California gas nozzle foreskins - GSA fuel questions

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by nuke, Dec 24, 2010.

1. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess what, same problem in eastern PA and south-eastern NY: the latches are removed. (They are still in place at locations much further away from NYC).

I use the same method as you do - wedging the gas cap.
    But: recently I have seen signs in NY State, claiming that forcing the handle ON by wedging any item under the trigger is ILLEGAL. WTF?

I still do it and am prepared to start an argument if challenged: I get cramps in my hands when holding the fu@&*%g handle - how is my ability to exert pressure on the trigger required under the ADA laws?

Another hurray for NJ. Here we have no self-service (and, of course, every motorcyclist gets to pump his own) and thus the latches are not removed. And it's cheaper! (Could not resit rubbing it in... just visited my brother in PA and had to pump my truck at $3.60 for regular. Ouch.)
  2. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Free country. Or so I heard ... long ago.
  3. mikerd400

mikerd400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a cop and I'm not aware of anything in the vehicle code about fueling up. Yes, there are some laws regarding fuel, but that is enforced by the fire marshall.
  4. redredred

redredred Experienced n00b

Oddometer:
    here is the reason why some gas nozzles had their latches removed:
    http://www.sbcfire.org/hazmat/pdf/20100830_fire_vstNozzles.pdf

to summarize, the new VST-brand EVR (enhanced vapor recovery) nozzles had a design flaw. if the last person who pumped before you had engaged the lock, sometimes the lock would stick. they would place the nozzle back on the pump and then when the next person picked up the nozzle, it would immediately begin spraying gasoline. not a good situation.

the husky-brand EVR nozzles are the dominate nozzle. they are better too with the vacuum-assist vapor recovery. the VST were #2 with probably a quarter of the market in my air district and only used balance (not vacuum) to recover vapor. to comply with the fire marshal, all VST EVR nozzles had to have their latches removed and VST had to design a new latch. it is an expensive retrofit (i think about $100 per nozzle) for the station owners, plus they had to hear a lot of griping from their customers.
  5. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    I had a gas nozzle stick at a station in Houston once. Spilled gas all over the tank, the engine and the ground before I got it shut off. The idiot behind the cash register just stared blankly when I informed him of the malfunctioning gas nozzle. :bluduh
  6. redredred

redredred Experienced n00b

Oddometer:
    as least you didn't get it in your eye. i was in ozona, tx (BFE west texas off the 10) trying to be a good samaritan by filling up another inmate's MSR fuel bottle. the nozzle shot gasoline into the bottle and straight up with me looking straight down at it. i dropped the nozzle and had a mouthful of gasoline along with both eyes soaked. a good 10 min water flush of my eyes had my eyesight back but they hurt like hell for the rest of the day.
  7. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arrowmap, a no brainer mod of course, but did you apply for a CARB waiver first? There is rat fink bounty paid out to informants who call the 800 line.

Perhaps phrasing like this is safer:
    "Al Gore did that mod; it does in fact work as advertised."

BTW: Rumor sources from AK report Jessie Ventura learned about Al Gore having done this mod while the gov was researching and exposing the Cap'n Trade conspiracy. The governor outed the Big Bender/Green biker then reported on the State Violations Tips Hotline to collect his informants "bounty".
  8. ARROWMAPCORP

ARROWMAPCORP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank You for the update Vintagerider, I was going to file for my CARB, but I didn't, I just moved to Nebraska,lol Try licence a pick up in CA for $25, only in NE. SAD, my 71 Suzuki TS250 is $75 and my 70 Boss302 is $70. Something wrong with the system.

9. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
    Is it possible for patriotic americans to use a razor to slice the length of the foreskin? :evil
  10. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:
    maybe it was the newer version. I just recall not having to fight the huge boot.
  11. deej

deej Deej (Deric)

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the specs on the EZ fill key? I have a butt load of street signs just waiting to be cut up. LOL
  12. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a sticky on my kitchen counter to remind me to take a caliper for my next fill up but if someone already has it and could pass on those specs I'm in too please.

I have a scrap piece of flat aluminum just waiting to be cut :D
  13. deej

deej Deej (Deric)

Oddometer:

That's funny, on my way home for lunch I'm gonna stop by the station with my digital mic and get a measurement. I'll let you know what I find. :)
  14. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like that center channel only tapers in about 1/8" at best.
  15. SteelRain

SteelRain Beer Cooled

Oddometer:
    Open your fuel cap, press the "foreskin" against that and fill up, never had an issue, it hust seemed like common sense to me.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  16. Limoncello

Limoncello n00b

Oddometer:
    Did anyone come up with measurements? I've been encountering several of these pumps lately.
  17. island808

island808 We are 100% SNAFU

Oddometer:
    I thought they all went to using these when they came out with the "gas fumes are carcinogenic" and made gas stations start not venting to the air and burying their tanks.
    Anyone else remember the days you could smell your way to a gas station? Then I moved to the backwards states and they still had the walk off nozzles and everything. It was like going back in time moving out of the north east.
  18. TruSound

TruSound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started a new thread asking this question, figured I'd ask here as well.

If available would you buy an aftermarket GS gas cap ?
  19. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I am hoping that someone having one of the clips that retains the foreskin would be kind enough to post the dimensions of the notch or perhaps to scan the clip so that I can fabricate one. My wife is riding to California and I just know that she is going to have difficulty filling up.

Thanks
    Mike
  20. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a plastic or rubber "fill assist" cup that's marketed as McCuff, or similar, that may apply to what you're asking.

I've also seen spoon like clips that fit around the actual metal nozzle to compress or hold back the vapor catching hood - which surely has its own, technical name.

Me, I just use two hands if nec., though most of the vapor hoods are flexible enough to compress one-handedly.