Californai to Texas...and them back. What to ride?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by GillaFunk, Dec 28, 2007.

1. GillaFunk

GillaFunk I use profanities

Oddometer:
    Departing mid March from San Fransisco to Dallas via Rte 66. Im pretty much set on the route TO Texas....but...any tips are good. Coming back....as I depart from Austin....Id like to hit up Big Bend. Other than that.....no idea. I have 11, maybe 13 days avail.

Anyone have any route tips?
  2. ktmsweeper

ktmsweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you leave from Austin then divert south and run 337 from Bandera / Vanderpool to Leakey then over to Rocksprings and over to Marathon and BBend. This will put you pretty far south to catch 66.

Route 66 is a snooze unless you are in to nostalgia.
  3. ktmsweeper

ktmsweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are going to be out that way. Central Texas at night guarantees a brush with DEER.

From Austin cut out through Dripping Springs to Johnson City the down towards Fredricksburg. Make sure you check out Luckenbach then take the Center point Road down to Kerrville to Bandera then go west to Vanderpool and Leakey Neat area. Watch for animals. Lots of exotic game ranchs. Hit a turkey at 60 last spring. Birds are solid!! Big Bend is cool in the spring. Gorgous if you like the desert.

If you want I can suggest a route:evil with specifics.

Check out the "Roads of Texas" maps by Mappsco.
  4. FrankS

FrankS ...please wait...

Oddometer:
    leave Austin on 1431 to Marble Falls, then South on 281 and West on Old Sandy Road into Fredericksburg, then down to Kerrville and have some fun on 335/336/337, then further West to Big Bend. From BB, I'd go North via Fort Davis (if you can, stay in that area overnight on a clear day, you'll see many million stars), then via Van Horn and Carlsbad Caverns into New Mexico. Turn West in Artesia onto US 82 to Alamorgodo, then further on to White Sands. Further on, head North on I-25 for a few miles, then West on 152 (check it out on goolgle maps, sooo twisty...)...you can then stay either South, go towards Phoenix and on to California or head North, Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon but this might be the way you came in on Rt 66

Regards

Frank
  5. GillaFunk

Oddometer:
    Wow...you guys ROCK! :clap Thanks! That looks like a dammed fine route. :bow LOL.

So..BMW Ralley suit or Darien suit for this ride in March? What do you think?
  6. FrankS

FrankS ...please wait...

Oddometer:
    I rode from Phoenix to Austin in early November, it was cold (30F) in the morning in West Texas and the higher elevations in NM and AZ but it warmed up quickly.It was hot in the Arizona desert. Weather / temp in March should be very similar.
    I was fine with a layer of Under Armour and a fleece shirt plus my ICON leather jacket with a liner (no heated gear), I would have been better with my Rallye 2 Pro, though, good enough in the cold and much better in the hot. Just for reference, I rode my 07 GSA with very decent wind protection.

regards

Frank
  7. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    :clap Go to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico; see the cave; see the bats if you have time and it is not too cold.
    http://www.nps.gov/archive/cave/home.htm
    -ceej

8. j911brick

j911brick Squidinator

Oddometer:
    Actually: take 470 out of Bandera to Utopia (Popular stop for a meal if you like those local small town dives - its good), then north on 187 to Vanderpool, then west on 337 to Leaky. There is a small motorcycle museum 4 miles north of Vanderpool. If you come in from Kerville take 16 south to (almost) Bandera and go west on 470. If you come up from San Antonio you can take 16 north to PR37 west which goes out to Medina Lake. Then you can go north back to 16 and Bandera.

Keep in mind that Texas is mostly all private property and its inlawful to operate a motor vehicle within 50ft from the banks of any navigable waterway (river, stream), reguarless of whether there is any water.

Rt 66 is a snooze except for those parts in CA where the road has been closed.
  9. GillaFunk

Oddometer:
    Cool Cool. Thanks! Sounds like I have some good options. I have been accross the northern portion of the country, all the way to east to Ny, but for some reason I have more gear worries than anything.

:thumb
  10. MojaveGS

MojaveGS Loving it!

Oddometer:
    Digging in with McClaw's Div waiting for Jackson
    Before you take off on the great routes that have been suggested go north from Austin to Waco and get yourself some "white wings" at Las Casas. You will not regret it. MMM bacon.