California Modoc and Lassen Discovery Trail, Call for riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Xfool, Mar 25, 2006.

1. KLRay

KLRay My Life on Two Wheels

Oddometer:
    me an da Champ... :D
  2. KLRay

Oddometer:
    me an da Champ again... :D
  3. KLRay

Oddometer:
    ...and one last pic of me and #199...:D
  4. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Rex on the 199 Pastrana award :clap
  5. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    Hi Dakariste!

That sounds outstanding!

Keeps us all posted about your plans...

Just got back from work and I've got a bad case of Jetlagitis...

If I'm feeling up to it, I'll try to let you guys know about that last stretch (wpt. 12 & 13) of Humbug. Hopefully, it will be clear for your ride.

I plan to camp out at Yellow Creek Campground on June 29th. or 30th. Just fishin' and farting around. If anybody is around there at the time, maybe I'll run into them. I'll PM XFool my number, in case you guys need anything.

Feel free to PM me anytime. I may not be around, but if I am, I'm always ready to help in any way I can.

Nooner
  6. KLRay

Oddometer:
    +1

BTW, there's a much better place to camp than Battle Creek, about 12 miles or so north of Mineral, but I don't know the name of it. I think it's called Brokeoff meadow or something like that. It's a lot prettier and it's free. :wink:
  7. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

Sorry no pictures today 'cause I forgot the camera at home. But, I do have todays GPS track to show you where the snow starts. Here ya' go!
    [​IMG]

As usual, the magenta line is the track I managed to complete. The dotted red line is the impassable section of the road.

The GPS says it's 1.3 miles between waypoint 14 and waypoint 12.

I wish I had the camera to show you the snow drifts. Walked about a 1/2 mile beyond where I stopped (abeam waypoint 14 - GPS a little wonky) Knee high in places, but some adverturous 4WD's have been blazing trails. And, there are some places where you can ride around the drifts, but you have to "offroad" into the forest.

Mainly it's the shaded areas around the summit that are still not melted quite yet. If we were having hot weather (which is usual this time of year) I'd say no problem! Another week of melt and you're on your way. However, the temperatures have been really mild. Around 75 degrees in Forest Ranch today.

So, I was thinking...

Maybe a "Plan B" to get you around the summit. Around waypoint 12 is road 26N31 that I've highlighted in brown. It connects to road 26N02 (highlighted in orange) down by Panhandle Creek. It's "The Long Way Round" but it might get you to where you're going. I haven't ridden the route, so I can't make any comments on it being open or not. But, the elevation is definitely lower along that route.

Maybe one of the local pro's (You listening Dakariste?) could go up there and see if there is a way around the snow.

I have to leave for work again, but I'll be back for a couple of days next week. I'll see if I can make one more stab at the summit for you then.
  8. dakariste

dakariste Over and over the hill...

Oddometer:
    I think that is a good plan! But don't let a foot of snow stop you!
    [​IMG]

I also like the idea of the optional camping spot 13 miles off the road instead of Battle Creek, but that would depend on arrival time in Mineral for the gas stop.

You won't believe my luck, but I decided to ride up Hwy 32 Saturday with my bad bearings, Ozzy was making me sneak my bike in this Wednesday to get in fixed properly....well 41 miles up Hwy 32, well out of cell phone range, a tiny finishing nail that had worked its way into my tire succeeded in tearing up the tube. I just laughed when I realized it was not an easy repair...at least not by me...

I only spoke to one passerby in six hours. They said they would call a tow truck for me. I mentioned Ozzy's and they said they lived in his neigborhood and would be passing right by his shop. From what they heard, they would be surprised if he didn't show up himself. I chuckled and said he mentioned that before, and knows my home address by heart, from picking up my bike a few times.....

Tow trucks passed many times that afternoon and so I knew it was a very busy day... I didn't expect one to arrive for several hours... and then Ozzy's grandson appeared with a trailor...

My bike should be ready on Wednesday. Hopefully I can ride after that with out loosing conciousness or an suffering an earthquake, volcanic eruption or some other natural disaster thwarting my plans for a successful outing
  9. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nooner: Snowed in summit section down from 3 miles to 1.3 miles. The trip is in two weeks, this is going to be close but we just might make it. :ricky

Thanks for the alternate route suggestion.
  10. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tell me more about this camp site past mineral. Are you thinking about Cabin Springs? Is the appeal more scenery or less crowd?

BTW: Does anyone have a USFS fire permit you would loan to this responsible group?
  11. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure which campground KLRay is referring to, but I sure hope he didn't mean "Brokeback Meadow" :rofl

I'd loan you my fire permit, but I'm going to be needing it during your ride.

Not to worry, getting one is no problem. Go to any USFS station and they'll write you one for nothing. They are good for any National Forest Land or BLM Land in California. Some designated wilderness areas require a special permit, but I'm pretty sure that wont apply on your ride. There are currently no fire restrictions in effect up here, but watch for the signs in the area you're riding.

I'm sure you can pick one up locally (So-Cal) and it's good for the whole state.

Nooner
  12. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks, now i got that going for me:norton
  13. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    itsatdm: Thanks for the Idaho link. Looks like snow problems on the Lolo Motorway as well.
  15. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friday 6/23: Yellow Creek campground (n40 7.583, w121 14.752) in Humbug Valley. For me that is a 660 mile iron butt ride up I-5 out of LA. If I don’t wave pulling into camp you will understand.

Saturday 6/24: 100 mile CBDT route adventure. Start the ride out of Yellow Creek at about 9:30. That should provide plenty of time to break camp, meet and greet, and local riders to work there way over to the start of the route.

From Yellow Creek campground we will go about 2 miles up the road and see if we can find the first CBDT trail marker at the start of the route on the ridge top, then back track past Yellow Creek camp and ride 12 miles over to Humbug Summit. At the summit, or the first snow bank that stops us, we will have a little pow-wow and determine if we want to soldier the 1.2 miles of snow drifts that have stopped Nooner, take an alternate route around the summit, or do some serious backtracking to get over to Mineral. We have plenty of time to make the 100 mile route to Mineral so we may attempt all three options.

There is a campground at Mineral/Battle Creek (n40 20.893, w121 37.577) and a campground 13 miles further North on the CBDT route at Cabin Springs (n40 27.613, w121 37.611). We need to figure out which one of these we will be staying at as a couple of people are considering hooking up with us at camp on Sunday morning.

Sunday 6/25: 100 miles to the end of the Lassen CBDT route on hwy 299 at McArthur. From there we are going to work our way over to the Medicine Lake area and take on the Modoc CBDT route on Monday morning. I need to contact the Modoc Forest and get a snow report for Medicine Lake. We may have to skip the first 10 miles of the Modoc CBDT and pick up the route below the snow line.

Here is the latest version of the gps routes.
  16. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Modoc gpx route
  17. KLRay

Oddometer:
    Here's a few pics...
  18. KLRay

Oddometer:
  19. KLRay

Oddometer:
    BTW, it's usually greener this time of year, the pics are in late Sept...
  20. KLRay

Oddometer: