California gas nozzle foreskins - GSA fuel questions

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by nuke, Dec 24, 2010.

1. nuke

nuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got some riding in and managed to exhaust the full tank of gas the dealer delivered my 2010 GS Adv with. Weather and other commitments had me off the bike for several weeks. But I made to 288 miles when the /!\ light and fuel warning came on.

Since I'm in California, the gas nozzles are equipped with those damn pollution foreskins (vapor recovery hoods). On my other bike, I have to hold the vapor foreskin thing back while fueling.

On the GSA, The gas lid interferes with the nozzle and had to hold it all at an odd angle.

Is there some trick to fueling with these stupid nozzles that I need to know so as not to break anything?

Also, do you GSA owners typically fill-'er up? One of the locals suggested just filling it about half as all that gas is top-heavy weight.
  2. J-Rod

J-Rod Urbanite

Oddometer:
    http://www.aerostich.com/e-z-fill-nozzle-key.html

Or you could just as easily make your own. I just moved to Oregon from Arkansas so I will be using one of these very soon. When I had my GSA I would always fill it full. Yeah, it's heavy, but it's worth not having to fill up so often.
  3. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foreskins?

I never thought of that - from now on, that terminology will come back and haunt me each time I fill up. :roflHow accurate!

Here in NJ the filling nozzles also are equipped with the Vapor Recovery.

I dealt with it by rotating the gas cover 180 degrees, so it opens away from me. It's convenient for all nozzle types, not only with "foreskins", because it lets you see the gas level as you are filling up.

Search the forum here for "gas cap modification". It was super easy in my '06 - I believe it was slightly more involved on later models.

For starters, here is a pictorial on the early-model: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309496 ,
    and here is a thread on a later bike: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538004 .

Good luck.
  4. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    drilling the gas level limit ring just inside the fuel neck makes it easier to fill the bike.....no rude squirting of fuel back in your face.....just don't fill the tank over the bottom of the limit ring and then leave it sit in the sun....Bruce
  5. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a plastic version of the nozzle key, and it works great. My Sis gave it to me as a gift. You simply hold back the foreskin, and the key slides over the nozzle to hold it in place while you pump. There's some sort of standard groove or lip on the nozzle, I can't recall which, that holds the key in position.
  6. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    +1 on the gas cap mod...turn that thing around and life gets easier.
    Also, I never put more than 5 gals in the tank unless I'm on a road trip.
    FP
  7. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I've used the aerostich product with happiness although I agree it could (and maybe should) be fabricated.

The idea of rotating the filler cap 180 is brilliant.

nice idea rdwalker
  8. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is illegal to fuel any vehicle in the Golden State where the nozzle boot is not fully sealing against the filler neck. I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for violating this law -however- motorists should be aware that if smokey is looking for probable cause then you may want to choose another time/place to fuel.

If you like to fill your tank to the top then remove the charcoal canister. If leaving the charcoal can intact then never fill the tank past the "full" indicator tab in the filler neck.

If removing the can. then save the parts so the evap system can easily be restored.

Finally, it is will be increasingly desirable to use one of those kits to sample fuel for adulteration before fueling.
  9. redredred

redredred Experienced n00b

Oddometer:
    well, not exactly. Phase II vapor recovery systems (the boot on the nozzle) are required at retail locations. if you really, really want to pump gas without the boot, make friends with the owner of a Phase II-exempt gas pump. those would be non-retail locations like rental car companies, machinery rental locations or boat launches (marine pumps). you might get your new friend in a heap of trouble though: if the local air pollution control officer detects some shenanigans going on, he might get a ticket.
  10. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Reason number 432 not to live in CA. :evil
    Pabst and RunninRanger like this.
  11. redredred

Oddometer:
    california is not the only state that has boots on the gas nozzle. some parts of missouri do too as i remember. we really don't have a choice: most air districts in CA can't meet the various national ambient air quality standards (NAAQS) but are bound by federal law to do so. geography is a big culprit too: for example, the los angeles basin sits in a bowl surrounded by mountains that traps air pollution locally. so it is either smash the san gabriel mountains to bits or have gas nozzles with foreskin :-)
  12. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just gassed up at an arco in brea that did not have the boot, just bare nozzle. is the enforcement pretty lax?
  13. redredred

Oddometer:
    did it look like this?
    [​IMG]

or this:
    [​IMG]

the former is your standard bare nozzle in other states, the later is a new bootless enhanced vapor recovery (EVR) husky nozzle with vacuum-assist.

brea is in the South Coast AQMD--"lax" is not a word in their vocabulary.

edit: was it a diesel pump or gas pump? diesel nozzles don't have boots, even in california.
  14. mkletecka

mkletecka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my 09 GS, I’ve tried doing the 180 gas cap turnaround, but it won’t work (why BMW designed it to open front to back is beyond me?).

Here in PC correct CA. re-fueling my GS is “always” a pain. To make fueling easiest, I keep my GS on its side stand (leaned towards the pump) then turn the bars all the way right to its locked position, then hunch over the tank, while holding back the foreskin of the nozzle with my left hand, and with my right gently controlling the delivery of gas to prevent it from squirting back, while also staring in the small opening to properly top it off, for what seems like 30 minutes.

I love my GS, but “hate” (I’m sorry, here in CA. the word “hate” is considered PC incorrect), "strongly dislike" gassing up my GS.

Mike K.
    Dana Point, CA.
  15. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I can remember using them in Missouri in my younger days. I think they've gotten away from them, since customers hate them.
  16. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have absolutely no problem with it. There is the rare occasion when I'm traveling that the nozzle hood is a bit big and I have to wiggle it slightly, but really, that isn't a problem at all.

Oh, and so far, all my riding in the US was in California ...

"At home" I have my preferred gas station, one of the newer Chevron stations that have the smaller nozzle hoods which fit a bit easier. On the road I haven't had any problems either ...

And I also prefer the Chevron for the Techron additive, which actually seems to work. Using this, we have no trouble when the DR200SE sits for a few weeks. Going to one of the "small brand" stations clogged up the Carburator within 6 weeks. We'll not do this again when we have the bike sitting for longer periods.
  17. ARROWMAPCORP

ARROWMAPCORP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. dfhepner

dfhepner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Filling up in California has gotten easier this past year. Before I had to use a small plastic clamp to hold the "foreskin":rofl back and then be very careful to aim the flow so as not to get any splash back from the powerful blast of fuel. I don't know why California stations all had a full blast from the nasal at start up. There was no way of just easing it on to get a slow stream out.
    Sometime this year the nasals have all changed and you can easily get a slow stream at start up and you don't have to hold up the "foreskin" to keep the pump running.

How every if you drive a cage with a large tank that uses gas then you have to stand there holding the pump instead of locking on and walking away. That lock caused me a problem one time when I went to fill up the tank on my /6. I swiped my card picked up the nasal and pushed the button and swung around to put the nasal in my tank. The pump kicked on and full stream of gas spayed all around the station, missing my bike, before I shut it down. Some one had left the lock engaged.
  19. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My preference is the large foreskin nozzle that is almost gone around here. At least it was easy to peel back and didn't interfere with aim...

Nowdays they've replaced most with semi-circumsized versions. Much worse imo. Very little travel and harder to keep pulled back while fueling. In fact I've found that the protruding nozzle length can hit the backbone bridge in the GS tank and not allow the nozzle to go in far enough to engage the bypass mechanism. They're even a problem to keep engaged on my cars. Chevron seems to have these consistently...

I would think the biggest problem with the foreskin tool thingie is that it'd be easy to leave behind. Maybe the aerostich version is big enough you can't tuck the pump back in place... then I'd suspect it'd get in the way when fueling.
  20. KShow

KShow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I lived in Kalifornia, I was usually able to pull back the "foreskin" and hold it to fill any of my bikes. Now that Ive moved back to VA, I spend alot of travel time in the company truck, and am getting extremly annoyed at the stations that remove the "latch" from the gas pumps. I guess they are trying to prevent fuel spills, but when Im stuck at a slow pump trying to fill a 30 gallon tank my temper starts to act up a bit. Yes, I wedge my gas cap into the handle to hold it, but still it sucks. I mean, come on, BP can spew millions of gallons into the gulf (when have you heard of any punishment for them lately) and I cant be trusted to pump 30 gallons of gas???