California - The Adventure Republic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NSFW, Jul 24, 2012.

1. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    probably we won't see the Norden until mid-2023. it's possible there will be other interesting makes and models in the market by then.

good call on the 890.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I was at the local Husky/Honda/Beta/Polaris/etc shop. They figured a new 501 Husky would run me just over 15K. otd.
    But they had nothing on floor and no idea when something interesting might come in. They had the same African Queen Honda ADV bike sitting there.

The 890 is a laugh a minute,literally. I was launching it off some smaller waterbars the other day,it only wanted to go faster.
    It wheelies at drop of hat,shoots big roostertails out in Rally mode. Absolutely rips on tight bumpy paved backroads,very flickable,engine can run at 4K and still be going pretty fast. Makes me laugh.
    Bullseye, Honda-50 and NSFW like this.
  3. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    A cheap and ugly DR650 can ease the passage back into dirt.
    Ive hammered one for 50,000 miles and havent been kilt yet.
    EMFL and Afrodog like this.
  4. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add the 790 kit and you have a mid 50 hp dual sport, that weighs only 360 lbs. mine was $1900, add the 790 for $700 and I have $2600 in it besides other extras
    Foot dragger likes this.
  5. condor-machinist

condor-machinist el dirt hombre Supporter

Oddometer:
    That thing is still running?:D
  6. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's hard to break a hammer, that's the beauty of a DR, you never hear about the engine breaking, maybe the trans but not the engine
    Foot dragger likes this.
  7. Cabrito

Cabrito Looking for work Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dunno, it can be done. I broke mine the other day quite easily.
    [​IMG]
    Afrodog, EMFL and Honda-50 like this.
  8. ntsqd

ntsqd I get a title?

Oddometer:
    Despite the claw those really aren't intended for pulling nails. Jest saying.... is all.
    Cabrito likes this.
  9. SlowerThanYou

SlowerThanYou Humblebrag Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not very many wood parts on a DR....
    EMFL and Cabrito like this.
  10. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    You didn't break the hammer, you broke the handle
    Foot dragger and Cabrito like this.
  11. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired

Oddometer:
    So, a friend and I took a short trip through the hills and valleys into closer to the center of California at Parkfield. Some great roads, yes tarmac. But, nasty bits of tarmac too as in Bitterwater road. And Vineyard Canyon which is nicer pave', but not big and wide.

We were thinking there might be a fun ride for a few like-minded large adventure bike riders to meet at theV6 Ranch and Parkfield Lodge and wander around the area for a few days.

https://www.v6ranch.com

Reports:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-short-ride-with-a-friend-on-9x0-adventures.1519654/

Paul's report is much better:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/of-broken-roads-and-hidden-fault-lines-in-central-california.1520114/

20 miles or so from Paso Robles, means easy access to groceries as the Cafe is only open Thursday thru Sunday. There is a large enough charcoal grill, pool and hot tub.

Thoughts?
    Foot dragger and DesertSurfer like this.
  12. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired

Oddometer:
    Oh, and I have a set of YKC80 Tubeless tires that are worn that can go away. Free to anybody who wants to drop by and pick them up. I used them for a five week trip in 2018.

9X0 sized tires.

I'm in San Clemente, CA 92672.

Free.

DDB2F737-06C5-4FA5-BE2A-3E3D2B890E10.jpeg E9585B59-08A1-4AE6-BF8C-BB04E1B979E1.jpeg 53BF0F7F-9582-45C2-9278-704AC4AE692F.jpeg 95E3C6C3-E4B9-4275-BE0C-F95FB5BC80E3.jpeg F7765D04-DF64-471D-8549-CD414698404E.jpeg 0D5BF11B-D9E0-496C-909F-C419873D9C5F.jpeg
    Foot dragger likes this.
  13. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Some old college teammates wanted to get together for dinner last Friday so decided to jump on the 1290 and head to Sacramento ... turned it into a nice 1,534 mile loop over the weekend.

[​IMG]

Pretty amazing how much of the route I was utterly by myself. Didn't see another vehicle from Pine Mnt to the 33. Most of the 33 out to Coalinga was the same. Spent about 10 mins Sat morning trying to hang onto the wheel of kid on a Ducati going west on CA36 and decided it would be better to just enjoy the 158 miles to Fortuna. Again, a car or pick up every 15 or minutes or so but otherwise empty road. Finally started seeing some busy traffic on Avenue of the Giants. From Legget out to the coast on Hwy 1 passed a single RV and didn't see another vehicle until I got to the Lookout. Sunday had more travelers along Hwy 1 but still a pretty fast pace all the way to Stinson Beach and then a crawl out to the 101. Got to San Jose for late lunch with my daughter and a stop over for the night. Monday is time to bomb home ... other than slow downs south of Carmel, it was smooth sailing all the way back to Huntington Beach.

The big 1290 right at home on Avenue of the Giants
    [​IMG]

Sharing a few with the locals in Fort Bragg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Solitude of Pt. Arenas
    [​IMG]

A nice halo of sunshine breaking through on the gloomy coast line
    [​IMG]

This coffee shop in Big Sur may have the best hash browns I've ever had
    [​IMG]

Stopped by an inmates Beach House in Little Rincon but nobody home
    [​IMG]

When's the next one? :ricky
  14. OscarFox

OscarFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet Shades! Looks like they fit nice under the helmet
  15. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Oakley SUTRO ... very popular in the cycling world and fit perfect in my Shoei helmet.
    Foot dragger, ProLeisure and OscarFox like this.
  16. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Jenner, where the Russian River meets the ocean. Always a scenic view.
    Foot dragger, Mr Head and victor441 like this.
  17. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quite true, and definitely try kayaking out there someday if you get a chance, I do that regularly and will be back there tomorrow. FWW if you need to rent a kayak John from Lotus Kayaks will drop one at the boat ramp and pick it up later when you contact him, $25/ day IIRC and that is much less than the onsite vendor.
    (I have my own boats and have no connection to Lotus but a few friends have used him and it went well)

[​IMG]
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Was out on 36 for lunch at Mad River Burger Bar last Sat. First run on the 890R on 36 going west.
    Quick 275 miles out and back from Chico but what a fun ride. An 890R may be good in dirt,but holy jeeze does it work good on a tight and curvy paved road.
    TKC's may not be perfect on road but they dont slow me down much. So many back roads dirt/gravel/paved between Chico and the coast.

It would be hard for one person to find and ride them all.

Pics are from all over nor cal in the last month since 890 showed. 2200 miles so far. Who recognizes these photo-ops? DSCF5779.JPG DSCF5745.JPG DSCF5760.JPG DSCF5781.JPG DSCF5808.JPG DSCF5796.JPG DSCF5869.JPG DSCF5815.JPG
    staudio, duhrider, Bullseye and 7 others like this.
  19. Cabrito

Cabrito Looking for work Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want a Mad River burger and shake! Great shots, and killer bike!
    Foot dragger likes this.
  20. ntsqd

ntsqd I get a title?

Oddometer:
    One looks like the Sierra Buttes, but it doesn't sound like you ranged in that direction.