California - The Adventure Republic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NSFW, Jul 24, 2012.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    then to Lippencott
    [​IMG]

this driver pulled next to us and asked if he could drive down on his 4x4 sprinter in order to get to Darwin. Matt told him it will be better for him to take Hunter Mountain Rd...........great advice!
    [​IMG]

the start was easy but dark clouds lurking behind those hills
    upload_2021-1-3_21-49-16.png

upload_2021-1-3_21-53-0.png

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stick around, more pics coming...:y0!
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Man, I really appreciate you guys who pull the cameras out!
    Bullseye likes this.
  3. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Aww. Sorry, Joel :(:
    was that your first time on lippincott?
    I wonder if you would have liked going up better?
    No worries about engine braking, just keep your momentum...

But at least you were inspired to try it, right? And you survived just fine :gdog
    looking forward to the rest of the report!

k
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  4. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I'd way rather go down something like Lippencott than go up it, but I know lots of others feel differently. Maybe I'll give 'up' a go at n00bs :D
    Davethestick and LittleWan like this.
  5. ntsqd

ntsqd I get a title?

Oddometer:
    Does Lippencott still have that partial wash-out, badly off-camber narrow spot that it had ~20 years ago?
  6. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I can't recall a washed out section... I felt there was only 1 particularly tricky part where it was a bunch of chunk around a slight right hand turn and then you had your choice of loose fist-sized rocks on the left, or an off-camber loose-over-hard line on the right (going down). Joel walked his bike down that part (bent rear brake made controlling speed through there pretty tricky), and I had a couple of dabs trying to stay out of the loose rocks, but I think everyone else in our group made it down with no fuss.

EDIT: Here's a photo from @rider914 looking up the section I'm talking about. I'm waiting at the right-hand turn at the top.
    [​IMG]
  7. ntsqd

ntsqd I get a title?

Oddometer:
    That looks like it is almost at the short tunnel. The spot that I'm thinking of is a ways further down the hill. Maybe about here. Jeez, it's only been ~20 years since I was on that route, maybe I need to go thru there again? Oh darn, "Honey, A road has changed and I HAVE to go to DV!" :)
  8. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    That's the section that will mess with your head if you let it. Looks like it hasn't changed much for the past 14 years. Two of us rode up that on R1200GSA's in 2007. Our first time on Lippencott and we were told that station wagons could drive up that road. Those massive GSA's were a handful on that section but somehow we made it up to the race track but considered turning around several times but that was harder than moving forward.

These are the type of sections where you learn the difference between riding a light weight dual sport thumper and a heavy adv twin. I'm guessing there will be a big difference riding a T7 up that section vs. a KTM 350 EXC-F or similiar light weight dual sport.

The deep gravel sections of Goler Wash, step ups and also Pleasant Canyon loop are difficult on a twin adv bike compared to a light weight thumper. I've learned I can ride a thumper anywhere in Death Valley but I stay on the easier sections when on my Africa Twin or the GS's I have owned in the past. Death Valley has something for everyone. It is a great place to ride this time of year.

I love it that we can ride 12 months a year in California.
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    kelly, no real worry, but next time at the noobs, i will have my revenge. no uphill. last time i did Lippencott was on a 4x4.

stronger riders should have no problem.

can't beat the socal weather for sure.

anyway, not ashamed of failure since i don't pamper my ego, but was proud after i make it to the bottom

combination of the bruised right arm, high idling and bent rear brake pedal, had no choice. i know, steer with the pegs but at this point, my bike was pointing down towards the bad line, need to cross over to the right.........thanks to @rider914 for being a good brother.
    upload_2021-1-4_13-9-47.png

didn't take me long to notice, ASR is a much better rider after taking the Jimmy Lewis Class. all i can do is admire his new persona, always on the pegs and faster pace....:bow

upload_2021-1-4_13-18-1.png
  10. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    @NSFW - sometimes shit happens. I know you'll clean it at the nOOb rally. :thumb
    NSFW likes this.
  11. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @NSFW nice thing about Jimmy's class is I can watch that video you took and pick out all the things I did wrong!

Not sure I'm much faster, but definitely feel more confident... and riding with others always has me trying things I wouldn't on my own.
    catfish, Bullseye, 2on2off and 3 others like this.
  12. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with walking your bike. I do it when I need to.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    pick your line
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from here and on, it was a fun ride with beautiful landscape
    [​IMG]

unknowingly dropped one of my spare gloves and glad Matt picked it up on the trail...another good deed of the day
    upload_2021-1-4_19-7-49.png

back on South Pass
    [​IMG]
  14. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Yup - I did it just a few days later on my ride with @Bullseye
    Bullseye likes this.
  15. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh man... Last time I rode up Lippencott was in the dark on my XR400. I think because it was dark I didn't really notice how rough it was.. Hope you heal up quickly. I'm enjoying all the DV reporting!

[​IMG]
    TwilightZone, NSFW and catfish like this.
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    bringing a small camera is no big deal, but taking pictures is distracting and got me in trouble while riding a few times. it will be easier to focus on riding without composing in my mind beautiful and memorable shots. wish i can give up taking pictures, but my rides is all about keeping records of good memories and sharing.

thinking in the last few days that i will just use the gopro and run it on video with a remote on the handlebar. leave it on and just ride.

i have the chin mount and can do a voice control too, just need to practice using it.
    [​IMG]

thanks Jim. i've done it many times and ride within my limits. trying to be a hero and crash will ruin everyone's ride.

thanks Cab. bruised on right arm started to go away and less nuisance.

haha, never seen an XR with a bright light. i will need to do the suspension on my little red for the noobs rally washboard rides.
    TwilightZone and LittleWan like this.
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    pics from @rider914 smugmug

Matt and i stopped at the viewpoint to put on warm layers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

today's ride we got rewarded with good weather........:clap
    liv2day, slogger, dzrtracin and 6 others like this.
  18. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Was there any snow or ice sections on South Pass?
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    no snow, and only ice we saw was on the side of the road at Hunter Pass which i believe from the November storm.

it rained that night and according to @HBSURFDAD, hw190 near Father Crowley Vista had ice early in the morning but gone later on. it will be nice if someone can report back the snow condition. @Goofy Footer and Brandon were planning to ride up to Lippincott via Hunter the following day, and they can tell us if they did.

chances are, we are the last group to ride those places until next spring.
  20. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Hunter Mountain and North Pass can close when they receive enough snow. I rode through Hunter Mtn one year when there was a foot of snow. Jeeps couldn't make it but we made it only because we could ride on the sides of the road where the snow wasn't as deep and still barely made it through.

After a good snow, south pass has two sections in particular that are shaded and don't see the sun until sometime in late February and this is where the snow melts and refreezes to create sections of ice slab that are almost impassable as they are on an incline. Going down them is possible but going up can be a challenge.

Thanks for the update.