Calgary - Fall Ride

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Stand Up, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    If the weather holds, I'm leaving Sun. am - travelling light and fast.
    Sparwood, Hartley Pass, Bull River, Whiteswan, Canal Flats, White River, Vermillion Crossing, Banff.

Wanna go?
  2. namtinker

namtinker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the approx. round trip distance? How light and fast? :ear
  3. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    396 km dirt
    333 on HWY
    One creek crossing 15" (optional)
    There are options to reduce dirt portion if we run out of light.
    Should be pretty.

Standup
  4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Is this for the long weekend?

Proly. :doh I made plans allready.
  5. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    Route with option for trunk road.
    [​IMG]
  6. namtinker

namtinker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I assume one day then. What time do you leave, from which location?

Coenraad
  7. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    Are your boots waterproof??????

[​IMG]
  8. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    We left Calgary at 9:00, headed west, to HWY 93, south to Settlers Road. Road and scenery was great, it was starting to warm up and we were taking it easy.

[​IMG]

It was a good high speed road, lots of dear signs so we took it easy, saw one big black bear. Continued south to Kootenay River FSR which headed towards Canal Flats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gassed up at Canal Flats, headed east on Whiteswan Lake FSR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left Whiteswan Lake headed east on White River FSR. After twenty minutes of riding on this weird clayish or chalky hard pack, I realized it was frozen mud. The road got worse by the km and soon turned into the worst FSR I've ever been on. The road turned south, we stopped at Monroe Lake.

[​IMG]

Coenraad lost it in the mud in second gear, landed hard on his right side...turned out he cracked a rib and tore some cartilage - probably due to the Dunlop Trainwings (I have Tourance and had no problems)

[​IMG]

The road became Bull River FSR and got even worse. We did 40 km in 2.5 hours. It wasn't alot of fun. Things got better as we got further south - this was the last water hazzard - about 16"deep.

[​IMG]

The road improved as we got further south, turned east on Sulphur / Hartley Lake Road and over the Hartley pass. Coenraad lost it again in the mud, ripped off a panier and busted a few things on the bike. He was hurtin' so bad from the previous cracked rib, he had trouble just getting on the bike let alone crashing again. He lashed the busted panier onto the back seat and we headed off again. Two minutes later it dried out and became an easy ride down to HWY 3 just north of Fernie. Gassed up in Blairmore - it was already dark and getting cold. Turned north on HWY 22 - 20 min later a bunch of deer ran across the road. One ran in front of Coenraad, one behind him and one in front of me, two more stopped and turned back into the trees. Coenraad has extra high intensity lights, we were doing about 100 km/h, and still almost bought it. We hit Black Diamond weary, cold, hurtin' and out of adrenalin.

[​IMG]

Took range roads up to 22x, agreed to meet the next day for beers and said goodbye. We met at 1:00 and were both still pumped. It was 760 km of thrills, spills and chills....we both agreed it was the perfect ride.
  9. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Howdy. You do a lot of the same roads that I like.However when I go to radium area I truck my XR650L and do mostly dirt roads and dual track in that area. I have a pal who lives there and he usually takes me to all the best places. A GS would be nice as its more dirt oriented than my Tiger. The Honda is nice for really fast dirt roading though.
  10. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    It's pretty cool, seeing some of those places.

I lived in Elkford for a while, and always wanted to go back and have a look around.