California - The Adventure Republic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NSFW, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm inspired to put together a Lost Coast ADV route probably centered around Ursal rd. Will search ADV for stuff as there must be threads here on such. Anyone with input please chime in via this thread or PM.

I'm wondering about the old concerns of innocently wandering into certain Farming Areas that may or may not be legal crops. Anyone here from NorCal that can speak to this?
    JHof44 likes this.
  2. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I may or may not be able to do it this year but want to plan it. So far in 2021 I've had a week tour in Baja, 10 days in MT, am going end of the month for 10 days to Colorado, and then another week in Baja in October. At some point I need to quit my job and just ride!
    GringoRider likes this.
  3. JHof44

JHof44 AlteredAdjuster

Oddometer:
    Bummer about Prosper Ridge.

IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    catfish and Willsfree like this.
  4. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/lost-coast-ca-usal-road.1498109/unread
    Zubb likes this.
  5. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
  6. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, Have BTs tracks, been reading southern Humbolt thread for a while. Will hit OR in a day or two then will see if warmer (east) direction, needed.

Thx all
    Mike B
    JHof44 likes this.
  8. Zubb

Oddometer:
    319 pages !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    N-Id-Jim, catfish and Skootz Kabootz like this.
  9. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a wild hair on Saturday morning and decided to leave at 5:30pm for an evening ride to beat the heat and camp somewhere up high overnight then ride home in the morning. I'm not much of a stop and take pictures guy so let let your imagination run wild. Left home and rode over Hwy 150 into Ojai then up the 33 towards Cuyama. Lovely warm, but not too hot, evening with little traffic on the road. Took the right onto Quatal Cyn on the dirt and checked my straps on my luggage one more time. I had strapped a brand new heavy duty tube to the top of the duffel and I wanted to make sure is was still behaving. Looked fine.

Got a little roudy going up and went whizzing by this guy stretched across the road. By the time I looped around he was in no mood to see me.

Just I got to the top of Quatal I was standing up going about 20 and the bike completely stops and I nearly handstand over the bars. Motor is still running so it didn't seize, check the brake rotors to see if the pads had somehow seized. The I get a faint whiff off burnt rubber. Lay the bike over and the damn inner tube is completely wrapped about the chain guide and guard and rear sprocket. There is burnt nylon strapped and rubber all over. Fack. Its getting pretty late and I still have to find a place before dark ideally.

I then proceeded to cut, pry, and plier the damn thing for about a half hour. It has melted itself into pockets and was now hardening. Sorry for no pics but I was in a hurry. I finally was able to get enough out and force the bike backwards to spit the rest out. In hindsight the tube just rotated around in front of the exhaust and essentially melted both the tube and strap until it dropped onto the chain. Mind boggling stupidity on my part and damn lucky it didn't let go on the pavement in the wrong spot. Lesson learned until the next lesson needs learning.

Got up into the San Emigdio mountains and checked Marian campground. A single couple there and I thought I would leave them alone. Went east and found this cherry spot with about a 1500 foot drop ten feet out the tent. Note to self, pay attention when peeing during the night. Spectacular views of the central valley and the Tejon Ranch with night sleeping conditions. Never saw another soul. In the morning the sky was overcast and looked like rain. Gorgeous weather. Went into Pine Mountain Club for a coffee and pastry then back up into the dirt in the Tecuya's. Again didn't see a soul. Then it was off for fuel in Frazier Park and out the Lockwood Valley road to Grade Valley Road. Saw one Jeep there and rode in some lovely rain that was just enough to wake up the sage smells and dampen the dust. Very pleasant temps as well. Back onto the Lockwood and onto the 33 back to home for a trip to the beach for some body surfing and power napping. 230 miles all told and 23,000 feet of climbing.

Attached Files:

JHof44, NSFW, mr.b and 6 others like this.
  10. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    wasn't a bad day after all, i meant night. you could have fallen off the cliff or stepped on the rattler...which is worse?
  11. Doc Sarvis

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes. Two guys are riding and stop to take a leak. One guy hangs far lower than the other and gets bitten by a rattler. He screams at the other guy to ride into town to get a Doc. A while later the rider comes back and tells the other guy, with now three holes in his Johnson, that he has good news and bad news. Okay give me the good news first... "Doc says that I can suck the poison out and you'll live" That's great! what's the bad news? "I say you gonna die"
    NSFW likes this.
  12. JHof44

JHof44 AlteredAdjuster

Oddometer:
    Great write up. How do you like the Tusk saddlebags? Thinking ally grabbing some for overnights on the 701.
  13. Doc Sarvis

Oddometer:
    I have some Mosko Reckless 80's that I used on my 1190. While they fit on the 701, they allow you to carry to much stuff are pretty heavy just by themselves. I personally think 60 litres is the sweet spot and the Tusks are about 52. I kind of make up the difference with GL Pannier Pockets which really fit great and are easy to access. So for overnights I have found these to be about perfect. They do have a few design flaws. Its hard to fill the dry bags and get them into the holsters when loaded. They made the top ring of the holster a touch small. As far as fit, they work great on the 701. I have a Perun rack and that helps a bunch with the rear straps. No exhaust shield necessary (Wings or Arrow exhaust) and the quality is pretty damn good. For $275 it was a no brainer for me.
  14. JHof44

JHof44 AlteredAdjuster

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the feedback, I think those are just what I’m looking for. Especially at that price point!
  15. smogged.out

smogged.out Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice little ride on Thursday up to and around Rowher with Eugene on his T7 and Mark on his XR650R. @dzrtracin, did you see me doing a wheelie past your place? Was warm but not too bad. We grabbed some tri-tip sandos at Rock Inn and then slabbed it home. Hope more can join next time.

Attached Files:

16. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    that T7 looks great, does your buddy have a build history for that bike?
  17. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We don't have no stinkin drought.. we like that continuous shade of brown.

20210725_123002[1].jpg
    Davethestick and duhrider like this.
  18. smogged.out

smogged.out Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i’m sure he does. i know he got it new but he’s not on advrider yet.
  19. ntsqd

ntsqd I get a title?

Oddometer:
    Overlooking Cuyama Valley? Green spot looks like the area between the Camp Schiedeck (sp?) road and CA33 on Lockwood.
    Purty bike!
  20. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just retd from a 3 week trip that took me thru Usal Rd, as well as Kings Peak/Ridge, don't forget Mattole Rd. This area is so great that I went thru twice, north & southbound. On both legs camped at both Mattole Beach CampGround, and Usal Beach CG. No issues with growers, lots of fences, some "sticky smells" as you pass some greenhouses. As others have suggested, exploring down private roads in this area not a good idea. Worst danger was from a few locals that drove Usal like a race track, (New 4X4 Pickups), I ran my amber fogs at full strength, after 2x closer then I liked.
    Mattole, Usal & Kings Ridge Roads and Camping, highly rated in my book...
    Honeydew to Ferndale on Mattole Rd. is a gem that I would ride daily if I lived nearby. in the middle, the turnoff to Mattole Bch CG is Lighthouse Rd. right at the bridge over Mattole Ck.

Working on my RR now, but feel free to ask. BTW Usal CG a bit of a zoo on weekends, get to Mattole CG by mid-day for first-come site.

Mike B

20210711_134302.jpg 20210708_082615.jpg
    JHof44, catfish, Zubb and 1 other person like this.