California laws regarding headlights and auxiliary lights

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by upsscott, Aug 25, 2019.

1. upsscott

upsscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off, my headlight is stock. Second, I had a girl that was too busy texting, turn in front of me and I couldn’t avoid hitting her. I escaped injury but my BMW wasn’t so lucky. I had Denali lights at that time and her first response was that she didn’t see me. I’m not in this to “Look adventurous.”
    regnaDkciN likes this.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never heard of that before. Most states, I have to say that now, have reasonable laws that say yellow lights are marker lights, so you can have all you want. Not sure how CA manages diesel trucks and similar.
  3. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Still not tracking. The constitution doesn't cover that either.
  4. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Completely ignorant thing to teach, IMHO, and also illegal in "most" states.
    18415 and comradecasey like this.
  5. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never been bothered by the CHP and have had driving lights on all my street bikes for many years. Hopefully I don't run into officer Dickhead on Hwy. 70 which I will be on this weekend.
  6. Chazbo

Chazbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know that I got bogus info and probably not taught. Thanks. I am plenty conspicuous on low beams with my yellow Darla's aimed low.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    You will see people chime in that they do it "to be safer", but I personally hate it. If conspicuity lights are not enough, then nothing will be. Just ask any Fire truck driver how often they get cut off.
  8. Chazbo

Chazbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, I see many bikers riding with their brights plus running lights. Mostly Harleys, but not all. Do you think that is why cars they are following pull over and the driver gets out and puts his hands on his roof? ;)
  9. upsscott

Oddometer:
    I’ve never seen a big rig with anything but white lights. I have seen cars with yellow headlights however.
  10. upsscott

Oddometer:
    Maybe illegal seizure and search. This officer did none of that. I don’t have a problem with being stopped. It happens. What I have a problem with is when I tried to get clarification he got angry and started barking at me and at one point he told me to not be a smart ass. I never tried to be a smart ass. I just was confused about the issue seeing that I just spent a grand on auxiliary lighting two weeks before. I tried being a smart ass to a police officer once when I was in college. It didn’t end well and imo I got what I deserved.
    Pabst likes this.
  11. upsscott

Oddometer:
    He’s a little bald headed nerdy looking guy with zero sense of humor. Not hard to miss.
  12. upsscott

Oddometer:
    I had a city cop where I live, a motorcycle cop, tell me the same thing. Run them bright.
  13. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I disagree, Jim.

On my GSA I run with my high beams, OEM auxiliary lights and Clearwater Darlas with amber lenses illuminated during the day. I have been doing something similar to this on all of my bikes, as well as Spousal Unit’s bikes, for nearly ten years. I have encountered hundreds of LEOs in dozens of states and never been flashed or stopped. Even when I have had a long roadside meeting with a sheriff or trooper to discuss their admiration of my riding skills, the lights have never come up. I do get the occasional flash from a civilian that doesn’t like them, but I know from encountering our own bikes and others similarly equipped that they do not blind oncoming drivers. I assume there is the occasional discussion in other vehicles where one person mutters, “Look at that a$$hole.” ......Okay then, he’s aware of me, but I am utterly confident that I am not hindering anyone’s ability to safely operate their vehicle, and law enforcement seems to agree.

At the inquest looking into my murder by an inattentive or drunk driver, the entire room will erupt in laughter when the culprit says, “I didn’t see him.”
    Andrew, JaggGS and upsscott like this.
  14. upsscott

Oddometer:
    This is my thinking exactly.
  15. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    Blinding an on-coming driver with bright lights (day or night) is not a good idea in my estimation, who knows how they (the blinded on-coming driver) is going to react to the situation. If they can't see where they are in the roadway as you pass them it would seem this cannot be safe(r).

But, what do I know...
    comradecasey, Pabst and JimVonBaden like this.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    What search and seizure? :dunno
  18. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bored cop.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  19. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    What I know is that I am not “blinding” anyone.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Like lots of other people here running high beams, or illegal lights, not getting pulled over doesn't make them legal, or recommended.