Owen
  4. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Speedsmith - good luck with the new venture. I'm in the same boat as Gadjet... do my own work (all my bikes have been off warranty for some time) except for items that need the service of a good machine shop (cutting valve seats, bore honing, etc). Back when I took my bikes for service in Calgary (some 20 yrs ago) I found it a very painful, frustrating and expensive experience.

I usually attend the show and go out of my way to see the "little guys" and what they have to offer. The bikes of the big manufactures are not what draw me to the show, but rather the unique items and services of the niche businesses.

Cheers,
    Andy
  5. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speedsmith - what are the dates and where is it held. I'm up in Edmonton but may make it down if the timing works out.

Thanks...
  6. SPEEDSMITH

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your replies so far.
    I guess I did forget the " I do most of my own work" option, Duh!
    Oh, well it's my first poll, I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did.:lol3

The more I think about, it, and the more I talk to others in the motorcycle community, the more I think I'll pass on the show.
    The money should probably be used for something more useful.
    This whole process has definitely been a learning experience.
    Thanks, Paul.

GalacticGS, here's a link to the show info: http://www.sportshows.ca/CaCycle/
  7. Surlyguy

Surlyguy Guest

I try to do my own maintenance when ever possible. Mainly because everytime I let a shop do something it turns into a epic disaster.

The only shop I trust to touch my bike is Anderwerks but I sold the BMW and Perfromance Motorad. Paul at Performance Motorad will get my 640Adv if there is something I can't do. Been spending a lot of time talking with him and he also owns a 640 so he should know whats going on. He's also been giving me good setup advice.

And yes, I'll be going to the show.
  8. SPEEDSMITH

Oddometer:
    Yes, Paul's a good guy, I worked with him at Sport Cycle a few years ago.
  9. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I'm aiming to go skiiing that weekend, but may try to stop by on Friday.
  10. ~dirtgirl~

~dirtgirl~ Dirty girl!

Oddometer:
    I will be at the bike show some of the w/e working the Second Gear Club booth (in with the AMRA) come and say Hi, British & blonde one!

As for working on bikes, I have a useful husband who can fix just about anything so he does all the work on our bikes, we have however once used Nick Navntoft in Black Diamond when we had electrical issues with our old KTM300 and were pretty happy with the service/price etc.

Samm :D
  11. SPEEDSMITH

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for your replies. After a talking to others in the industry, and looking at the costs versus benefits, I've decided to skip the show.
    The cost actually adds up to around $6,000, once you factor the cost of having to have the shop open before March.

I think that money would be better spent, once the riding season starts.
    Of course, saying that, I'm actually going for a ride this afternoon.:D
    Some people's riding season it a bit shorter than ours!:lol3