California Modoc and Lassen Discovery Trail, Call for riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Xfool, Mar 25, 2006.

1. KLRay

KLRay My Life on Two Wheels

Oddometer:
  2. KLRay

Oddometer:
    End 'O the line...
  3. KLRay

Oddometer:
    Along 36...
  4. KLRay

Oddometer:
    Lassie...
  5. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    After missing KLRay this morning, I felt like I needed a ride. As fortune would have it, "Chunks" called me looking for the same thing.

We headed up to Butte Meadows and up Humbolt Road. No. they haven't plowed it yet and we got stopped right quick. So, back down to the intersection and up Humbug Road to see how far up the snowline is today.

Here is a map of the Discovery Trail and where we got stopped by snow at waypoint 13.
    [​IMG]

Ah, lucky 13...
    Once again, the red dotted line is the stretch of Humbug that is snowed in. Conditions were warm today and I think things are melting pretty rapidly.

Here is a picture of Chunks primping for the ride up Humbug Road.
    [​IMG]

Another picture of the elusive beast in his natural habitat.
    [​IMG]

A picture of the bikes with me blessedly hiding in the shadows.
    [​IMG]

Here is a great little meadow we found along the way...
    I just had to stop for a couple of pictures.
    [​IMG]

Thank your lucky stars, I had my helmet on!
    [​IMG]

And, thank MY lucky stars I had my helmet on!

On the way back down, I had a little "offroad excursion". I wouldn't normally admit this, but I had a witness, so I gotta'! :puke1

We came to a place that only had one way through, on the right hand side of the road. One little rut that I had ridden through on the way up (in first gear) and now approached on the way down in second.

Needles to say, I hit the groove wrong and the front tire rode up out of the groove. Next thing I know, I'm takin' a little "dirt nap" amongst the boulders on the side of the hill. I think poor Chunks aged a few years wondering if I had busted my ass.

Luckily (due to the fact that I bought good protective gear for both me and the bike) the only harm done was a few scratches on the motorcycle and a severely bruised (yet somehow still over-inflated) ego.

I figure, these things will happen from time to time. I'd just like to keep them to a minimum!

Live and learn!
  6. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    Awesome pictures Ray!

I guess I should have ridden out with you this morning.

Maybe then I could have kept my ego in check and my ass in the saddle! :lol3

Oh, and by the way, I run a 14 tooth sprocket too.

Slow and easy, slow and easy...

Nooner
  7. dakariste

dakariste Over and over the hill...

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you are safe and sound!

I forgot to mention the nasty ruts I saw hiding in the shade again. And then there was that 3 foot high landslide hiding in the shadows in that same area!

Good to remember, as Cadillac as they have tried to make the Discovery Trail, mother nature still has some surprises waiting for us!
  8. dakariste

Oddometer:
    I like the Mineral Lodge. It is the gas stop (well across the street) only a few miles from the Battle Creek Campground planned stop. I think they have good food, at least for breakfast. They also have a private campground.

I stayed in a cabin there as a child. It was winter and the ski resort was still in operation. It snowed every night, and I as left thinking that snow somehow expanded every night, as I had never actually seen it snow!
  9. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dakariste,

I wish I could say it was "mother nature".

Nope, just me being stupid.
  10. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Just discovered this thread. Sounds like a great ride. It starts a day or so after I get home from a multi day DS ride in the Hells Canyon area (DRZ400). If I can pull it together in time I could borrow my son's KLR, or more likely take my DL650.I'm seriously interested if you aren't overloaded with riders.
  11. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a good question. I am stilll interested in this ride also, anybody have an idea how many others plan on making it?
    Will those of us that are gps impaired have a problem following the trail?
  12. KLRay

Oddometer:
    Only if you're following behind someone with a GPS! :rofl
  13. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, lets have a ride check.....

All of those seriously interested in this ride please raise your hand. :lurk
  14. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hand up.
  15. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    My hand says yes, but my schedule says no.

As far as the GPS goes...

You'll find that the GPS might get a little unreliable along the route. Not to worry, just follow your nose. The roads are fairly well marked and if you have a reasonable sense of direction, you won't get into too much trouble.

My GPS tends to get off track and parallel the route when it loses accurate satellite data. If you watch the route line and compare it to the track you'll see you're going the right way. For me, it doesn't matter, 'cause I know the way. But, if I was new to the area and dependent on the GPS, I might get a little concerned.

Not to worry! You'll find your way through without too much trouble. If you get out of sorts just remember, it's an adventure! You'll find your way back to the main road and be on your way.

I'll try to make one more run up Humbug Road this month (and I'm sure others will too) to let you know about the snow. Right now it looks like about 3 miles of marginal to impassable road between waypoint 12 and 13 due to snow. Things have been fairly warm lately, so the melt should be progressing pretty well.

I'd depend on old hands like KLRay and Dakariste for advice and road reports as things get close to your trip. They can provide you with the stuff you need to make it safely.

Modoc...

Well, I can't help you there!

Good Luck!

Nooner
  16. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still undecided. Had planned to go to BV for the Adventure rally. Could make a loop and go The Long Way around, but the prospect on a KLX doesn't have much appeal.
    The pictures of the roads look doable on my TDM850 which would make the ride to Colorado more enjoyable. What are you hiding?
  17. KLRay

Oddometer:
    I had a Triumph Tiger along on one of the rides I lead last year. :thumb
  18. dakariste

Oddometer:
    I've been getting that Modoc itch lately. Last year I had some fun trying to find my way north on Ponderosa Way, north of 36. Blocked by snow I had some fun adventures in the labyrinth of logging roads. Also I have never been to the Glass Mountain due to haste or snow. I'd like to overcome that missing adventure near or before your ride.

And I am hoping to see some of you on the ride. Either at Yellow Creek or Battle Creek. Later in the year I hope you consider a route around the north state that takes you from Lassen to Modoc and across to the ocean and back to the valley. Maybe next year. Around Nor Cal on all the dirt roads is one fun adventure!
  19. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i would like to join you all. I dont ride fast; but i stay upright, knock on wood. It's a part of the state i've never seen.
  20. KLRay

Oddometer:
    *crickets

...ahhhem...in honor of RexHarrison's last post, #199... :D