California - The Adventure Republic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NSFW, Jul 24, 2012.

1. bsham

bsham Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for setting up the Bluff Mesa weekend Joel. Had a great time!
  2. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up, Joel.

Glad you guys had a great time. :D
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thank you mike.

truth is for many...."taking pictures" takes away the fun in riding. the twist of the throttle is a sweet feeling, but later i find viewing the pics on the RR brings good memories and forever stored digitally. don't have much memory storage in my brain....:lol3

you're welcome brian.....you can be my wing man anytime.

thanks julie. next time come and join us.

we had a long hot summer and been wanting to ride. glad to do this one on the first opportunity of a nice weather.
    bsham likes this.
  4. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Route...?
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i posted them in the LA ADVenture ride days before the ride. still need some cleaning though.
  6. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Looks like it was a great weekend. I was away for work for this one, and will be away for vacation for the Pahrump rally... I'll make one of these eventually!
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    AllSeasonRider and typeamark like this.
  8. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Another amazing Mojave Rd trip this weekend. Great weather and great crew. Good thing we had a former Marine with us as day one involved a lot of ... IMPROVISE, ADAPT AND OVERCOME.

Pretty sure I have some great pics and will get to a ride report once I get all the cactus spines out of my hands. Nature is taking the Mojave Rd back in places.
    Little Bike likes this.
  9. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks fun for sure!
  10. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Mojave Road Trip

Got out for some fun last weekend in the Mojave Reserve.
    @ToddLite - KTM 500 exc
    @TwoWheelsGood - Husa 570
    New Guy - Tory - Honda XR650R
    me - KTM 500 exc

We met up at Peggy Sue's for breakfast and were rolling by about 8:45. Fast powerline road and straight into the Mojave River. Seemed to be lots of previous traffic as the tire tracks were pretty deep and kept the pace fast through Manix Wash. Not a lot of stopping and enjoying the view ... we were hauling ass.

Finally stopped to gather up at Afton Canyon. Me and Rich
    [​IMG]

Kept asking Rich why he was still riding the Husaberg and if he could still get parts. He had a simple answer;
    [​IMG]

The other half of our foursome; Todd and Tory
    [​IMG]

We blasted through Afton Canyon and for the first time in a long time, there was no water other than the crossing which had claimed a Blazer shortly after we did the "go around". Since we were planning to stop in Baker for gas, we blasted into the dunes.
    Tory
    [​IMG]

Todd Lite
    [​IMG]

Rich throwing a roost
    [​IMG]

Hey, they got a couple of me too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We made a pretty good mess of the little dune
    [​IMG]

In the middle of Soda Lake, Tory learns the secret message for visitors crossing the lake
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a quick stop in Baker, we got out on the Mojave Road trail proper. We were buzzing along with a pace to stop at the mailbox for a quick bite to eat and a beer. Right before we got there however, Tory calls out on the radio he's got a flat. We get everyone back together and get to work.
    [​IMG]

What Tory failed to tell us is that he has no idea when the last time the front wheel has come off his ancient XR. That's when I looked at his tire and realized we were lucky to have made it this far. It took some effort, but the XR front axle that was frozen in place, finally gave and we made quick work of the change. As an offering to the God of Flats, we left the beers and the tube so to avoid another issue on the XR.
    [​IMG]

Now behind schedule, we skip the mailbox stop and as we're about to head down the 5 mile whoop hell stretch, Rich calls out on the radio, "rear flat". Apparently the God of Flats doesn't care for Tecate either.
    [​IMG]

Up and running again, we make it up and over the Piute Range and down the rocky downhill ... Rich is flat again
    [​IMG]

Todd Lite and Tory don't seem too concerned
    [​IMG]

Ummm ... guys ... the sun is going down and we got a ways to go
    [​IMG]

Not too long after crossing I95, darkness came fast. I was out front with my Moto Minded portable sun lighting the way. We got to Harrah's without any more issues and we all showered up and hit the steakhouse. After the sketchy night ride with the stock KTM light, Todd Lite decided to hit the Black Jack tables and put in some work towards getting his own Moto Minded lighting system. Turns out he did better than planned and will be picking up some new goodies along with a new lighting system. He paid the price for the late night the next day though.

Bright and early we headed out of the hotel and straight to the bikes. Crap, Tory's front wheel is down to 6 psi and we are down to one tube between us. Quick stop at the Food Mart across the street and a can of Fix a Flat has us rolling again. Rich and Todd Lite are hauling ass and I stayed back with Tory whose front end is now very unstable. It wasn't long before the 20 year old front tire gave way on some loose sand stone. It was the first of several hard drops for Tory. He kept his spirits up though.
    [​IMG]

Since our beer offering didn't work out, Tory was forced to make a sizable donation to the Penny Can.
    [​IMG]

This seemed to work, we had good riding the rest of the day.
    [​IMG]

On the way back, we did stop at the Mail Box
    [​IMG]

Another stop in Baker to gas up the XR and the Husa, Todd Lite had had enough. Black Jack, booze and bed at 3 am finally catching up, he decided to slab back to Peggy Sue's. We rode down to Razor Rd and jumped back into the Mojave River and flew back to Afton Canyon. We found a whole crew working on the dead Blazer. We made quick work of Manix and were back at Peggy Sue's a little after 2:30.

Great 2 days of riding with a great crew. When's the next one :ricky
  11. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR Todd... and thanks for picking up the nails/cactus needles/glass/sharp rocks that were killing your tires. Now it will be clear sailing for the rest of us. :rofl
  12. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice, I bet T-Lite is loving the 500.
  13. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
  14. slogger

slogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great!! It's Mojave Trail time again!!
  15. ToddLite

ToddLite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love is an understatement Dan. I'd get it pregnant if I could. :viking
    NSFW, BenTravelin and Yellow Pig like this.
  16. ToddLite

ToddLite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In defense of my late night boozing and gambling it's important to note that you can't help but get swept up in the hard partying atmosphere of Harrahs Laughlin when you're playing blackjack adjacent to Kid Rock late (after his show that night in Laughlin). You know what this guy does at a blackjack table? He doubles down on Blackjacks... #merica #winnersneverquit #harrahslaughlinftw

[​IMG]
    rjnutt, bigtodd and Yellow Pig like this.
  17. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    After man handling a Super Enduro for so many year the 500 must feel like a BMX.

Cant wait till the next little bike trip, I'm in!
    ToddLite likes this.
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:
    you guys left your trash on the trail and visible that people can see.......:(:
    goldham likes this.
  19. gr8grins

gr8grins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you to the good crew in the Jeep that took time to pick up your trash. Good on them.
    goldham likes this.
  20. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Wiping some dust off this thread ...

For anyone who is a fan of the Back Country Discovery Routes, the latest version, CABDR South opened today. Will be riding it next week and will hopefully be putting several pics of another California Adventure here.

:ricky