Calgary Kelowna Vancouver May 19

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Stand Up, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    We:
    [​IMG]

Are going here:

[​IMG]
    Vancouver for service. Leaving Calgary Friday May 19. Will spend a couple of days (MAY 21,22) in Kelowna:
    [​IMG]

So what's the best way to get from Kelowna to Vancouver. I'm thinking the KVR to Coalmont, Hedley, ???? If it's wet we'll take the north route through Lilloett and Whistler. Tips would be greatly appreciated.
    We want to do alot of this:

[​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]

With not alot of this:

[​IMG]

or this:
    [​IMG]

We'll be a few days in Vancouver - leaving Thur/Fri heading east. We're open to anything....and there's nothing like riding with locals to see the best stuff. Cheers.
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to check into the current status of the Kettle Valley Railway. The huge forest fire of '04 took out almost all the the tram bridges, but they are rebuilding them as we speak. Not fure of they are all done by mid to late May. You should check with B.C. Tourism.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  3. dr650bc

dr650bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    We are going to Vancouver but if anyone wants to make it a 4 day ride around the Okanagan, you are welcome to ride along. We are leaving Calgary 6:00 Friday May 19, turning south at Revelstoke, FSR to Needles, south on Kettle River FSR, past Big White, to McCulloch, KVR into Kelowna. Saturday up June Springs road, KVR to Penticton,
    OK Falls, ??????, Hedley, backroads back to Kelowna. Sunday we're doing KVR to Jelicho, stop at Coalmont for a beer, say goobye to any weekend riders who come along, then into Van on HWY 7. No plans for Monday, bikes get serviced on Wed, heading out Thursday am. No route yet but maybe Harrison or Whistler to Merrit to Kelowna. I'm in Kelowna Fri & Sat - may do Bear Creek or ????? Heading home Sun. past Mable Lake. Any tips or tours would be greatly appreciated. Everything is flexible - this is just a rough idea.
    Cheers
    Stand Up
  5. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    Here are the tentative routes. If anyone has any comments or tips, or wants to come along please leave a note. We'll be in Kelowna Friday night, riding Sat. KVR to Skaha, Sunday KVR to Coalmont - HWY 7 to Van. Hey dr650bc.... thanks for the tips - we are leaving Sunday just to miss the traffic into Van., but we are flexible....got any good ideas? I'll be watching this post while in Kelowna.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. bluenoser

bluenoser I'z da by that gets da UI

Oddometer:
    Geez, If it looks like I can get out of here (currently working in Morocco) in the next few days, may have give Anderwerks in Calgary a call and tell them to have the bike ready, looks like a nice trip.
  7. bluenoser

bluenoser I'z da by that gets da UI

Oddometer:
    The yellow GS, those arn't fuel cells are they? Come across a company a while ago who makes a aux fuel tank that looks like bed roll, can't remember who makes them.
  8. dr650bc

dr650bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys - I am working on a plan to meet up with you - will likely leave vancouver fri am , watch the hillclimb practice runs Sat & ride back to VCR with you on sunday - lots of interesting ways to get back.
  9. CochraneDakar

CochraneDakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The wife and i will be in Kelowna on the long weekend and are taking our bikes with us.

Where do we jump on the KVR near Kelowna to go to Skaha? I assume bikes are alllowed??

Thanks
  10. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    June Springs Road is probably the best way. Climb up to the KVR turn south. Hundreds of people drive this section on the weekend to go have a look at the last remaining trussel.
    [​IMG]

There's a sign there saying something about it being a provincial park or something. If there are people around - take it easy. Past this trussel is the longest rock cut. If the water is too deep, there is a bypass road on your right.
    [​IMG]
    Stop at Chute Lake Lodge for apple pie and ice cream - check out the antiques. When you get to Naramata, get off at the first road you come across, I think it's Sutherland Rd. North of this point along the KVR, there are signs posted that say "Motorized Vehicle Speed Limit 30 kph". South of here, it is posted No motorized vehicles. Stop at a winery or two, cruise Naramata and into Penticton. I've never been around Skaha, it looks like Lakeside Road goes down the east side. KVR is on the west side - don't know if it's rideable. Check out the Agricultural Research Center just north of Penticton off the HWY - park here and walk over to one of the highest trussels on the KVR. Come back on the west side on Garnet Valley Road. Lots of other little side trips - get a good map and go for it.
    Cheers
  11. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    Frickin' rain....cancelled the trip to Vancouver, I just went to Kelowna for the long weekend. It's pouring rain, so thought I'd post this now. Slabbed it to Revelstoke, turned south, headed down west side of Arrow Lake.
    [​IMG]

When you get to the sign that says Recreation Site?, turn down here.
    [​IMG]

You'll find the nicest little camp ground with 8 spots, go a bit further south to:
    [​IMG]
    "Just close the door when you leave".

Inside was all the required dual sport rider reading material.
    [​IMG]

A few meters down to the beach:
    [​IMG]

About 30km south. The view across to Nakusp
    [​IMG]

Wanted to take the ferry at Arrow Park, but they shut down from 12:05 till 2:15. I was 10 min late.[​IMG]

So, I went east to Whatshan Lake and down to HWY 33.
    [​IMG]

Had to take the ferry at Needles to Fauquier to buy gas (Regular only), crossed again to take HWY 6 West. The best twisties in BC. Turn south on the Kettle River FSR. It sucked. Climb over some skidder road to Trapping Creek FSR.
    [​IMG]

Went north on HWY33 to McCullough and got on the Kettle Valley Railway.

[​IMG]
    There were 15 water hazards, the longest about 20m.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and into Kelowna
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was a little late for a swim at the beach - so went for beers at the pool.
    [​IMG]
  12. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian...at least your keeping dry. Bike service can wait. West side of Arrow Lake is dual sport paradise. :nod

[​IMG]
  13. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    Headed out on the Connector - got off at Loon Lake exit:
    [​IMG]

Paved all the way to Kentucky-Alleyne Provincial Park, and paved out to HWY 5a. Watch out for deer. South (1 km) on HWY 5A to Otter Valley Rd.
    [​IMG]
    Paved for about the first 16 km then good FSR. At 49 deg 47 min S jump onto the Kettle Valley Railway to Brookmere:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This part of the KVR is regularly travelled by farmers that have the KVR as their only access, so no worries about the Trans Canada Trail Issue here. West of Brookmere, it looks more lke an ATV track:
    [​IMG]
    Spent about an hour trying to get onto the Coquihalla south and east of Brookmere.
    [​IMG]

Came up against a BIG hill - didn't want to risk it, so headed north to the Coldwater Rd Exit 256. Was seriously low on gas and luckily ran into Wayne from Kelowna who was taking a break:
    [​IMG]

I mentioned I was fuel needy and.... guess what's in the trailer???? A gallon jug of premium. I had to beg Wayne to take $$$$ for the gas but I was relieved and very greatfull. Thanks again Wayne.
    HWY 1 to Vancouver, got serviced at John Valk:
    Hey.....who's bikes are these??? Ewin? Charlie?
    [​IMG]

In case you've never been to Vancouver, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    spent 4 days beaching, drinking, walking and bicycling.
    Headed out Thursday am - HWY 7 to Harrison, thought about doing Harrison east to Boston Bar, but it looked pretty isolated and wet:
    [​IMG]

Went to Hope, up the Coquihalla to Coquihalla Lakes exit 228 - just past the Toll booth.
    [​IMG]

Turned off on Tulameen Lawless-Britton FSR towards Tulameen. Started raining, a few good slip and slides but never went down.
    [​IMG]

This road sign is about 30 km from Tulameen says "Coalmont Hotel"....it made me want to go for a beer, but I was planning on heading north of Tulameen.

[​IMG]
    Here's Otter Lake with the trussel in the background. Tulameen has about 300 residents and you can buy gas there. At Brookmere - 40 residents - no gas.
    [​IMG]

Headed north on the KVR.

This has got to be the world's longest "water crossing" - could have got some great action shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Washed all that mud off.....
    [​IMG]

One of the many nice bridges:
    [​IMG]

A few gates to go through:
    [​IMG]

Now - the issue of - are we allowed to ride the KVR??? The KVR on the east side of Otter Lake has signs that say:
    [​IMG]
    Clearly no motorbikes or ATVs. The bridge leaving Tulameen was black with rubber from ATV tires. I imagine the locals aren't thrilled when city slickers come out and tell them they are not allowed on the trail because they may disturb the other city slickers that are out there walking or biking. I was there on a rainy Thursday morning...don't think I disturbed anyone. If it had been a nice Sunday, with kids and grannies in wheelchairs, I would have bypassed the busy bits and gotten on the KVR after the lake. The sign from then on said:
    [​IMG]
    So.....just don't piss anyone off and we should be able to enjoy alot of the KVR for years to come. Kept going north till I hit a burned out trussel:
    [​IMG]
    Now you can go NE on Otter Valley Rd to HWY 5A or keep going east on the KVR to Tulameen.
    That's it for this trip. Will do the KVR - Summerland to Princeton and Princeton to Tulameen on the BC Big Trailie Ride.
    Happy trails,
    Stand Up
  14. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap Another great report from Standup.

:lurk