California Modoc and Lassen Discovery Trail, Call for riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Xfool, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The California Backcountry Discovery Trail (CBDT) is a network of off-road touring routes created by the California National Forests. These routes are intended to connect adjacent forest and post Discovery Points along the routes highlighting various features of each forest. The Modoc forest completed their route in 2000 and the Lassen forest in 2001. The CBDT route through the Modoc forest connects with the Oregon backcountry discovery trail at the California border.

I am planning to ride the Lassen and Modoc routes in June and am looking for fellow advriders who would like to explore the route:clap . I can’t find anything on advrider about the CBDT, probably searching for the wrong stuff, any info is appreciated. You can read more about the Modoc CBDT here and the Lassen CBDT here. Based on the described discovery points I have put together a tentative GPS route here and here. If anyone has ridden this area I would really appreciate some info, like gas station locations, places to eat, etc.

For those that don’t know the story of the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Trail at cycoactive (http://www.cycoactive.com/obdr/default.htm) the BLM established the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Trail back in 1999 and was in the process of posting markers on the trail when the Oregon Lewis and Clark Law School got wind of the situation and instructed the courts to order the BLM to spend the remainder of the BLM trail budget to remove the posted trail markers and not post any more signs until a proper environmental impact study had been completed for the location of each sign. Thanks to cycoactive the original route lives on through the miracle of gps.

The Modoc and Lassen forests CBDT routes are in place, signed and posted. Advrider needs a good trip report on the routes with a couple of photos, a gps track and a good description of the types of trails the route follows. I don’t expect the routes to be difficult. The forest service describe the routes as designed for stock SUV’s with the only caution of recommending high clearance vehicles – what ever that means. I expect the CBDT route to be easy graded dirt roads and the trip to be more of a backcountry touring route than a full on 4wd trail. But who knows?

THE PLAN:deal

Friday 6/23/2006: Book it out of LA 480 miles up I-5 to Chico than 66 miles up hwy 32 to stay in Chester. Here are some Yahoo motel options:
    ANTLERS MOTEL, 268 MAIN ST, CHESTER (530) 258-2722
    CEDAR LODGE MOTEL & MOBILE PK, 1487 COUNTY RD 324, CHESTER (530) 258-2904
    CHESTER MANOR MOTEL, 306 MAIN ST, CHESTER (530) 258-2441
    DEER CREEK LODGE, HIGHWAY 36, CHESTER (530) 258-2939 ​

LASSEN CBDT
    Saturday 6/24/2006: Leave Chester at oh-dawn-thirty. Seven miles on hwy 89 around Lake Almanor then 7 miles up Humbug road to the Lassen forest CBDT trail head at (n40 8.832 w121 14.578). The Lassen CBDT route is 187 miles long and ends just south of Alturas, gas is available at Battle Creek, 95 miles into the route, and at Burney on hwy 299, about 20 miles beyond the end of the route at mile 216. The 187 mile length of the CBDT route is a heart-break distance. I have done 200 mile days in the desert and it is a long day. Breaking the Lassen CBDT route into two 100 mile days is to short. So what is the right distance? On the one hand the route should be easy without the sand and hill climbs that can zap you in the desert, on the other hand an adventure bike can find ways to make any route more difficult than expected. There are 27 discovery points along the Lassen CBDT route and I feel a need to chase at least a few of those down for trip documentation reasons and that will take some time. So tentative plan: start early and shoot for a single day 187 mile trip. We will treat the ride as a pre-run. If we have to bail on the route we will report back to advrider that you need two days for the Lassen CBDT route.

From the end of the Lassen CBDT we will do 62 miles up hwy 89 to McCloud. Here are some Yahoo options:
    McCloud Timber Inn, 153 Squaw Valley Rd, McCloud, (530) 964-2893
    $48-93, 7 units
    Stoney Brook Inn, 309 W. Colombero, McCloud, (530) 964-2300
    $49- 110, 16 units​

MODOC CBDT
    Sunday 6/25/2006: From McCloud it is 17 highway miles on hwy 89 to Harris Spring rd (FR15) then 29 miles on the forest route (which may be dirt) to the Modoc CBDT trail head at (n41 34.266 w121 42.031). The Modoc Forest route is 191 miles long and ends at the Oregon boarder. After day one we should have a better feel for the pace that is needed to complete the 191 mile route. Gas is available at Tionesta, 46 miles into the route, 92 miles from McCloud and at Davis Creek, about another 100 mi into the trip. The route ends at the Oregon boarder and from there it is about 22 miles up hwy 395 to Lakeview. Here are some motel options:
    Interstate 8 motel, 354 N K St, Lakeview, OR (541)947-3341 for $34/night
    Lakeview Lodge, 301 N G St, Lakeview, OR (541) 947-2181.​

For those interested in really wasting some time I am continuing north from the CBDT route up into Idaho to check out the Lewis and Clark dirt route across Idaho. Some advrider info on the Lewis and Clark trail is here.

My bio
    50 year old intermediate play bike rider. Easily distracted by scenic vistas and colorful tweety-birds. The CBDT routes ought to fit me and my riding style well. If you are a haul-ass rider, by all means, download the gps track and we will checkup at waypoints. I will be riding a KTM 950 adventure.

THE INVITE
    So who is interested in taking on this ride? I want to get a group together on this thread and start discussing plans and exchanging info on the route. We have until June to get a plan together. Let me know. :lurk
  2. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, this sounds interesting. I will keep an eye on this thread and check out some of your research, too.
  3. wizz-o

wizz-o Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to go. I'm itching to do some dirt travelling and this sounds like a great time. Gotta check with the wife...
  4. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am interested in this trip. A little older but I have not learned much through experience so I guess I am 50 yrs equivalent. I have been in that area but do not have any specific knowledge of that route. I did see a commercial site that had various maps of trips in that area, but I did not bookmark, I will see if I can find it and if it is pertinent. I guess you are not planning to camp?
  5. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Camping depends on how the group turns out. If we think we can pound out these 200 mi days and the motel prices don't get out of hand then we can make that option work.

The appeal of camping is we can quit wherever we want but it is a lot more junk to carry.

After the CBDT route I’m on a mission to continue on back to Wisconsin for a family reunion over the week of July 4. I’ve got plenty of room to carry camping gear on the 950 but I would rather not deal with the extra gear unless I have to on the rest of the trip.

We’ll see.
  6. elevatorjunky

elevatorjunky oily adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you get a camp group together I will join in.
  7. mototifosi

mototifosi What does this one do?

Oddometer:
    I have ridden that area in late June early July a few years back and Lassen was still covered with snow big time. This years storms and record snowfalls may be something to consider in your timing...just a thought.
  8. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK. Two votes for camping
    • itsatdm
    • elevatorjunky
    I would like to leave this issue open till May or so.

The Modoc CBDT web site also notes that snow can be a problem on the mountain pass at the Oregon boarder. We will have to check with the FS before the trip.
  9. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested, but my calendar says 6/20/06 is a tuesday.
  10. softail

softail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested too, if you're camping. I'm not sure about those dates yet and won't know until closer to the time but I'll keep an eye on this thread.
  11. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I screwed up on the dates. Thanks Pinarretta.

I want to leave LA Friday 6/23 not 6/20 and hit the Lassen trail on Saturday 6/24.

Looks like camping is getting the nod here, still holding out hopeing to find a few people that only travel with a tooth brush. We will see.
  12. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    I want to ride this route. Do you know the elevations passing Lassen park? I agree that there will surely be a LOT of snow in Lassen park in late June.
  13. dakariste

dakariste Over and over the hill...

Oddometer:
    There is some info with pix and a few nice ride reports at pashnit.com.

I would be happy to venture a guess on the snow elevations later. It is possible to access the Lassen portion through Chico and Cohasset, then out Ponderosa Way north. This is the low elevation backroad detour for spring.

Here is some of the links:
    http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2864
    http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2852
    http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2835
    https://joefromsf.smugmug.com/gallery/840567/1/37700595

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3788
    https://cohassetsteve.smugmug.com/gallery/1003025

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4057&highlight=dakariste

Here's a pic of the entrance to the Ishi Wilderness from Cohasset. This road paralels Hwy 32, you connect to the Discovery Trails from here.
    [​IMG]
    Looks better without my ugly mug.:rofl
    [​IMG]
  14. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wohoo!! Pics of the route, thanks dakariste!

Can’t tell exactly where the pics are on the route – but this looks like just what I was looking for: Long distance off-road touring routes through California. If we combine the Lassen and Modoc CBDT trails we should have a 400 mile off-road route.

This is going to be great. :ricky
  15. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    This sounds interesting. but like Luv2lean mentioned, snow????

Nate
  16. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Just caught this thread and it sounds interesting. I live on Hwy32, 16 mi. east of Chico. I've hunted and fished the area for years. If you want to hook up, I'll see if I can get the time off. I can probably show you a "better" way to the trailhead. Yellow Creek campground is nice that time of year too. You can email me at:

nunes@horsesense.com

I dont always check the threads here, so the email is probably best.
  17. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    Nice Photos. They look remarkably like the rock formations off of the "H Line" above Cohasset.
    Am I close?
  18. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nooner818:

April is way to early to be asking snow questions, but since you live in the area, is riding through there at the end of June realistic?
  19. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    Right now the roads and trails are impassable due to snow. As you probably know, we've had record amounts this year. But, as things open up, I plan on doing lots of riding in that area. So, a couple of weeks before your planned launch date, I'll check the trails and let you know. It might be a good idea to think about a "plan B" like July or August if we don't get an early melt. Try to email me a reminder if you don't hear from me in this forum.

Also, it sounded like you were planning on doing LA to Chester in one leg. If you're up to it, more power to you! But, you might consider breaking it up into two legs. How much time off do you have to do this run? If you did break it up, day two you could go through Butte Meadows and Hubug Summit (Fire Roads) and end up in Humbug Valley. Yellow Creek Campground is there and just a short ride to the trailhead. Hotels are in Chester, but you have to backtrack to get to the trail. Camping at Yellow Creek is much nicer. Plus, if I'm around hot showers are always available at my place.

Anyway, I'll do the scouting and keep you posted. If it looks good, I'll try to get the time off to join you for a bit. At the very least, I'll be glad to offer any support and info.

Nooner
  20. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks nooner, we will be talking in June.

For the next couple of weeks I am going to be pretty busy stomping wildflowers. They keep popping up all over my trail, so I have to keep riding. Kind of a trail maintance deal. :evil