California - The Adventure Republic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NSFW, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Afrodog

Afrodog Bosbefok. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's another ride report I wrote but never posted. Similar theme methinks.

An unusual thread, following the adventure of a long lost nephew,
    A new bike with unexplained maladies, the dry and hot desert
    and finally culminating in some almost mystical revelations on man and machine.

First, Addy Love, the Nephew. 10 years my younger, living the dream in New York City as an industrial designer, musician and generally regarded as a hard working, hard livin layabout with a smart mouth and some great ideas to boot. Charming as they come.
    He flew in to decompress from being witness to his sisters long and painful c-section.She ended up with a bouncy baby, He flew in for R&R.
    Addy had recently acquired a DR650 to doodle the hills of his upstate cabin and there became afflicted with motorcycle fever.
    Of course, first words out of him at the airport,”Never done any real touring, Let’s take the bikes and find the desert Jakes.”

Music to my overworked, underpaid and these days downtrodden ears.

The Bikes now, Two of them,

Addy’s riding my 2000 VFR 800, Yellow, Sorted, reliable and deeply loved by yours truly prior to my completely
    incomprehensible Futura purchase. Still deeply loved.

My Bike, the 2001 Futura. Silver. Lovely.
    Bought for a song after sitting in a field for 2 years.
    The previous owner, a harley guy had inherited the steed and a basket containing all the pieces required for a resurrection,New Tires, Hot shot Rectifiers, Quick connects and the like.
    With no interest and direction, he was happy to swap it out for a new Vegimix juicer for his better half.

New battery, Long distance Clutch seals, a new 05 Map and some plumbing from a resident expert and Bob’s your uncle, ready to fly!

Well almost.

Cut to Friday afternoon, the eve of our great adventure. Riding back from a biz meeting, suddenly no controls to be seen. Nada. Bike behaves perfectly but control panel staring blankly back at me. Quick shout out to the wise and crafty ones and a possible solution emerges. Yes, a frayed wire is found and fixed. New fuse inserted and blinky comes back to life. Perfecto.

The problem re-emerges 10 Miles into our trek, right over the altamont pass where the escape velocity is too great for any possible return. On we go. no controls, no lights, no indicators. Nada. Addy rides behind me, acting as my brake light in his yellow spaceship.

High on 91 octane, Into the valley we ride. Highway 5 cuts like a meat cleaver through the vegetable basket of America, Hot, 105 Degrees in the shade. Mexican market at the side of the road, a fistful of marinated bbq steak, some corn a mango and a small 5th of Jamesons should see us through wethinks.

Off the highway and into the desert, we come to Mercy hot springs, Middle of nowhere, stretched out along a dry riverbed.
    we check in with the Polish overlords, settle in a grove of trees and pitch camp. A quick dip in the pool, and we’re right as rain. The full moon emerges and we soak in a cloud of sulfurous steam. Bats fly around while the desert night stretches out before us. A meteor shower comes and goes. As does the Jamesons . finally peaceful sleep under the stars.

Sunday morning and another Addy proclamation, “Jakes, we gotta swim in the ocean before I fly back east, we gotta!”

Packing up and off we go. 100 miles of deserted road through hardscrabble twists and turns, no cars. from potholes at the edge of counties to perfectly cambered pork barrel roads we fly. Addy, Jakes, the two bikes one set of controls and a remaining bottle of Red Stripe.

like wisdom passed from another desert mountain I realized that riding this machine without controls was one of the most liberating thing I had ever done, no rev counter to tell me that I was stretching things thin, No speedo to inform me of my need for limits, never looking down to see where or who I was, Just straight ahead with only my inner voice to guide me. I meditated over the hills and through the corners free as a bird. I felt light,

I felt Free.

The Salt water of the ocean washed the dust away and Santa Cruz, the tourist RV’s and the Arterial clogs of pleasure seekers stood before us. Never fear, a quick turn into the mountains and the skyline pass, Alice’s restaurant and the cool redwood forests of the coast followed us back over the bay and safely home.

Another weekend, lessons learned and a Short circuit to find and fix.
  2. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, that was fun!
  3. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    @Afrodog - If you learn to ride in the dirt like you write, you will really love it. Head in a direction, stay loose, let things flow beneath you, be creative, hit some points of interest along the way, enjoy the ride and see where you end up.
  4. Zubb

Oddometer:
    ^^^ and take a class. Big bikes are different than the skinny stuff we grew up on.
    Afrodog likes this.
  5. Afrodog

Oddometer:
    Yes, probably a great idea.
    Ignorance is certainly very blissful,
    A little knowledge mighty dangerous!
  6. Heizer 30

Heizer 30 n00b

Oddometer:
  7. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Yes! Come down and take a class and we’ll at least be dangerous as a group.
  8. Afrodog

Oddometer:
    Pray tell more..........
    I copudnt find anything here in the Bay Area that isn't booked for months.
  9. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Yeh I just saw our Oct Borrego and AZ classes are sold out.
    if you can hang loose, we sometimes have cancellations.
    It’s likely we will have a November Lvl 1 and 2 once dates are established.
  10. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

Loved reading the post about your Lost Coast ride. I also had a solo adventure up there in my early off road days. It didn't kill me so I guess it made me stronger.
    Afrodog and Foot dragger like this.
  11. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:

a riding lesson, hang out with good riders and more saddle time will build up your confidence.

if you happen to find your way near Los Angeles, give me a holler.

cheers.
    Afrodog and Foot dragger like this.
  12. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ive been riding dirt,and racing dirt,since about 1971. Started racing as a little kid.
    Been riding a DR650 since 08 a lot,over 50,000 miles on it and still have it,it works great.

But,somehow an 890-R showed up here a week ago,and it is one cool bike. 95 HP or so dirtbike/ADV bike.
    It will take some settup and getting used to but what a fun bike. Ive got 800 miles on it so far in the first week.

Only KTM would build a bike like this,in Rally mode it just flat rips. DSCF5743.JPG DSCF5753.JPG DSCF5757.JPG DSCF5758.JPG
    Bigger Al, eaglescan, Afrodog and 8 others like this.
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:

damn nice....:clap

congrats!
    Foot dragger likes this.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i like it in black, belongs to another inmate. mine is the yellow one behind.
    [​IMG]
    Foot dragger and HandCanonShootr like this.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I would not have minded a black option. I mean,I like orange. But I also dont like to draw attention on the street.
    A cop looks up and sees something bright , they are drawn to it like a moth to a flame. I can calm the colors down some though.
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    the Norden 901 should be more stealthy i think...resist, must resist...damn it..pls. take my deposit.....:lol2:lol2

from google image
    [​IMG]
  17. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm there is an empty space in my garage where the Super Enduro used to live and I like this a lot more than the 790/890
    Foot dragger and NSFW like this.
  18. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Advent-ia before dementia Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys opting for the climbing rope version? I'm sure Mosko is working on a bag for it that is already out of stock.
    Foot dragger and NSFW like this.
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    the waiting game begins and i'm in love...:raabia

i'll have mine in yellow.

:augie
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Its about the same bike underneath. Frame/engine/etc,shorter suspension I think?
    Like most differences between Husky's and KTM's its the cosmetics that are the big deal. I looked at bikes for awhile,and figured out most were disappearing from dealer floors and not coming back,for a good while. This supply line thing is evidently not going away.

The Husky somehow looks heavier,more massive. Probably just looks that way. Probably 20K will get one,in a while.