California - The Adventure Republic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NSFW, Jul 24, 2012.

1. smogged.out

smogged.out Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow. now that was a ride report. thanks for that @NSFW . i want to ride as much as possible and have a lot of flexibility in my schedule so anyone interested in either day trips from LA or planning longer rides with camping let me know. i can also ride during the week. i have a street side warehouse style loft near down downtown LA with a roll up door and private parking right in front that can serve as a meet up/ coffee spot too.
  2. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Nice ride Joel, looks like everything went right for you all.
    Chillis and NSFW like this.
  3. Laurence2537

Laurence2537 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report @NSFW. Next time you go up Figueroa Mountain check out Zaca Ridge road, it's an out and back fairly easy road with awesome views, good for big bikes, you can see Zaca Lake from the ridge as well. Maybe about 10 miles long. The only pic i have of the road is this one which doesn't show the road very well but a nice view in the background, typical of Zaca Ridge road. And i agree about west camino cielo, since I moved to the area that road just gets worse every time i ride it, yet that makes it funner.

dr350 zaca.jpg
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    as long it doesn't get too hot, lots of people will still want to ride. good and centrally located meetup place you have. can we do a last-minute oil change in your private parking?

bt. overall it was a great weekend and we ate well! thanks for chiming in.

nice pic...:thumb, i see you're from Oz, least we can do is welcome you to SoCal. feel free to join us or post up your next ride.

thanks. we passed the turnoff to ZRR and noticed there were small dirt bikes in the area.

we also saw this trailhead but weren't sure it will lead us. next time if we have more time, will check out both of them.
  5. Laurence2537

Laurence2537 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me and @Warebear went up that trail and there was a locked gate only about a mile from the entrance.

If you continue along sunset valley road there is another trailhead just past Davey Brown campground that takes you along the east side of Figueroa mountain and ends up popping out along zaca ridge road. There is a locked gate there but it's very generous.

It's an awesome little area around Figueroa mountain, very beautiful and lots of great camping spots too.
    BiggieFalls, NSFW and Doc Sarvis like this.
  6. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I especially like the brewery. :-)
    What a great ride you guys. It was great to see my old stomping’ grounds. I can almost taste the burger at Pozo right now.
    I was half expecting some pics of the water crossing as you are starting out on High Mountain Road. Last time I was on that they had stopped maintaining it. They might have started again with all the fire activity.
    West Camino Ciello look a bit torn-up.
    Thanks again for taking us along.
    CA-Cincinnatus and NSFW like this.
  7. AUstate

AUstate Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a awesome ride you guys had! Great pics as well. Thanks for the ride report NSFW!
  8. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Clinging to life Supporter

Oddometer:
    1) The guy at the Summerland gas station is an a hole. Really surprised he didn't have cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Avoid the place like the virus. A friend spent a week of his vacation time on a jury trial on some matter over that place that was pretty chicken shit a few years back.
    2) I have a set of R80's that I used on my 1190 for years. Bought when they were about $450...... They fit the 701 and will carry the freight if needed. What is really needed is a 60L set which would fit better and give you options. I bought a Tusk excursion and its at 52L but it fits great and its relatively cheap as well. It has its flaws like the rest of them.

Great RR
    NSFW likes this.
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    thank you Laurence for the additional info. we'll be back and prefer a more laid-back pace. i will give you a heads-up so you could join us.

dana. you left a very beautiful place but where you are is very nice too. for many years i've been wanting to move to the Central Coast for the weather and the slower pace atmosphere. yes, there are lots of good riding and need to go back.

we may be able to do another Pozo Saloon Camping Rally. i inquired at the saloon and they will let us but the restroom will be an issue; it will be locked after business hours. will need to rent a porta-potty.

the first water crossing at HMR from the saloon is still at least a foot deep. it caught me by surprise and glad to get across. didn't want to take pictures of the guys behind so as not to jinxed them and drown their bikes. there are 4 more creek crossings but mostly dry and not as much baby heads and potato sized rocks.

present condition at WCC i can handle as long i stay focused and not take pictures. if it gets worse, i would prefer to be on a smaller bike or have smogged.out behind me to help upright my bike if it happens. the pictures i posted are after we went through the harder rocky sections.

mike, thanks and you should be joining us. what are neighbors for?

doc, this guy is really a character with no appreciation for customers. i wanted to respond to his comment but got dumbfounded.
    unfortunately, unwary motorists will keep the store in business.

the funny part of the story, as i rode away, questioned myself why only over a gal when i must have used at least 2, then realized i only filled up the rade aux tank.....:lol3

thanks for the R80 and Tusk info.
    Greedyg76 likes this.
  10. smogged.out

smogged.out Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NSFW likes this.
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    s.o. once the current pandemic situation improved significantly, a tech day would be a good way for us to get together or just cruise in the city.
    Andrew likes this.
  12. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride Guys, was thinking about joining you. But been out of action (PT) after an Artificial Hip Install, but back riding now. Great loop!

Seeya on the next..
    Mike B
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Hello Mike. wow you're becoming a bionic hand cannon shooter. good to hear you're almost good ti ride again. see you on the next ride.
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  14. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel,

Great RR. Loved the pics. Brings back fond memories of my time in Santa Barbara.

The trailhead that you marked appears to be 8N08 (AKA McKinley Mountain Rd/Trail)
    I used to ride that road out to McKinley Mountain on my MTB (you can see the Sierras from the peak on a clear day). That road runs along the south side of the San Rafael Wilderness. I think it ends up at Buckhorn Road over near Little Pine Mtn. If I recall properly, there is a locked gate shortly past that intersection (not open to OHV, but open to hike/bike/horse).

I'm including a shot from our trip to the Carrizo Plain last month.

Hope to see you again sometime soon! -R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CA-Cincinnatus, Chillis, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Randall. Good to see you're still riding (i assume you were when you took the pic above). next time, include the XRL650 to get us all excited.
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  16. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Joel, yes - still riding (although, like many of us, the pandemic took a big chunk out of my riding plans for 2020)

The Carrizo Plain trip was in the truck with my wife and our new rooftop tent. First overnight/camping trip for us in more than a year.

Here are some pics from my ride in the local Santa Cruz mountains last Friday. This XRL is actually a newer bike that I bought used in January 2020 and spent about a month setting up like my older XRL (right before the pandemic hit). Basically the same setup, but starting with 2,500 miles on the odo - instead of the 25K that was on the XRL that I sold.

20210430_120247.jpg 20210430_130804.jpg 20210430_143525.jpg 20210430_144604.jpg
    catfish, NSFW, Todd157k and 3 others like this.
  17. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    No pics.

I'm disappointed.
    BrockEvan and Zubb like this.
  18. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that. Tried again. Sometimes the BBcode gets messed up. They were up there and then - not... We'll see if it works now with updated URLs.
  19. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    No, those google links are not image links.
  20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    no bueno . . . would love to see them also.