California drops MSF curriculum

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by vaara, Nov 20, 2014.

1. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, this is interesting.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467118

Cliff Notes version: The contract to administer the CA motorcycle safety training program expires at the end of this year, and the low bidder for the new one was not the MSF. Which means that the new contractor - Lee Parks' "Total Control" franchise - will be creating and administering the delivery of a brand-new curriculum as of January 2015 (or whenever they can get enough coaches trained, ranges repainted, insurance arranged, etc., etc., etc.).

Yes, I know the link goes to a forum with unsubstantiated links, but it'll all be substantiated soon enough...

It's especially delightful news for me, since I just went through RiderCoach Prep a few months ago and now it looks like I'll have to spend another couple of weekends doing it all over again. :kboom
  2. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had it confirmed through other channels that Lee Parks has the contract starting January 1.

This is going to be ugly.

PS- updates could be done in a day- you know how to manage a range and coach, you'll just have to get familiar with the new exercises.
  3. rcdude

rcdude n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on getting my motorcycle permit, so if I took a msf course in December, would it still count?

Edit: it is probably better to ask if I should take the msf course, or wait and take the new course.
  4. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, as long as you take (and pass) the MSF BRC before 12/31, you should be fine. This assumes you're in CA, which is the only state affected by this particular situation. Your DL-389 form is valid for a year after it's issued, so no rush to get to the DMV before 12/31.

Note that your *permit* is the paper document you get from the DMV that shows you passed the written test. The MSF BRC, if you pass, will enable you to get your motorcycle *endorsement* (M1) without taking the DMV riding test.
  5. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm keeping an open mind about the new curriculum -- maybe it'll be an improvement! -- but it does seem likely that there will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth among RCs and training sites.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
  6. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't answer that, since I have no idea what the new course looks like. The cost should be the same (since it's mandated by the CA Motorcycle Safety Program) but so far there's no info about its contents, or -- most crucially -- when it'll actually be available to those who want to use it to waive the DMV riding test. Maybe they can pull off a miracle and have every site in CA ready to go on 1/1, but that seems like a long shot.
  7. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    yes take it now!!
    i imagine the price will go up also.

as for the retraining....we did it in 2002(IIRC) when MSF took over, so the re-do is no big deal. I'm kinda excited to see what the new curriculum will look like. The MSF BRC was changing and maybe the expense of all the new stuff was more than CA and the CHP wanted to deal with.
  8. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bwa-hahahahahaha.

I've been teaching in Oregon since 2002, when it was MSF's MRC:RSS. When the BRC rolled out and Oregon went it's own way, it took months just to write the first draft. We then spent a couple months field testing various things to find what worked best. The range cards were printed on paper, and sometimes changed every week.

THEN the result was compared it to the BRC to see which was better.

Lee might have some ideas, and really good ones, but unless he's already tried them out (and there are some inmates who might know if he has)- there just isn't enough time.

FWIW, every major curriculum change I've seen (MRC:RSS -> BRC or BRT, BRC -> BRC2014), 10-30% of instructors will decide it's not worth the hassle to learn the new stuff. This is not strictly a bad thing, it clears out the ones stuck in a rut.
  9. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I'm hardly one of those -- having only gotten certified in July.

I wonder what'll happen to the RC I know whose reaction to students who can't get their bikes started is to scream at them, "FINE-C! FINE-C!" He'll need to learn a new acronym, at least. :D
  10. rcdude

rcdude n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks for your help. Yes I am in CA, and since I'm under 21, I have to have ny permit for six months before I can get my actual license.
  11. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got a peek at an email Lee Parks sent out. He seems to have curricula in place to fill all the right slots. Good luck, Mr. Parks.

First- yikes.

Second- Yes, he will. It was certainly one of the ones we changed.

Besides- Fuel? Really? How 1980s. There isn't a bike in my garage that has a fuel valve...
  12. Mikehusa

Mikehusa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've taken "total control" classes and they kicked ass. Long time rider and I took away a lot. Don't think the curriculum will be the same but it has potential. Also went through the MSF course in San Diego in the 80's and it was very beneficial.
  13. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    well if they "won" the bid / contract i would think it was the low(er) cost offer to Cali. so, should not the price go down

MR. PARKS I AM TALKING TO YOU!! :ear
  14. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But all of our training bikes do...

Re: the new curriculum (now renamed "Beginner Riding Clinic"), a quick Web search finds no mention of it whatsoever, which leads me to believe that the whole thing is being created from scratch. Parks' existing classes are for experienced riders only, and are apparently aimed mostly at those who want to ride on the track.
  15. mad8vskillz

mad8vskillz worst adventurer ever

Oddometer:
    having taken the Lee Parks ARC class, it's definitely well designed and teaches more than the MSF ARC class. Lee's instructors are quite good (the MSF's are very hit and miss). So i don't think this is a bad thing...
    no experience in the people's republic of nazifornia though.
  16. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not all of ours. The Suzuki TU-250X is fuel injected- no fuel valve, no choke.

Even the last bikes I had that did have a fuel valve- Seca II and KLR- were vacuum operated; the Seca II didn't have an 'off', the KLR's was completely optional.

Well, not strictly, but certainly higher bike operating skills than the MSF has gotten into, and mostly stuff that is above a beginner's class. But Lee was originally an MSF-certified Instructor, so he has a clue.

Keep in mind- it's still CMSP; there were never MSF employees at the ranges delivering classes-. It's going to be the same (+/- a few) boots on the ground, delivering content designed to leave riders with roughly the same level of skill. The exercises will change, but the overall goal and the public faces won't.
  17. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    1) It's unclear if the contract was awarded on price, or required contract terms that other bidders wouldn't meet;

2) "Lowest bidder" does not mean "cheaper than the last round", it just means "cheaper than everyone else this round".
  18. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    It means nothing.

The course you took was an advance course, the BRC is a beginner course and will remain. The instructors from one course won't switch to the other. Lee will simply hire the former MSF RCs.
  19. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    From OP's first post:

Don't know if it has been verified though.
  20. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's a bit of scuttlebutt that may or may not actually be accurate, but I think it's reasonably safe to assume that the CHP wouldn't select a higher bid just because it came from the MSF. Unless they have highly unusual procurement rules.

Given that they have motorcycle-hating fanatics like Kenneth Mandler breathing down their neck, I'm sure the CHP took great pains to do everything by the book.