California - The Adventure Republic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NSFW, Jul 24, 2012.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    2021.04.10, Ojai - Quatal Canyon - Maricopa - Pozo Saloon - High Mountain Rd (Arroyo Grande) - Santa Maria

the 2021 noobs rally was still fresh in my mind but didn't really get enough saddle time. the urge to ride and put lots of miles was constantly in my mind. my 2018 husqvarna 701e sits in the garage most of the time and has less than 4k miles. the plan is to make it my light adventure bike for a change (think i put 16k+ miles on my africa twin last year).

with very short notice, i was able to get 3 inmates to join me and ride Carrizo Plains. we used to do an annual ride but it has been 4 years since we did it.

minutes before 7am in front of my house @BiggieFalls
    [​IMG]

soon after, @smogged.out showed up complete with brand new bike and gear, head to toe. not a noob, s.o. was seriously prepared for this ride. glad to have you aboard!
    [​IMG]

met @Doc Sarvis in Ojai at 9am, and immediately we're on our way
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

though it's pavement, the 33 is a fun road
    [​IMG]

that's a lot of work digging through solid rock
    [​IMG]

then to Quatal Canyon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

another group coming from the opposite direction...anyone we know?
    [​IMG]

doc sarvis on a beautiful steed
    [​IMG]

smogged.out
    [​IMG]

biggie
    [​IMG]

don't get easily fooled by this road, easy to go fast, lots of blind dips and i had seen lots of unsuspecting riders crashed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be continued
  2. NSFW

Oddometer:
    we hit Hudson Ranch Road, high-speed big sweeper
    upload_2021-4-13_17-58-32.png

[​IMG]

it was 90 miles from Ojai to Maricopa. we gassed up, talked to a couple of Africa Twin riders and joined the photo shoot
    [​IMG]

then to Elkhorn Grade Road, pavement for about a mile
    [​IMG]

asked for a 1-minute headstart so i can set up the camera, but first....camera check...:D
    [​IMG]

here they come
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

from the dust, i can tell smogged.out and the big ktm are starting to like this road
    [​IMG]

biggie staying cool
    [​IMG]

thanks biggie for getting me in the act
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

riding next to the san andreas fault
    [​IMG]

fortunately, none of us got swallowed by the monster on this ride
    [​IMG]

upload_2021-4-13_18-33-24.png

thanks again biggie ......:y0!
    [​IMG]

doc sarvis in the downstream crosswind to keep the dust away from the rider behind
    [​IMG]

more riders on big bikes
    [​IMG]

anyone can i.d. these guys?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we leap-frogged whenever they see me falling behind....:lol2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

nominating this to be the best picture on Elkhorn Grade
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

another good one....thanks smogged.out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

somewhere here, doc sarvis took simmler rd to ride 3 hours to get home
    [​IMG]

the 3 of us kept on going.....:ricky:ricky:ricky
  3. NSFW

Oddometer:
    jumped on the 58, made a left on La Panza and then to Pozo Saloon
    [​IMG]

upload_2021-4-13_18-39-40.png

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as for the food, we didn't hold back even knowing we're going to have a bbq in a few hours at @The Letter J place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    gammel, klaviator, rjnutt and 4 others like this.
  4. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i wasn't sure if Hi Mountain Road is open, but after contacting an inmate living in Arroyo Grande, we were assured it is..more dirt then...:evil

before taking off, one more Pozo without the frozo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we saw a lot of 4 wheeled vehicles, we're all here to share
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

don't know what happened to my other pics.

lopez lake was very quiet
    [​IMG]

beautiful ranches
    upload_2021-4-13_19-12-48.png

downtown arroyo grande
    [​IMG]

after gassing up, i'll take whatever help i could find
    [​IMG]

biggie and i are shameless adv riders so we grabbed our reservation in Santa Maria
    [​IMG]

our timing in getting to @The Letter J house was perfect. Tri-tip, linguica, Jocko beans, bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, home made carrot cake, lots of drinks, etc....:dukegirl...:nod:nod:nod
    [​IMG]

J, big thanks for having us, good to meet your wife and played with your kids...the food was top notch and we can't stop eating......:lol3

glad we finally met. good luck on this weekends' event and getting the FS to stop closing our riding areas. let us know how we can help.
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2021.04.11, Santa Maria - Pappy's - Foxen Canyon - Los Olivos - Figueroa Mountain - Happy Canyon - N. Refugio - West Camino Cielo - East Camino Cielo - Summerland - home

next morning was breakfast in town
    [​IMG]

support your local business
    [​IMG]

we were still full from last night's bbq and still we ordered the big breakfast...hehe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

to Los Olivos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then biggie took us to his favorite childhood summer vacation place where he has lots of fond memories....can anyone guess?
    [​IMG]

no drama or emotion was shown before we rode to Figueroa Mountain
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

smogged.out, if you ride with nsfw, you will get a lot of exposure....:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be continued....:y0!
  6. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was that Neverland?

Edit: yes it is.
    Mr.JAJA, MeefZah and NSFW like this.
  7. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    20 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    Pappy's Restaurant....remember eating there as a kid.....spent some time in Santa Maria as a kid......dad was in trucking business and if I remember correctly Pappy's was at the time right near a large truck stop area.

Also we use to camp at Lopez Lake. Spent many a day on High Mtn Road on my trusty 1973 Suzuki TS125J "Duster".....which sits in the shed in my backyard in dire need of restoration.

Anyways I digress.....great report and pics....
    Chillis and NSFW like this.
  8. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Clinging to life Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn me for cutting out early! Great pics.
    smogged.out, Chillis and NSFW like this.
  9. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Only the fondlest memories.
  10. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks again @The Letter J for a perfect ending to a great day of riding. Your generous hospitality was greatly appreciated and it was truly a pleasure meeting and interacting with everyone. Hopefully you will have some kind of breakthrough with your back situation.
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    brian. sounds like you know that address, did you get the chance to go inside?....:eekers

:yikes

just like a big teddy bear...:clap

the ts125 is a cool bike and won't mind owning one.

we've been eating at Pappy's every time we're in the area. good food, service, value and easy parking.

another place we want to to go back is Jocko's, except our timing, was always bad. very popular and good food.

easier just to spend the night in town, the long ride and the rush to get back to home ruins the good riding. glad to meet you and good seeing another 701 riding along.

same here, J hope to see you on your 690 sometime this year, sooner the better.
    Mr.JAJA and Chillis like this.
  12. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    20 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    TS125 was bullet proof.

Haven't been to Jacko's in years....parents use to live right down the street from it. Not sure if they ever remodeled, back in the day it was pretty basic place in terms of interior/decor...yet always a long wait list to get in.......
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2021.04.11 continuation

Figueroa Mtn - N. Refugio Rd - W. Camino Cielo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

took a short break to hydrate....smogged.out got on his back
    [​IMG]

using gravity, got his water from the R80
    [​IMG]

then biggie led us to this gate, our guess is it belongs to a prominent person?
    [​IMG]

we stopped to enjoy the ocean view...wasn't the best visibility
    [​IMG]
  14. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Clinging to life Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reagan ranch. California in the spring does not suck.
    BiggieFalls, Chillis and NSFW like this.
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    the fun begins
    [​IMG]

lots of rocky sections
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

at one point, we can see the ocean on the west and Lake Cachuma on the east
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

barely we can see the ocean
    [​IMG]

biggie on the Lake Cachuma side
    [​IMG]

Lake Cachuma
    [​IMG]
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    :thumb

the 701 waiting patiently for the gate to open...:dirtdog
    [​IMG]
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    we're not the only one riding
    [​IMG]

ruts in many sections, worst condition i ever saw w. camino, not exactly a noob/big bike-friendly
    [​IMG]

one of the many ww2 observation along the pacific coast ridgeline
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

not far from where the pavement starts is this loose and long hill climb. it reminds me of a section of Silver Canyon in Bishop on the way up to WMRS. i took the left line and did ok, but the other line is better (in retrospect).
    [​IMG]

we stopped to see all made it
    [​IMG]

out of nowhere, we got passed by experienced riders
    [​IMG]

the way she rode the off-cambered section to go around me, i was impressed by her skill with our without electronic traction control
    [​IMG]

comes another one
    [​IMG]

we chatted while they regrouped where the pavement starts
    [​IMG]

rider from Long Beach wanted to know about the 701
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

soon they all took off. awesome to see the big bike riders are out and enjoying the perfect weather
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we hit San Marcos Pass, smogged.out peeled off to get home while biggie and i continued to E. Camino Cielo.

thanks @smogged.out for joining us, going with the flow, and sharing your pics. you're always welcome to our future rides. wish more adventure riding in your future.
    BigDogRaven, Oznerol, rjnutt and 12 others like this.
  18. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never went. No pun. Would like to see the place though.
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Chillis likes this.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2021.04.11 East Camino Cielo - Summerland - Home

East CC is all pavement, narrow and twisty with a great view of Santa Ynes valley and the coastal cities on the pacific. prior to the pics below, biggie was leading and he was railing every corner and i could not keep up. only when he stopped and let me lead, thus the reason for having pics of the ride.
    [​IMG]

having street tires would be good to have but we managed. a super moto would be the ideal ride
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

once we made it to the main street, we became law-abiding citizens... the truth is can't go fast due to the many stop signs.
    [​IMG]

the surface streets were slow and difficult to navigate. jumping on the freeway is much easier. the plan is for a late lunch at a Padaro Beach Grill on Santa Claus Lane which Doc Sarvis recommended
    [​IMG]

interesting character and the rest of the gang
    [​IMG]

got off the exit ramp and grab cold drinks, but it wasn't a grocery anymore. learned it became a restaurant/high-end interior furnishing store 2 years ago. can't help noticed lots of well-healed and good-looking women going in and out of the store....but it was seeing tables in the shade and the lack of crowd made this place an easy choice for us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

for 2 unemployed riders, it's pricy but we didn't care since we are spending our stimulus $
    [​IMG]

biggie and i had the roast beef sandwich combined with Torres Chips was one of the best in my experience. the service was great and they provided us unlimited cold water.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

happy to scrubbed the outside knobs. i have been using Dunlop 606 since it was $57 back in 2007 and pretty happy. biggie and smogged.out prefer the Motoz Tractionator Adventure DS which i would like to try later. they claimed good traction and long-wearing which is perfect for multi-day rides.
    [​IMG]

after 900 miles, hope to get 500 more. i find this Michelin Anakee Wild better than my go-to-tire, the Dunlop 606 but it's $40 more expensive.
    [​IMG]

we fueled up at a little gas station in Summerland and the cashier complained about my $5 worth of purchase. either i uninterrupted him doing his social media or just not used to seeing people buying so little. maybe he just hate work or people! for sure he made himself clear that he was upset. i would avoid this gas station. the review reflects my comment.
    upload_2021-4-14_14-19-9.png

then a little setback on our way home. i was leading and after several miles, noticed biggie wasn't behind me. thought he can't lane split but still it bothered me not seeing him in my rearview mirrors. i pulled over to the side of the freeway and waited. got a text that he lost his glasses. eventually, he found them and we continued our ride home.

from the desert over the mountains and finally to the sea....only in the left coast
    [​IMG]

the total mileage for me, gps showing higher number and not sure which one is correct. biggie must have at least 600 miles total.
    [​IMG]

this explains why i was sore for 2 days
    [​IMG]

looking forward for more long-distance riding on the 701. the plan is go to Alaska on this bike, and while waiting for the northern border to open, need to sort out several items. i will need a better suspension after riding Racetrack, Lippencott, more washboards, and bunch of local rocky dirt roads. think i already pushed the limits of my custom WP 4CS forks and will be looking for an upgrade. i only have the basic resprung, lowered, and revalved work done....was thinking it will all be easy fire roads and opted for the least $ Konflict service.

next is to find soft luggage. smogged.out has the latest Mosko R80 and love to try that model if it will work. i wasted my $$ on the R40 after i fitted it on the bike. the 701 has a fat ass due to the rear tank, ended up selling an almost brand new R40 for a lot less. besides, it is too small, i like to carry stuff...hehe

another is to shelve the current handlebar with Oxford heated grips. good when you need it, but it is hard as a rock. have 2 handlebars, one for winter and the other for summer, build a setup using an identical OEM handlebar so the ergo remains the same with better and softer grips. thanks to @rjnutt for donating his OEM to me.

again, i appreciate having Doc Sarvis, smogged.out, and BiggieFalls on this ride. riding is more with friends and safer in many ways. we are lucky there are like-minded people here in SoCal who are eager to ride and meet new faces.

hope the weather remains good for the next 6 weeks, let's get together when we have the opportunity.
    jdsuther, r3r3r, Bike Guy and 20 others like this.