California - The Adventure Republic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NSFW, Jul 24, 2012.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Thanks @ntsqd - that explains it better than I was envisioning. That wouldn't be too hard to work out a dirt route for nearly the whole thing.
    Chillis likes this.
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would be fast on a dirtbike!
  3. ntsqd

ntsqd I get a title?

Oddometer:
    Last year the Open Gate day was Aug 6. At 6:15 AM at Badwater on 19/08/06 it was 98° You just might be happy that it would be fast!
    Chillis and AllSeasonRider like this.
  4. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    You are correct. High clearance is needed for Silver Canyon and Wymann Creek roads.
    Chillis likes this.
  5. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    The Death Valley Germans died taking a Mini Van on that road. Had flats, got stuck in the sand and were not prepared in many ways. Only take high clearance vehicles that are setup for these types of roads. Light Dual Sport bikes are better than heavy Adventure Bikes on these roads and try to never ride alone as unexpected things can happen to even the most prepared riders.

Rode that road with some friends a few years ago and one rider on a KTM 625 had his front tire kick up a rock that sheared off an engine bolt and he lost all his engine oil. We had to tow him to Furnace Creek. Many of these remote roads can be very unforgiving and there is no cell phone reception on many of them. Carry a Spot.
    flying.moto and bykemike like this.
  6. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    That is a great idea but I would probably want to be on an (e) mountain bike at my age. Thanks for posting these pics as I've never been past the research station that is only open 1 day a year. How many miles is it from the locked gate to the summit? It is suppose to be an easy hike if you can handle the altitude.

I need to head up there again as it is one of my favorite destinations.
  7. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    To be fair, the Germans got stuck in a wash that hadn't been a marked road in a long time, but was still listed as such on a German version map that was out of date. Like almost any situation like theirs, it wasn't a single factor that caused their demise, but a series of unfortunate decisions that sealed their fate. Your advice is still worthwhile, though. Bring the right vehicle, and if you don't be fit enough and prepared enough to walk out.

I don't believe it's an easy hike, at least not according to my friend who's done it twice now. He's a far more accomplished hiker/trail runner/mountaineer than I am, though I've done some tough hikes - he says this one is harder than the hardest one I've done with him. It's over 15 miles round trip from the gate to the summit and back, and nearly 3,500 ft of vertical gain. It's considered the "easiest 14-er" in California, but it's still a 14-er.
    https://www.alltrails.com/explore/t...eak?mobileMap=false&ref=sidebar-view-full-map
  8. isaac004

isaac004 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll say that on a mountain bike it was still a lung buster, even though I was within a month of a CO MTB where I spent days at 9-12k feet. Great fun though!!!!
    NSFW, flying.moto and AllSeasonRider like this.
  9. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    You are right about the Germans. It is a sad story.

Wow. 15 mile round trip hike. Any 15 mile day hike would be tough for me and when you add in the elevation, probably not for me. But all the young bucks out there, or for those in shape, it would be a hike worth taking.

Over 25 years ago I drove a rental car to the top of Pikes Peak. I got out of the car at 10,000 ft and was fine and then drove to the summit. I felt fine until I opened the car door and stood up. Boy did I feel the elevation then. I walked slowly and was on the verge of altitude sickness and headed back down the hill after enjoying the views for a short time.

When riding my motorcycles to the White Mountain locked gate and walking around Patriot Grove, I felt fine with that altitude, close to 12,000 feet. I also felt fine riding up to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado which was over 12,000 ft. I guess that extra 2,000+ ft of elevation makes a difference.

Your pictures make me want to go back there.
    NSFW likes this.
  10. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    ME TOO.....:y0!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Closed this year.....:becca No gate day....:baldy
    Davethestick, Norty01, ntsqd and 4 others like this.
  11. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice pics there guys and thanks for sharing them.

the ride to the WMRS is also one of my favorites.

last 2 years it was " no open house" and i'm fine with that, but now "no open gate".

after 7 weeks, i'm back here in our beautiful state.
    IMG_7061.JPG

IMG_7457.JPG
  12. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome. A buddy and I were out there last year (2019) and rode up that way. Bristle Cone Pine Forest etc. Beautiful!

We visited that park / overlook in the first picture!

https://scfrank.smugmug.com/GoWestFavorites/i-MGcW7jz/A
    https://scfrank.smugmug.com/GoWestFavorites/i-X9zG2xt/A

Pardon the links. Evidently the way to link photos from smugmug has changed.

I now have a 690. Are those the Mosco 25 liter bags? I'm looking at soft luggage options and have the Vanasche Racks.
    NSFW and AllSeasonRider like this.
  13. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Yes, but they're the BMW branded Atacama versions. From what I can tell, they're essentially the 25L V1 Backcountrys with 2 side pockets on each bag instead of 1. I'm not sure I'd have chosen them myself, but they came with the bike when I bought it. After using them a few times, I don't have many complaints and, on paper, I think the Atacama versions might be the best ones because of those integraded pockets. The V2s seem fussy with them being detachable.

If they were stolen, I'd probably replace with a Reckless 80, but it'd be a tough decision these and the R80.
    scfrank likes this.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    lots of nice places you guys been to.
    AllSeasonRider and scfrank like this.
  15. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yes, we moved around a bit too soon. Next time we’ll stay in one place longer. I loved Bishop. Would like to stay there awhile.
  16. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    All the smoke in California and the heat is affecting our riding. There is smoke at the coast and all the up to 9,200 feet in the mountains. But that didn't stop me from riding to Vermillion Resort at Edison Lake, a stop over for those hiking the PCT. The road into Lake Edison is still horrible and I tried different suspension setting to dial things in. The smoke in the air makes for lousy pictures so I didn't take any. Edison water level is down but Shaver Lake and Huntington Lakes are full.
  17. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised you lasted 7 weeks, with 80% of the campgrounds closed and 80% unemployed looking for campsites, it's hard camping right now
    Honda-50 and Chillis like this.
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:
    haha....llittle getaway? that's an epic ride Mark. thanks for the nice pics. make me want to ride up there again. it has been many years been wanting to go back.

congrats Isaac on something i can only achieve in my dream. the thin air will just kill me.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    yes 7 weeks out of state and 1 week in CA. i pretty much gave up looking for a site along the coast, and ended up staying in cheap (lol) motels that are still $$.

lots of campgrounds are closed in CA, but in ID, MT, WA and OR, no issue finding one or i (we) just got lucky. if it's next to a lake or river or along the coast, they were pretty much booked in advance. able to book a site in WA but it cost an additional $10 for out-of-state resident and $8 for the booking fee. a dry site is about $32, and all add up, unless there are others to share the cost.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  20. Exfiredude

Exfiredude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_0927.jpg We're hosting another Hook N' Ladder enduro for the LAFD Widows and Orphans ride out in Cal City north of Edwards AFB. October 24th. Come on out and camp and support a great family event. Check out LAFRA.org for details.

Attached Files:

catfish, NSFW, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.