Calgary to Alaska with my Son as Passenger

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Geckotb, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve met people touring 2-up with their kids but I couldn’t find any ride reports of someone taking their kid all the way to Alaska, so thought I’d post this in case anyone else is considering this kind of trip. More importantly, this should be a good way to remember this trip when the details start to fade and will let some friends see how it all went.

Me: 51 yrs old, started riding when I was 18. Was away from motorcycles for a bunch of years after a bad accident but I spend a LOT of time on 2 wheels - road and mtn biking so never lost my comfort with riding. Got back into motorcycles a few years ago.

My son: Yuji - 11 yrs old, loves riding and having adventures, obsessed with going to new places. Really strong with a great attitude. Some of his big goals for the trip are seeing Mt Denali and going to Jasper.

The bike: 2009 Honda CBF1000A

Bike prep:

I added a front fender extender and rear hugger. Custom gel inserts in the seats for added comfort.

Invested in new Michelin Road 5 tires based on reviews of wet road performance and durability.

New chain, air filter and an oil change.

There are some reports of CBF’s melting their stator and regulator so I carried spares of those, and a spare headlight bulb. Probably a bit paranoid, but I didn’t want to be stranded weeks away from home with a kid to take care of. The CBF was never sold in the US so spare parts would all have to be special order from Canada. It’s just easier to carry spares than special order and wait for Fedex in case of a breakdown. Tried to add some engine sliders but one bolt in the set I received had wonky threads so those didn’t work out. I couldn’t get another replacement set in time so went without.

I have a Givi box on the back and bought the biggest soft saddlebags I could find - Oxford P60s. Those and a tank bag were all our luggage space. Packing everything for 2 people, spares and tools was definitely a challenge. The Oxford bags came with a bunch of adjustable straps attached, way more than necessary. I spent quite a while figuring out the best way to mount them securely. I ended up taking off all but the lowest straps to hold them down, and customized a rubber bungee cord to run under the fender for side-to-side stability.

20190909_080809.jpg

20190909_080753.jpg
    Trip prep:

Yuji and I have done several bike trips together but never anything this long, so lots more planning and prep was needed.

Mostly the standard: looking at ride reports on advrider and reading the Milepost for research . After lots of back and forth, I ended up deciding to get hotels every night. The thought of camping in a wet tent with a wet kid after riding all day in the rain was not appealing. To keep the fun factor high and suffer factor low for Yuji, I built a daily travel itinerary and used that to book hotels in advance. Most places had lots of rooms available but we hit a few places on the trip that were fully booked so I was glad I made the effort. I thought that security was worth the trade-off of lack of flexibility.

A big rule of thumb when traveling with kids: Twice the planning means (hopefully) half the potential whining.

The route:

North to Edmonton, Grand Prairie, Fort Nelson, then Whitehorse. Then up to Fairbanks and down to Anchorage. Then the ferry from Whittier to Prince Rupert, across to Jasper, then home. This way we would do a loop and not ride any roads twice. Since I have a passenger, we’ll be sticking to paved roads only. Yuji wants to do the Top of the World Highway; I considered it but decided against. Even though the chance of a crash is slim, if we did slip and go down the consequences would be high.

(I try to find a balance between being a nervous helicopter parent and taking him on cool but safe adventures. For example, I take him out backcountry skiing, which many people would think is stupid dangerous for a kid, but I make sure to minimize his exposure to avalanche terrain and review safety protocols every trip to balance things out. Going to Alaska is a big trip with lots of unknowns, so I want to mitigate as many risks as I can with planning and conservative route choice.)

With a kid on the back, 1000km days were out of the question. Our longest day of this trip was just shy of 600km. (We’ve done longer days than that in the past but fewer days in a row.) I packed all our longest travel days into the first week of the trip so we could relax and enjoy the trip more as bike fatigue settled in.

Those are the high points of the preparation, so now for the trip itself!
  2. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 1 - July 8:

Calgary to Edmonton

After all the planning, finally started the trip! As I backed the bike out of the garage I got a weird rush of anxiety thinking about all the things that could go wrong with the bike or Yuji, or how he would handle something happening to me, etc…

I clamped down on all of that and started riding. Once we got on the highway I relaxed and just got on with it.

We had really nice weather to Edmonton. Nothing much to report for this part, just a long straight highway for a few hours.

Spent the night at my brother’s house for a visit.
    chris4652009 and boristhebold like this.
  3. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 2 - July 9:

Edmonton to Grande Prairie

This was the longest day of the trip. Lots of rain for most of the day but our rain gear was awesome and we stayed dry. I have waterproof Gore-Tex boots so knew I’d be okay in the rain. Yuji has motocross boots that the shop said aren’t waterproof at all. I bought him some bootie covers but he struggles to get them on so he wanted to try going without and it turned out his boots were enough to keep his feet dry. Happy kid!

Just north of Edmonton we saw a sign talking about the Alaska Highway. We were too excited to actually read the sign so assumed we had started the Alaska Highway; of course it just says we’re on the way to it.
    01-DSC_2543.JPG

I had a sore ass and wrist by the end of the day, even with the gel seats. I have a throttle lock but it’s cheap and pretty finicky so need some practice keeping my speed smooth and constant while using it.

First gas stop was Whitecourt to warm up with hot chocolate and swap out gloves.

Then we stopped for gas and awesome burgers in Valleyview.

Next gas stop was in Fox Creek. There was road construction in front of the gas stations with mud so deep I almost got stuck. I didn’t realize the tires got completely coated in that mud so I just about put the bike down pulling back onto the highway and had to go really slow until the rain washed off the mud. It stopped raining as soon as we got to Grande Prairie.

In Grande Prairie we visited N America’s biggest sundial.
    03-DSC_2546.JPG

After dinner we went climbing at the local college wall.

I’m a climber and made a point of bring our shoes and chalkbag. It wasn’t the best climbing gym I’ve ever been to but it was fine. At least it was nice to get some exercise after being on the bike all day.
  4. 89hawk

89hawk n00b

Oddometer:
    sounds like a great trip
  5. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 3 - July 10:

Grande Prairie to Fort Nelson

Our hotel in Grande Prairie was being renovated so no free breakfast in the morning. Kind of a ripoff since I paid a bit extra to stay somewhere decent and get breakfast.

This was another long day in the saddle. Not long after we started we saw Canada’s biggest beaver!
    05-DSC_2550.JPG

My butt was sore by noon but I’m getting better at using the throttle lock so my wrist felt fine.

A note about the throttle lock: when I’m riding solo I don’t care as much about being smooth so it’s not an issue to keep resetting it when going up or down a hill. When I have a child passenger I try hard to smooth out the accelerations and decelerations so he doesn’t get whipped back and forth too much, so I’m making lots of micro-adjustments. Almost defeats the point of having it but I think it does save some cramping in the long run.

Next stop was Dawson Creek, for the obligatory photo of the start of the Alaska Highway! Right after Dawson Creek, it rained for a couple hours.
    06-DSC_2560.JPG

After that, a quick gas stop was in Fort St John and again in Wonowan.
    It could totally change by next year, but this year there was nothing at Wonowan at all except one gas station with a dirt parking lot. This is basically a staging area for oilfield operations; across the highway there are tons of construction trailers used as temporary motels for oil workers. I work for a gas company so it was kind of cool seeing trucks with my company’s logo going out to do actual work, while I just sit in my office in Calgary.

We were hungry so settled for eating nasty gas station pizza sitting on concrete blocks in the dirt lot.

The weather finally got better after leaving Wonowan. Next gas stop was Buckinghorse Creek. I was really feeling the day’s riding so fell asleep on a picnic table for a while. I was relieved to find gas here as we saw a sign that said next services were not until Fort Nelson. I figured we probably had just enough gas to make it the whole way but never want to push it to bottom of the tank when I’m responsible for my son.

The gas station itself was something I’ve never seen before: 2 steel shipping containers enclosing a tank for regular and diesel. It took me a while to figure out where to pay, in a little booth attached to one of the containers. At home I’m pretty picky about what gas I put in the bike; I got over that really quick when I didn’t have a choice! I wish I had a picture of the gas, but at least I found some pics and a good explanation of it here:
    http://walkaboutwithwheels.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-automated-gas-station-at-bucking.html

We crossed our first metal bridge getting to Fort Nelson. Felt super sketchy but just took it slow.

It was quite hot there but I didn’t mind after the chilly wet morning.

Yuji had his favorite meal of nachos for dinner, then we borrowed a free DVD from the hotel to watch a movie in our room with snacks. This was a great way to relax after a long day.
  6. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 4 - July 11:

Fort Nelson to Watson Lake

This was an amazing day! Looking back, this ended up being by far my favorite day of riding for the whole trip.

We had perfect weather right from the start. There was amazing riding over Summit Pass; nice, decent twisty roads and stunning scenery. Sadly, I’m new to using a Gopro and had trouble getting it working while riding so ended up with no good footage of our best riding.

Still, we finally made it to the Yukon!
    20190711_162118.jpg

In just this one day we saw:

· 10 bears, 3 of them grizzlies

· Big horn sheep

· Elk

· Deer

· Several herds of bison crossing the road

· Large solo male bison rolling on their backs having a dust bath with their hooves in the air
    09-P1080385.JPG

There was lots of dusty gravel in long construction zones. Before the longest zone, we met a really cool road control guy who waved us to the front of the line so we could ride up front, not having to eat the dust of the trucks.

I was a bit nervous riding on the gravel with Yuji on the back but got the hang of it quickly. I just had to remind him to not squirm around at all in the gravel. I wanted to keep my speed way down in the gravel but didn’t want to have a truck tailgating me in case we slid out with him too close to stop, so kept my speed at the upper range of my comfort zone.

We stopped for gas and a great lunch at Northern Rockies Lodge. Yuji loved the seriously cool wooden carved map of the Yukon in their dining room.
    07-DSC_2581.JPG

After lunch we stopped at Liard River Hot Springs. For anyone travelling up this way in the future, this is an absolute must stop! The camp attendant let me park my bike in front of her hut so she could watch our bags while we soaked in the hot springs. Even after reading glowing reviews of the hot springs I didn’t expect it to be so incredible. A natural hot springs in a river without any of the built-up infrastructure you find in Banff or Radium, I wanted to stay here for hours. Yuji said he liked the springs, but he had a horsefly following him around landing on his head, and found a tiny dead frog in the cool end of the springs, so that tempered his enthusiasm a bit.
    08-DSC_2585.JPG

In Watson Lake, I had an interesting Chinese dinner at Nuggets but kept eyeing Yuji’s bison burger as it looked way better.

We made a sign out of a tin pie plate we bought at the grocery store and added it to the signpost forest. I expected a couple posts with signs; totally didn’t expect the volume of signs. Very cool!!!
    20190711_185229.jpg
    20190712_083632.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 5 - July 12:

Watson Lake to Whitehorse

Had breakfast at Kathy’s Kitchen and shared a table with a nice couple from California who gave us tips for things to see in Fairbanks and Anchorage.

It was another drizzly start to the day.

After we rode 25km we passed a sign that said no services for 250km at Teslin! I thought 25km after the last town is a pretty stupid place to put sign like that. I got nervous right away since that would put us at 275km, which is really close to my 300km range. I started keeping the revs down so we could sip gas and try to conserve a buffer in case we ran into construction and needed to idle for a while. We rode through a few wet muddy gravel construction zones, so it was good to keep the speed down anyway.

I was super excited to find a surprise gas station after 150km! I told the owner about the sign that said there were no services and she said she’s been trying to get the Yukon government to change it for a couple years so people know she’s there, but still struggling with red tape.

Next stop was Teslin for more gas and lunch. I had awesome clam chowder and tried bannock for my first time. I didn’t care for the evil metal bridge before Teslin though.

Next stop was finally Whitehorse! We were both really happy to get here. Whitehorse meant that our longest riding days are done, and we had our first full rest day coming up.
    20190712_145020.jpg

I dropped off Yuji to relax at our hotel and took care of the bike. I rented a torque wrench for free at NAPA and adjusted and cleaned the chain, and went to a car wash to get rid of some of the past week’s bugs and mud.

We had an amazing dinner at the Coast Hotel, then got laundry out of the way so we could relax tomorrow.

We stayed at the Town and Mountain hotel which smelled moldy and wet.

I was very tired but had trouble getting to sleep. Yuji had no such trouble and was snoring as soon as his head hit the pillow.
  8. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 6 - July 13:

Hanging out in Whitehorse

The staff at the visitor center recommended taking a bus tour of Kluane National Park as a good rest day activity so we could see the area. Unfortunately, this turned out to be mostly a waste of time and money. It was not cheap, and most of the drive was out to Haines Junction, where we would be driving through the next day anyway. On the plus side, we had a nice lunch at Kathleen Lake and it was a great chance for Yuji to let off some pent-up energy, skipping rocks for an hour. During the ride back to Whitehorse we saw a couple grizzlies on the side of the road.
    10-DSC_2606.JPG

Some of our fellow bus tourists commented on how lucky Yuji was to get a trip like this and how he would remember it for the rest of his life. I actually think I’m just as lucky that I have a kid who’s interested in this big an adventure and can tolerate long days in the saddle. This trip is for sure way more fun with Yuji than it would have been solo.

For the rest of the evening we had a fantastic dinner at the Klondike Restaurant, then walked around shopping for souvenirs and gifts.
  9. aDave

aDave Lovin' Life!

Oddometer:
    Good on ya dad for showing such love for your son! What a beautiful memory created. Much respect.

Dave
    chris4652009 likes this.
  10. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 7 - July 14:

Whitehorse to Destruction Bay

Since we had only a short ride for the day, we spent the morning in Whitehorse. After a very tasty breakfast at the Baked Café we went to the longest wooden fish ladder in North America. We got a tour from a very enthusiastic volunteer. I thought this was a fascinating place to visit, seeing how the salmon could use the ladder to swim upstream against the power of a dam. We also saw a fox checking things out, not at all concerned about getting close to us.

20190714_104706.jpg

Looking around Whitehorse, I regretted even more taking the bus tour to Kluane the day before, wishing we had another day to see the town.

After lunch, we got back on the bike and rode to Haines Junction. We stopped to look at a few things I saw from yesterday's bus, like some cool signs and an old bridge.
    11-DSC_2625.JPG

We planned to go on an air tour of the glaciers from Haines Junction, but our flight ended up getting cancelled due to smoke from nearby forest fires. Yuji was super disappointed to not get to see the Lowell Glacier since it was one of the main things he wanted on this trip, but I was impressed with the tour company’s honesty. They left it up to us whether we wanted to go, as there was enough visibility to fly, but their pilot didn’t think we would get our money’s worth being barely able to see the ground. More companies should be this honest with its customers!

Riding into Destruction Bay, we got hit with an unexpected intense but brief rain shower.

We stayed at the Talbot Arms Motel, the only option here, behind the gas station. After some surprisingly decent wings in the restaurant, we watched a movie on Netflix.

No animal sightings today. :(
    chris4652009 likes this.
  11. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 8 - July 15:

Destruction Bay to Tok

We were excited to finally get to Alaska so had a quick breakfast and got an early start. We stopped in Beaver Creek – the westernmost town in Canada - for gas, lunch, and the post office to mail home a large souvenir I didn’t feel like carrying the rest of the way. Unfortunately, there was no real restaurant here so we had to settle for some junk food snacks.

Since the post office hadn’t opened yet when we arrived, we killed time in the visitor center. I had a great chat with the elderly gentleman working there, who showed me his antique bicycle and car. I’m a huge bike nerd so loved the old bike.

A bit further on, we crossed the Alaskan border! We took the obligatory pictures at the sign and spent a while chatting with some other riders.
    20190715_132030.jpg

The border guard was super friendly; he said he didn’t see many kids motorcycling through there so Yuji got lots of attention.

From here it rained the rest of the way to Tok but the rain stopped as soon as we pulled into town. First, we checked out the visitor center to figure out where our motel was. Yuji thought the taxidermied animals were extra snarly so kind of creepy.

Some souvenir shopping and a snack at the Thai food truck, then rode to Cleft of the Rock B&B. We had a really cute cabin; fantastic place!
    20190715_154421.jpg

To finish off the day, we had awesome burgers for dinner at Fast Eddy’s. I really wanted dessert but the portions here are huge so I couldn't manage another bite, which is actually a good thing. Between limited food options, my holiday mentality and a general lack of willpower, it's SO easy to fatten up on this trip. Not looking forward to counting the number of notches I'll need to loosen my belt when we get back.
  12. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 9 - July 16:

Tok to Fairbanks

Started the day with an excellent breakfast at the B&B.

The guy in the cabin beside ours rode his V-Strom the day before all the way from Watson Lake, over 1000km! He said he was so sore by the time he got to Tok he could barely get off his bike.

It rained pretty much all day. Once again, SO glad I invested in proper rain gear for us. Even so, I was getting pretty tired of it by the end of the day.

We stopped in Delta Junction – the end of the Alaska Highway! I assumed it ran all the way to Fairbanks, so it was a fun surprise to find out we'd already ridden it end-to-end.

20190716_114633.jpg
    Yuji liked the giant mosquitoes...

13-DSC_2645.JPG

...and the interesting road warning signs.

12-DSC_2643.JPG

We planned to have lunch in Delta, but didn’t see any decent restaurants so decided to push through.

From here, the rain got worse and the traffic heavier, so I started getting miserable from all the road spray. Yuji didn’t seem bothered by any of it though. The traffic made me realize how spoiled I’d gotten since we left Grande Prairie with next to no traffic on the roads.

I needed some food and a break from the rain and car-spray so we stopped at McDonald’s at the North Pole. This looked like a fun town for Yuji with all the candy cane light posts and Santa-themed stuff, but I was tired and didn’t feel like walking around in the rain so we just got back on the bike after a quick snack.

A little later, we finally arrived in Fairbanks, the most northerly point of our ride! This was an exciting moment for us both after all the planning and riding.

And once again, the rain stopped as soon as we pulled into town. This ended up being an annoying trend for the whole trip: rain during the day and dry at our destination. I suppose it would be worse than the opposite; at least we had a break from the rain every evening enjoy seeing the sights.

We stayed at Sophie Station Suites – very nice!

First, we had a surprisingly decent dinner in the hotel restaurant, then went climbing at the local gym. I had a great bouldering session; very good setting here and friendly staff. The gym owner said people thought he was nuts building a climbing gym in Fairbanks, but it ended up fostering a great local community of climbers so was totally worth it. After climbing, Yuji and I played ping pong on the gym’s table before heading back to the hotel.

I took care of laundry while Yuji watched shark week on TV.
  13. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 10 - July 17:

Hanging out in Fairbanks

As per advice from my cousin who used to live in Fairbanks, we had breakfast at Sourdough Sam’s. Awesome pancakes!

After breakfast we went on a riverboat tour. I was skeptical at first, seeing a bunch of tour buses unload hundreds of seniors, but the boat tour turned out to be really interesting. I especially liked how the tour guide sounded exactly like Bob Barker!
    1-DSC_2664.JPG
    At the turnaround point, everyone got off the boat in a replica of an old native village where locals gave talks about native life, salmon fishing, live reindeer and dog sledding. I chatted with the dog sled lady and she agreed to give me and Yuji a tour that evening from her house.

After this, we went back downtown and spent some time souvenir shopping and had a better-than-expected Thai lunch.

For dinner we went to a place called Brewster’s, because it had the same name as a place we sometimes eat back home. The food was okay, but I was grossed out because the restaurant was seriously filthy. Walls and shelves were covered in sticky, greasy dust. I fully expected to get food poisoning here, but we lucked out with no sickness. Portions were massive, but I’d never go back.

After dinner we rode out to the dog sled place and had the best experience of the trip so far. I highly recommend Golden Heart Dog Tours. Laura was amazing. She introduced us to all the dogs (who were losing their minds in excitement over going for a run). We got to help harness the dogs and get them clipped onto the line hooked up to a side-by-side quad. The way the dogs were flipping around I thought it would be hard to get their harnesses on, but they calmed right down as soon as we slipped it over their head, long enough to get their legs in, then got excited all over again.

20190717_203942.jpg

We rode out onto some dirt roads, narrow bush trails and through ponds. Yuji had a blast. For anyone taking kids to Fairbanks, I can’t recommend this highly enough!

20190717_210353.jpg

We got back to the hotel around 11pm tired and happy from an excellent day. Yuji could only stay awake for a few minutes of more Shark Week before falling asleep.
  14. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 11 - July 18:

Fairbanks to Denali/Healy

Today was a short ride through beautiful twisty mountain roads. No rain at all today, so we could really enjoy the riding.

We stayed at the Denali Park Hotel, where our room was basic but clean and decent. Wifi was barely usable but I think that’s to be expected out in the mountains, far from any urban centers so no complaints from me.

With such as short ride we arrived in the early afternoon, with plenty of time to ride into the park. We went on a beautiful easy hike on the Horseshoe Lake Trail. As always, I’m happy for any chance for us to get off the bike and blow off some steam. Yuji especially liked this hike. I read that this is a popular route so it would probably be crowded but we saw hardly any other people. I guess "crowded" has a different meaning up north than somewhere like Banff!

15-DSC_2683.JPG

Then we spent some time looking at the cool visitor center.

Based on Visitor Center staff recommendation, we booked a bus tour for the next day into the park. You’re only allowed to drive 15 miles into Denali Park, so if you want to see anything beyond that, a bus is the only option.

Our hotel was about a 10 minute ride from the park gate and townsite. Some would see this as a negative, but the short ride is really beautiful, so I didn’t mind at all riding back and forth a bunch of times while we were there.

Dinner was at the Black Diamond Grill in Healy. The food here is fantastic with big portions. There is a golf course beside the restaurant, and according to the sign: mini golf! Yuji was really psyched to do this after dinner, but we found out that frost heaves that spring had destroyed the mini golf course so we were out of luck.

I was pretty happy to just spend the rest of the evening relaxing in the hotel.
  15. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 12 - July 19:

Touring in Denali Park

We took a tour bus to Eielson Station.

We were late getting to the bus, my fault for forgetting our bus tickets in the motel, so had to race back and forth from the park entrance. Luckily, they put us on the next bus to Wonder Lake – further than we paid for – as long as we agreed to get off at Eielson. This turned out to be lucky for another reason. I’d paid for a regular non-guided bus, but the driver we got said he gets bored driving without talking so would rather give us a guided trip. He made the long drive more interesting by pointing out all the interesting park features and telling stories, and stopping every time anyone saw an animal. All in all, we saw several grizzlies, a moose, a bunch of caribou (including one wearing a radio collar), and some eagles. Pretty cool day for Yuji!

16-DSC_2743.JPG

17-DSC_2748.JPG

18-DSC_2787.JPG
    From Eielson Station, we hiked down the Gorge Creek Trail and found a way to cross the creek getting our feet only a little wet. We actually started the hike by joining a guided tour, but ducked out half-way to explore on our own.
    1-DSC_2708.JPG

Yuji really liked the wild-but-tame ground squirrels who came right up to his feet at the visitor center.
    1-DSC_2756.JPG

When we got back to Eielson, the bus that had dropped us off on its way to Wonder Park had just arrived on its return trip. More luck! So, we got to rejoin our friendly driver and hear more stories on the way back.

On the not-so-lucky side, one of Yuji’s main goals for the entire trip was to see Mt Denali. Unfortunately, it too drizzly and cloudy all day to see it, which is apparently the norm. In spite of this, we both thought visiting Denali Park was worthwhile for the cool stuff we did get to se.

Back at the townsite, we got custom matching T-shirts made to commemorate the trip.

We had dinner at a place called 49th State as it was recommended by some locals. I thought the food was just so-so. Yuji had his favorite meal of nachos, but these were just bad. Instead of being baked with cheese they were regular chips with gross, luke-warm fake cheese sauce poured on top, turning it into a soggy mess. I would expect that at a hockey game, but not at a proper restaurant.
    Shin1ichi2002 and chris4652009 like this.
  16. Geckotb

Geckotb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 13 - July 20:

Healy to Anchorage

We were both pretty tired so slept in a got a late start.

We had solid rain from Healy to Trappers Creek. Yet another day of rain while riding, and dry at our destination! The rain killed my normal interest in stopping for photos, so nothing really to show for the day. But, as always, nice to have sunny weather at our destination.

Our first gas stop was in Cantwell. The gas station staff said there were no restaurants here, so we choked down some microwaved hotdogs in the gas station for lunch.

Next stop was Trappers Creek. Concentrating on riding in the rain through slippery construction zones for a couple hours must have made me tired, so I took a quick nap on a picnic table outside the gas station. At least it stopped raining after this, so we could stow away the rain gear.

It was dry, but the roads continued to suck through looooong construction zones, and the traffic kept getting heavier as we got closer to Anchorage. I started longing for the quiet roads in the Yukon where we would only see 3 or 4 cars all day.

Eventually traffic got better when we got to the freeway outside Anchorage.

We stayed at the Voyager Inn. This is a small hotel but our room was large and clean. We could park for free in the lot across the street, so I was able to see the bike from our window and keep an eye on it.

That evening we went to see the Apollo 11 documentary. After we walked out, I realized that today was July 20, the actual 50th anniversary of the launch, so that was pretty cool!
    chris4652009 likes this.
  17. JVmustride

JVmustride n00b

Oddometer:
    My children are my absolute favorite to share adventures with. Thanks for the great pictures!!
  18. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, my girls are now grown up but both served their time as apprentices on the back of the bike....and loved it. Glad your boy is loving his trip...he'll certainly remember it for years to come.
  19. IndiBiker

IndiBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. Nice to see your son so happy. I am sure he came back with some great memories and stories to tell his friends.
  20. RokLobster

RokLobster Far from sanity

Oddometer:
    :lurk