California Modoc and Lassen Discovery Trail, Call for riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Xfool, Mar 25, 2006.

1. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm offically out. My Son just made the finals with his Base ball team. The big game is on Saturday. That's not even the All Stars which is going on at the same time. If anything changes, I'll let you know.

Nate
  2. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLRay: Nice photos.

Are you planning on sticking around past Sunday and do the Modoc portion of the CBDT?
  3. KLRay

KLRay My Life on Two Wheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I didn't take them. Credits go to m0t0-ryder, Kimber99 and Gary.

I'm interested in the Modoc section, but I've been waiting to see what Paul's gonna do before I make any decisions.
    Where you going on up to Modoc Paul?
  4. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is our group so far:
    Dakariste
    Duckrider
    KLRay (maybe)
    RexHarrison
    Xfool

Riders we havn't herd from in awhile, I sent PM's to see who is in:
    bmwkid,............ Mendodave
    DannyG,............ Motowest
    Elevatorjunky,.... Rogueriver
    Jim SB,............. Timb
    JP4evr,............. Wiz-o
  5. dakariste

dakariste Over and over the hill...

Oddometer:
    Amazing as it may seem, my bike is running! Flat was fixed (twice), bearings changed. It's Father's Day so I guess this Sunday is out.

Ahhhhhh. I don't know yet! Our new factory is is almost built, I suspect I will get to take off next weekend. What day is it today?

I will have to let you know this week.
  6. KLRay

Oddometer:
    Humbug's open.
  7. KLRay

Oddometer:
    The worst of it.
  8. KLRay

Oddometer:
    The other side.
  9. KLRay

Oddometer:
    You can almost touch the clouds up there.
  10. KLRay

Oddometer:
    Humbolt Peak in distance.
  11. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wohoo! The first successful traverse of Humbolt Summit.
    Thanks KLRay
  12. KLRay

Oddometer:
    Humbug actually, I know it's only three small letters on paper, but it's a world of difference on the ground...:D
    Also included is a view of nearby Humbolt peak.

You could come up Humbolt road if you prefer, but be sure to add a few extra hrs to your itenerary to allow for the dodging of wayward mountain goats!:rofl

One other thing, though I know it doesn't need to be said, I'll repeat it just once so as to rest my own old worried mind:

please, Please, PLEASE be on the lookout for oncoming traffic between Yellow Creek and Hwy32 on sections 1&2, it's NOT uncommon to have a ton-and-a-half 4x4 come sliding around a corner sideways across the entire road in this area....I dodged four yesterday, and it was a weekday.

Once you cross hwy32 and drop down into Ishi, it wouldn't be unusual not to see another vehicle for the entire rest of the day.
  13. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    Nicely done Ray!

Just got back from work to find that you made it through. I hoped to find time to look myself this week, but things have been ganging up on me.

Tomorrow I have to go to the Bay Area. And, I promised to help a guy look for his broken "Doo" parts in his oil screen later this week.

I still plan to camp around the area at the end of the month. So, maybe I'll see some of you around!

Nooner
  14. KLRay

Oddometer:
    Good!! you go ahead and get goood at that...cuz I'm using mine as a test bomb!!:rofl
    ...I wanna find out just how many miles a KLR can go with a stock doohickey!! :huh
  15. KLRay

Oddometer:
    Can you believe it??
    Offer to take the guy riding, and he bans me.
    I guess the stress must be gettin' to be too much for poor 'ol Gary...:nod
  16. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    shot from NASA rapifire from yesterday. Humbug has clear up and the snow pack at Medicine lake is looking lighter.

The last ride check had:
    Dakariste
    Duckrider
    KLRay (maybe)
    Xfool​

Riders we havn't herd from in awhile, I sent PM's to see who is in:
    bmwkid,............ Mendodave
    DannyG,
    Elevatorjunky,.... Rogueriver
    Jim SB,............. Timb
    JP4evr,............. Wiz-o​
  17. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friday 6/23: Yellow Creek campground (n40 7.583, w121 14.752) in Humbug Valley. For me that is a 660 mile iron butt ride up I-5 out of LA. If I don’t wave pulling into camp you will understand.

Saturday 6/24: 100 mile CBDT route adventure. Start the ride out of Yellow Creek at about 9:30. That should provide plenty of time to break camp, meet and greet, and local riders to work there way over to the start of the route.

From Yellow Creek campground we will go about 2 miles up the road and see if we can find the first CBDT trail marker at the start of the route on the ridge top, then back track past Yellow Creek camp and ride 12 miles over to Humbug Summit. At the summit, or the first snow bank that stops us, we will have a little pow-wow and determine if we want to soldier the 1.2 miles of snow drifts that have stopped Nooner, take an alternate route around the summit, or do some serious backtracking to get over to Mineral. We have plenty of time to make the 100 mile route to Mineral so we may attempt all three options.

There is a campground at Mineral/Battle Creek (n40 20.893, w121 37.577) and a campground 13 miles further North on the CBDT route at Cabin Springs (n40 27.613, w121 37.611). We need to figure out which one of these we will be staying at as a couple of people are considering hooking up with us at camp on Sunday morning.

Sunday 6/25: 100 miles to the end of the Lassen CBDT route on hwy 299 at McArthur. From there we are going to work our way over to the Medicine Lake area and take on the Modoc CBDT route on Monday morning. I need to contact the Modoc Forest and get a snow report for Medicine Lake. We may have to skip the first 10 miles of the Modoc CBDT and pick up the route below the snow line.
  18. KLRay

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll be able to make it for at least part of the ride.:clap

Don't worry about a camping spot, the whole LNF is a camping spot! :D

Just make sure to get a fire permit. :nod
  19. nooner818

nooner818 eX-nOOb

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Got the heebie jeebies today, so I ran away from home for a few hours.

Went up to Mineral to see about the availability of gas. Put on a couple of gallons at the Mineral Gas And Deli ($3.75/gallon for regular) and talked to the nice lady there. She said that she would be there from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM on the 24th and 25th to gas you up. She will be closed on the 27th to go to court (I didn't ask). If you are going to need gas at some weird time, you can call her and she'll make sure she's there for you. Sorry, I didn't get the number, but I'm sure you can find it online or in the yellow pages up here.

Followed the Discovery Trail above Mineral to Highway 44. The roads are in really good shape and are probably the easiest ride you'll have between Yellow Creek and Hwy. 44. Just a couple of shallow washouts and the usual washboard stuff. Hwy 36 to Hwy 44 in a hour or so if you're slow like me.

Not a very scenic ride, but in comparison to Ishi, it's downright green with trees! Here is a little photo at my stop.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, have a great trip and be safe. There a lots of 4WD's, 4 wheelers and logging trucks to look out for. XFool, give me a call on my cell if you run into trouble. I'll be in Dallas, but I can always call someone to help you. :ear

Nooner
  20. dakariste

dakariste Over and over the hill...

Oddometer:
    It was 103f today in Chico, and it's going to be 106 f tomorrow. Look for the Ishi to be a very hot ride.