California laws regarding headlights and auxiliary lights

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by upsscott, Aug 25, 2019.

1. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    Cops wife said no, his boss said yes and then you crossed his path... victim of circumstance, maybe?
    upsscott likes this.
  2. upsscott

upsscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to think something like that went down. This little guy was way to angry.
    LowOnFuel likes this.
  3. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Short Man Syndrome
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :dirtdog
  5. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    short.gif
    MrVvrroomm, upsscott and JimVonBaden like this.
  6. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a Ford Excursion almost hit me while he was changing lanes yesterday. I was in my car on the toll road outside of Austin TX with both of us doing 80.
    I don't think it matters how many lights you have there are always people who are not paying attention. My car like most these days has day-time running lights on and is light colored and is the size of a car.
    If he had hit me in the car I would have been fine as I saw him coming over and would have counter steered but on a bike I doubt I would be typing right now.

I hate to say this over used military saying but "keep your head on a swivel" is the only way to stay alive any more on the road. I try to enjoy the challenge of driving around people that are trying to kill me. Keeps me on my game and makes the ride that much more interesting.

DRONE and upsscott like this.
  7. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safely back after riding through Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah and Colorado with nary a single cop showing any interest in my lights............as expected. I rode pre-dawn to well past sunset several times and even with all the lights on no one cared, except a couple of truckers who flashed me despite having about 20 lights on themselves.
    TurkeyRun, mikegc and Dogslobber like this.
  8. regnaDkciN

regnaDkciN crown bearing @ 60k, clutch @ 69k,HyperPros @ 70k Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking for myself: Daytime headlights are mandatory nationwide day or night. High beams during the day are not evil. Conspicuity is very, very important in my daily commute.
    upsscott likes this.
  9. regnaDkciN

Oddometer:
    Some lights are brighter than others. I've read many posts here where people comment on the brightness and appropriateness of lighting they have not yet seen.
  10. upsscott

Oddometer:
    I think the moral of this thread is that it doesn’t hurt to run bright daytime lights but don’t rely on them. Keep your eyes moving.
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I disagree. High beams during the day are not only illegal in most states, but are dangerous IMHO.
  12. regnaDkciN

Oddometer:
    • Using the high beam of a motorcycle’s headlight during the day also helps to prevent violations of the motorcyclist’s right-of-way (Hurt, 1981).
    from here:
    https://one.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-NHT-212-motorcycle/motorcycle49-50.html

Certainly, riding with high beams during the day should not garner ridicule. (I'm actively looking for one case where a motorcyclist was injured because of driving during the day with high beam on).
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    The Hurt report is not a law. Look up the laws.

Also, in 1981 when his report was done, MC headlights were pathetic compared to modern headlights.
    Fosters likes this.
  14. regnaDkciN

Oddometer:
    There are literally, dozens of articles supporting riding with high beam on. I have my high beam on in multilane traffic to increase my conspicuity while I'm in the HOV lane or passing lane. If I'm in slow, stop and go traffic (where my lights may bother someone in their center rearview mirror, i turn it off. I have found zero cases of a motorcyclist injured because he was driving with a high beam on (other than being punched in the nose).
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Still illegal. I have read dozens of reports on loud pipes saving lives. I don't believe them either.
  16. regnaDkciN

Oddometer:
    i don't buy into loud pipes. I don't like loud pipes waking up the whole campground (especially the baby). I guess it depends on how god-awful bright the lights are. In bright daylight i have yet to see something so bright as to cause an accident.
  17. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    Running high-beams and non DOT legal auxiliary lights all the time (day or night) on the road with on-coming traffic is not a good idea (or legal in most localities).
  18. upsscott

Oddometer:
    IMG_1467.JPG
    this is from the safety handbook handed out by the DMV here in California.
  19. 200GRLSWC

200GRLSWC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Literally: "Use the high-beam when it is legal ..."
    LowOnFuel likes this.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    "when legal". That is not a law. :deal Quote the law. BTW I also said MOST states, not all.