Calgary to Vancouver May 2006

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Stand Up, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    Hey all. I'm watching "Long Way Around" on TV and am getting hyped about next year. I'm going to Vancouver for my 20,000 km service in May. Probably ride and camp - no cooking, but may hostel it. Route out is Morley, HWY 1a, Roger's pass, Revelstoke, south on west side of Arrow Lake.

[​IMG]
    Across from Nakusp
    [​IMG]

South
    [​IMG]
    Along Whatshawn Lake
    [​IMG]
    to HWY 6 west of Needles. The best twisties in BC. To Lumby turn south, FSR to McCulloch, Kettle Valley Railway
    [​IMG]
    into Kelowna. Stay a day ride KVR Kelowna - Penticton - ??[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FSR to Merrit, HWY 6 to Spences Bridge. Reride the BC Dual Sport "Dead Zone" ride from last year. This is Calling Lake.[​IMG]

Then on to my favorite road to Lillooet. If dry and if the bridge has been rebuilt, down the west side of Harrison Lake. Or through Whistler to Vancouver. Stay at Jericho beach hostel. Get serviced at John Valk. I'll be booking my service soon, so if you're in let me know.

[​IMG]

Return trip is HWY 3, FSR, KVR, Nelson, Gray Creek Pass if open, Kimberley, Bull River, Hartley pass if dry - totally dry, Coleman, Trunk Road, Range Roads to Calgary.
    I'm thinking a week or 10 days. Hopefully 40% off HWY. If it's wet, will stay on HWY. No night riding.

Cheers Stand Up
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you find out about these FS roads? It looks like an awsome tour!!
    Ciao, Steve G.
  3. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    If a road isn't on the GPS software, it's probably a little tough for a GS, although some of them are fine.

The Backroad maps are indispensible - they cover all of southern BC and AB. The mountain biking books are good because they indicate on every trail what other traffic to expect (motorized, horse, etc), difficulty, distance, elevation gain, double/single track, highlights etc. The great divide book says it's 2 months on a mountain bike from Canada to Mexico..... a GS can apparently do it in 8 days......Lot's of people have done it (see link at bottom) and I'm thinking of doing it late August.
    [​IMG]

Usually I watch the North and East coordinates on the GPS and follow on the map unless I've programed in a route.
    [​IMG]

This is the best thing I've seen on the great divide ride.
    http://bigdogadventures.com/CD.htm
  4. machman

machman means well

Oddometer:
    ...potentially interested. However, that's a long haul on an XR650L. Keep me/us up to date though!
  5. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pic taken on the west side of Upper Arrow lake looking north. Galena Bay on the right and Shelter Bay on the left.

I have to pickup my gspd in storage in Vancouver next spring, so I may be looking for riders going east. :nod [​IMG]
  6. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Ah the Kootenays!
  7. givitsum

givitsum Scottish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Calgary to Vancouver for a service---Wow---looks like a great ride---I'm in the UK but have just bought a low-mileage R100GS in Detroit---hope to cumover and ride west probably through Montana in the spring---a nice thought to hook up in Calgary and cut thro' the Rockies with sumwun who knows the way---maybe you can tell me when spring starts in that part of the world----givit
  8. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    I figure if I can keep half of my 1972 BMW2002tii in my kitchen for 2 years, I can store my bike over the winter. Can't decide if I should start it every 3 weeks or not??

[​IMG]
    See you in the dirt next year