California "Five Passes" Ride??

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by kwthom, May 23, 2019.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    how was it? hope everything went well.

can't wait to see pics.
    sopascat and BiggieFalls like this.
  2. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    This thread was predominately to see if there was an established ride already. It seems to be there may have been one long ago, didn't last that long, and nothing in recent times.

It also appears that many that ride regionally have their favorite pass(es) to ride and definitely have the details on the best times/best directions and so forth.

As far as staging? :dunno I'm in Southern AZ; a day and a half of riding would get me to Lee Vining - no problem. :ricky

EDIT:

Just screwing around with Google Maps...

https://goo.gl/maps/ynGmARpgcXrqQhu38

Donner, Echo, Luther, Carson, Ebbetts, Sonora, Tioga passes.

Nearly 900 miles to get there, two days of riding 675 miles, almost 750 miles home. Pretty sure I have the favored directions in place on the map. I'd definitely do this ride in turista mode. The last time I was in the region, I'd bypassed all of that, spent the night in Reno and had my first US-50 in Nevada experience the following day.
    MattLikeyBikey and rjnutt like this.
  3. jcbrandon

jcbrandon Just a guy

Oddometer:
    Here's a piece I wrote recently about the five best-known, most commonly ridden Sierra passes:

https://sierramountainpasses.com/central-sierra/best-five-sierra-passes-for-motorcycling/

I live in the area, ride the Sierra year-round, and was involved in the Tahoe Adventure Moto event referenced earlier on in this thread. I've often helped friends from out of the area figure out which passes to ride, and when. So I finally got around to creating a website to help answer those sorts of questions:

https://sierramountainpasses.com/

We just launched the project less than a month ago. Let me know if you find it helpful.
  4. kwthom

Oddometer:
    So, what happened to that event? To me, it seems like it was a one-and-done activity? I'd be interested to read the back-story on that.

Wasn't it based on some sort of earlier 'organized' rally - back in the '00's?

Good...but I got a lot of the same intel from others that are also in the region (why I put the thread is this little corner of the forum... :thumb ) as well as the research I'd outlined in the first post of this thread.
  5. jcbrandon

jcbrandon Just a guy

Oddometer:
    It was a fun event. Got to meet and ride with some cool folks. It was also a ton of work and after three years --2012-2014-- it was clear that it was also not financially sustainable.
    If there was an earlier, similar event, I'm not familiar with it.
    kwthom likes this.
  6. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Ride was very nice. Beautiful scenery the whole way. Lots of rushing rivers and waterfalls right now, Plenty of cool little towns and lakes along the way too. It’s amazing how different the East sides of these passes are from the West sides. IMO worth the trip from wherever, if you’re considering it. The only part that wasn’t awesome was the 40 minute wait in the midday sun at the Yosemite toll gate. I would imagine it’s like that most summer days. Unfortunately, the picture thing didn’t really work out this trip.
    NSFW and rjnutt like this.
  7. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding my bucket list pass ride I entered Yosemite at 5am. Of course there wasn’t a wait.
    The only time I ride 120 is from 395 east to Benton Hot Springs
  8. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Is that gate manned 24 hours?
  9. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a map of your route? What is the best order and direction of the passes? How many days to do it and enjoy ?
  10. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope
    kwthom likes this.
  11. kwthom

Oddometer:
    MattLikeyBikey likes this.
  12. kwthom

Oddometer:
    So...my contact didn't have a recollection of formal or organized rides over Five Passes in the Sierras. Thus it's been individual riders that have taken informal rides for many years, involving varying numbers & locations of passes, along with the organized event that @jcbrandon and I mentioned earlier.

The Google Map link I shared was a 15 minute cut-and-paste of how a rider could stitch several of the passes together, based on a bit of the commentary here in this thread on 'preferred' direction of travel. I really need to plot it in BaseCamp as well.
  13. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Here's the GPX. The Donner section was routed such that you stayed on as much of the old route as practical. In considering this route, this would definitely be one of those flower-sniffing rides, in order to check out the region more. This is eight passes (Donner, Echo, Luther, Carson, Ebbetts, Monitor, Sonora, Tioga) - 575 riding miles, and a little over 14 hours. Two and a half days?

Attached Files:

soarseeker likes this.
  14. rollinalong

rollinalong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is posted on the wall of Nicelys restaurant in Lee Vining. IMG_9248.jpg
    kwthom and OCADVR like this.
  15. kwthom

Oddometer:
    That's a nice, simple map.

:lol3

Simple is good! :nod

I've saved that one; thanks @rollinalong !!
  16. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. I had breakfast there a couple of weeks ago and did not see it.

Great stop for those needing a meal.
  17. Wasapinepig

Wasapinepig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did Yosemite with a buddy on Wednesday, nobody at the entrance of 120 at noon ( west side ), nobody at the 140 entrance about 1pm and nobody at Tioga at about 8pm.

Weekends there is almost always somebody there in daylight hours.
    kwthom likes this.
  18. kwthom

Oddometer:
  19. kwthom

Oddometer:
    So, I posted this intial query in a couple of places. One reply I got was:
    I replied:
    Another rider was a bit more succinct with his reply:
    I don't think there will be time for me to do this ride this season. The mountains and the roads will still be there, but now I'm a bit smarter about the history, and looking forward to my shot at it.
  20. jcbrandon

jcbrandon Just a guy

Oddometer:
    I like your response. The question sounded a bit like trolling, but you gave a thoughtful reply.

One of the things we are trying to do with SierraMountainPasses.com is answer that sort of question. We've got short articles about all 22 of the major Sierra passes, with lots of photos from each. We try to show how every pass has its own sort of personality. And give readers the information they need to figure out which roads they want to ride.