1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Calgary to Victoria October 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AMEretired, Oct 17, 2020.

1. AMEretired

AMEretired Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had a plan, of course we did. We would be on the road for my 73rd birthday just as we have been for my last 5 birthdays. As our plans to return to Europe are on hold we would ride Frigg ( our GS ) into the BC wine country for a few days and then off to Victoria where he could remain for the Winter.
    However, when the tires I ordered did not arrive in time, (my fault entirely), the plan fell apart.
    As accommodation was paid for and non refundable, we needed a new plan.
    Sadly a car trip was to be in our future.

It's never easy to tell one of the family that they have to stay home.
    [​IMG]

That is not to say there would be hardship.
    We did have a couple of things for our private use that would ease the pain, a lot.
    One of these.
    [​IMG]
    And one of these.
    [​IMG]

Shelley
    [​IMG]
    And I
    [​IMG]

Had a great time learning more about these.
    [​IMG]

We thoroughly enjoyed Penticton and the Naramata area.
    My birthday meal upheld the tradition and was absolutely incredible !!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was, however, a bit more expensive traveling by car.
    [​IMG]

If I am to be honest, as much as we love to travel by bike, this trip was better served by car.

We arrived home to find the tires, and Frigg waiting patiently for our return.
    We needed a new plan-- again.
    A short weather window was open before Winter put pain to all moto travel so:
    Frigg and I would spend 5 days slowly making our way to Victoria and Shelley, sadly, would stay home as she had some other business to attend to.

Tires warmed up and mounted. A little help heating the tires is needed as leaving them outside to warm in Calgary in October is not all that useful.

[​IMG]

Day one would be sunny and a bit cool taking us from Calgary to Creston BC.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perhaps a bit slow at times.
    [​IMG]

The scenery, however, did not disappoint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2 Creston BC to Nakusp BC
    [​IMG]

I had a choice to make here. Stay on the East side of the lake and ride North to the Kootenay Bay Ferry which is a beautiful ride or head West which is what I did.
    I chose this as the Winter schedule was in place for the ferry and would have meant trading riding time for waiting time. Turned out to be a great choice on the day.

If the weather behaves October is a great time to ride this area as there is little traffic.
    [​IMG]
    The Salmo/Creston or Kootenay pass is not terribly high at 1,775 m (5,823 ft) but is certainly high enough to get your attention as mother nature decides to lower the snow level.

I arrived in Nakusp quite early as this is not a terribly long day, nice, just not long.
    Beer and a steak at the lodge was welcome as I was bloody hungry. The evening before in Creston I did not choose wisely and the food was crap.
    You know you are old when a nice walk and a movie is excitement enough for the evening--- oh well.
    It was a nice early fall evening.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day would see us off to Penticton and another great day of riding.
    [​IMG]

The day started out a bit misty and foggy.

[​IMG]

But it cleared up quite nicely.

The Westside road out of Vernon on the West side of the Okanagan Lake bypasses a portion of Kelowna which can be a very good thing if the traffic in Kelowna is heavy. I noticed a couple of things on this road, one is that although it is a great ride it's quite risky as the sight lines are very short in many places and the other is a plethora of Cannabis shops - in fact I don't think I saw any other type of shop.
    [​IMG]
    On to Penticton for a good nights rest after fish and chips (and beer) at Salty's.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It would be difficult to find a very ugly route heading West out of Penticton toward Harrison Hot Springs with choices for pretty much any preference.
    I chose highway 3 with a couple of modifications.
    Out of Penticton I chose the Green Mountain Road which turned out to be rather nice in the early morning sun.
    [​IMG]
    All technology has its requirements and an external mic is no exception-- as in you have to turn the bloody thing on, I did not.

It was, however, a beautiful morning with little traffic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My next little diversion from HWY 3 was the Old Hedley Road accessed from the right side heading West, also well worth the diversion.

Just off the end of the Old Hedley road we find this. It marks the entrance to the Princeton airport and I thought for sure it was a T-33 . It is not.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It certainly is Princeton's largest wind vane as the post is set on bearings.
    It lights up it's cockpit and navigation lights at night as the pilot has been replaced with solar panels.
    I always have very mixed emotions about aircraft mounted for display - once alive and functional, now stuck on a post never to fly again. Perhaps this is because I spent so many years keeping aircraft flying. At least this one has a dedicated group of volunteers to keep it maintained and, after all, it will always have the wind on it's nose.
    And... it is a CT-133
    The Canadair CT-133 was the result of a 1951 contract to build T-33 Shooting Star trainers for the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). The powerplant is a Rolls-Royce Nene 10 turbojet instead of the Allison J33 used by Lockheed in the production of the original T-33. A project designation of CL-30 was given by Canadair and the name was changed to Silver Star. The appearance of the CT-133 is very distinctive due to the large fuel tanks usually carried on each wingtip.

From there I basically just joined HWY 3 through Manning park (which was spectacular) and ended the day at Harrison Hot Springs, really a good day.
    Harrison is a destination and as a result food is a bit silly in price; however, there was an answer.

The only pub in town [​IMG]

Vegetarian pizza and a beer, problem solved.
    [​IMG]
    To be fair, the place is quite beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That ended day 4.
    Day 5 would be the run to the ferry at Tsawwassen, was not before and never will be a favorite day, just a means to an end although riding onto a boat always feels good.
    [​IMG]
    The ride mostly looked like this.
    [​IMG]
    I did not have to wait for the ferry as it was boarding as I arrived which was a nice treat. Also the weather cleared up during the crossing leading to quite a nice day in Victoria on arrival.
    The weather basically started to crap the next day--- lucky for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Truthfully, I just needed to get out and feel SOMETHING other than the sadness we feel for those suffering at this time.
    I am not happy that Frigg will have to live outdoors until Spring but I will have to suck it up. After all, the winter on Vancouver Island is not all that harsh.
    Shelley and I wish you all safety and health, see you on the road -- soon we hope!
    Mike
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great memories revisited. Thanks. I’ve tempted the Rockies late in the season and they’ve made me pay. Is the big peach there on the Okanagan south shore near the paddle wheeler?
    AMEretired likes this.
  3. AMEretired

AMEretired Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are certainly correct about the mountains late in the season. I was lucky as the weather was shutting down behind me. Better to be lucky than smart sometimes.
    I think the Peach is still there although at the other end of the beach, I sort of stopped at Fish/Chips/beer.
    B10Dave and RedDogAlberta like this.