California - The Adventure Republic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NSFW, Jul 24, 2012.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey Jon. you can borrow it, stop by or i can drop it off in La Crescenta. really a great read, and she did it well that it made me feel i was there in the early days.

Rudy, I don't see any smaller bike out there for me....think i hit the bottom of the barrel after bringing home a Monkee...hahaha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i can still make it to the top of the hill at newcombs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lots of fun and glam
    [​IMG]
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    @NSFW I've not seen one of those in the wild in ages. :thumb
    No room in my shed for even that. :lol3
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can make room. Dibs! :lol2 :y0!
  4. roaddog12

roaddog12 Wait,what? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very cool, had one as a kid
    Lots of great memories riding with my family and I really like the the tiny little tank bag ! makes me giggle for some reason
    NSFW likes this.
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    get rid of your gas bbq grill and put this in its place. you could even use the grill cover since it fits over perfectly.

:D
    yay.....nice bday gift to Grace.

was about to toss it away in the trash, then realized the Monkee needs a place to store her bananas.

agree, it's a lot of fun and i've ridden it over 100 miles in one day. there is so much cushion in that seat and perfect for my bottom half.

rode it on Mullholland Drive and the view of San Fernando Valley
    [​IMG]
    Norty01, sealsam and Mr Head like this.
  6. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha, the gas grill is in the back "garden" patio under where the birds poop. Hence the cover.
    That little Monkee is looking mighty stock. YOu're going to need to toss the Touratech catalog at it. :imaposer
    Bashplate, barkbusters, Dakar kit. :-)
  7. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Rolling out Friday for another CA Adventure ... stay tuned
    aanichols and AllSeasonRider like this.
  8. rruugger

rruugger formally rruugger

Oddometer:
    That thing is awesome Joel! Yah, I,m gonna stay with my lil' 625 and wear-out yet another Lc4, lots of memories on that machine. Giv' it a lil' luv rite now. Smaller bikes keep me in the dirt and off the pavement :wink: Been by your place couple times but didn't see your garage open. I didn't have a mask on so maybe you saw me coming and slam the door shut :D I'll text ya
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:

i'm home mostly, maybe taking a nap or getting groceries. never really left the house for longer periods.

text or call me. reading this book will bring back lots of good memories with your dad sailing to the channel islands.

IMG_2554.JPG
    Mr Head likes this.
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    due to Covid19, it has been over 9 weeks from the last ride. everyone is itching to get out but we have an order from the governor to shelter-in-place. we also have to cancel the 2020 noobs rally which put us deeper into depression and life on hold.

while home, i spent a lot of time cleaning the closet and getting (or trying) rid of gear and bike related items. i also did some farkling but a lot of effort was towards servicing my 2003 Honda XR400 with electric starter. basically i cleaned up the EX400 wiring harness and replaced the old oem connectors with the same ones using a kit from Vintage Connections. in addition, replaced the handlebar control, rewired the front section for easy service. installed a galfer ss front brake hydraulic line, relocated the battery and mounted an old pair of dot tires sitting in the garage.

the electrical part was hard since i don't have the correct wiring diagram other than using what's out there on the web.

after a day of test riding, i got confident this is a bullet-proof trail machine.

last Monday it rained hard and the following day should be good
    [​IMG]

the little known Little Tujunga, the baby brother of Big T and Angeles Crest. i consider ourselves lucky for being 15 minutes away from these fun roads.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a memorial along the road
    [​IMG]

stopped for lunch and good to see they let customers to walk in but take out
    [​IMG]

after over 2 months, a juicy DDB to fuel my appetite for find new riding areas
    [​IMG]

found this empty dirt road which i didn't even know exist. part of the Angeles National Forest and not far from the areas we normally ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i was a little careful riding solo since i noticed there's no one out here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

parallel to the road is a single-track
    [​IMG]

it was only about 14 miles before i got back to the pavement and across the street is the Bouquet crossing
    [​IMG]

nearby stream
    [​IMG]

rode over to San Francisquito and surprised to see 6N24 is open. this had been closed since the Power Plant Fire in 2009.
    [​IMG]

also known for us old-timers as Sito's Rock .....note the big rock on the right side of the picture
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A head clearing Adv ride along with an In-n-Out burger what could be better.
    Well, maybe a few more days of riding.
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    further down is this one which i believe is actually 5N16. i will find out next week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this according to Google Map will take you to Tapia Canyon Peak. i only did a portion since it will take me farther to the other direction.
    [​IMG]

turn around and to 7N02, one of my old favorite roads
    [​IMG]

on the way back, stopped in Green Valley
    [​IMG]
    flying.moto, Norty01, Cabrito and 6 others like this.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    the washed out and rutted dirt road on Spunky is looking good
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

if not bullet-proof, this old iron would be it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

keeping myself in isolation on this gorgeous day
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    took a break for one last selfie with bike and Bouquet Lake in the background
    [​IMG]

rode back on Little T....the funnest little road in LA
    [​IMG]

for how long gas prices will stay this low?
    [​IMG]

today's ride stat....and to my disappointment, only getting 25 mpg
    [​IMG]

it was a half-day ride with plenty of daylight left when i reached home. really lucky i managed to squeeze in a ride with no awkward moments. never to be taken for granted that we can ride anytime......ride while we can.
  16. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Joel, I gotta have you show me around a bit over there sometime. I got out last weekend, but would love to explore some stuff new to me.
    NSFW likes this.
  17. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @NSFW Great to see you back out on two wheels Joel :clap

-M
    NSFW and headstaller like this.
  18. rruugger

Oddometer:
    Well your not SIP at all :photogLook'n forward to rambl'n down them there familiar trails and roads again soon. Did SM trail off the crest last week. Sweet! very green :thumbup
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    fresh and cool mountain air is good for our health.

of course Mark, i will be happy to take you along with a few other PPs. many of these places i haven't ridden for at least 10 years. let's plan something.

M. i can't stand reading your ride reports so i have to take actions with my own hands.

i adhered to SIP for the last 9 weeks. just wanted to get a take-out lunch and by mistake, i took the long way home.

Jon, the last time we rode was many moons ago. Do you remember Lutarious, sadly he passed away about 2 years ago.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-13th-annual-ktm-adventure-rider-rally-ride-reports.1170005/
  20. rruugger

Oddometer:
    Sorry to here that. I did lose a close friend in a bike accident a year ago as-well. Been rid'n motorcycles forty-five years now and when it happens, I seem to always pull back a bit...then get back after it, but enough bout that. Lets do some trail rid'n :dic That week Dakota ride was epic. Luv'd look"n through them old pics. Thank Joel
    NSFW likes this.