California - The Adventure Republic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NSFW, Jul 24, 2012.

1. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
  2. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    Heading south to Kelso

10CPROI201115-104707.JPG
    Snack break....and a cold beer
    20201115_110352.jpg
  3. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    From Kelso we headed South a bit further to the power line/gas pipeline road
    10CPROI201115-113031.JPG 10CPROI201115-121003.JPG
    BiggieFalls, Chillis and rjnutt like this.
  4. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    That dropped us off on Crucero road just North of Ludlow. We decided to have lunch there for the 2nd time.....no beer though... did you know Ludlow is a dry town?
    20201115_130830.jpg
  5. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    We are getting close to home now..... Or at least in more familiar territory. We decided to try the gas pipeline road East out of the Ludlow.
    10CPROI201115-132744.JPG 10CPROI201115-140531.JPG
    BiggieFalls, Chillis and rjnutt like this.
  6. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    We took the pipeline road to camp rock and headed South.
    10CPROI201115-161030.JPG

Attached Files:

7. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    One last break near Lucerne... 20201115_151833.jpg

Almost there.... the sun was getting low so it was time to wrap it up. I made it home by 5:00 .....500 miles for the weekend. 10CPROI201115-150131.JPG
  8. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    These pics are giving me an itchy finger...

Nice ride, guys.
    Bullseye and Chillis like this.
  9. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto that!
  10. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Nice ride Matt & Alan, looks like a nice alternative to the traditional Mojave Rd Trail to the Colorado River.
  11. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics guys - That sounds like a heck of a route.
    Bullseye and Chillis like this.
  12. SlowerThanYou

SlowerThanYou ADV-F Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannot "Like"! :lol3

I need some of this riding in my near future. :nod
    Chillis likes this.
  13. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was reading your report back to front and thinking that it's a wonder we didn't cross paths. Saturday and Sunday was a Skyler Howes fundraiser ride. The Moto Malle Fun Rally. Phelan to Pahrump to Tecopa - Day 1 (300 miles) and Tecopa back to Phelan - Day 2. I would love to do a ride report on it, but I took no pics... too many miles to cover, no time for pics. ...when you are slow, you gotta keep moving!
  14. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude Taylor how was it? Sounded like it was a blast!
    Chillis likes this.
  15. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was a marathon.
    Probably 20 to 25 riders total. The ride was pretty informal, but there was a sweep rider and a couple of chase vehicles that met us at a few checkpoints. We used Spot trackers and a group text message to report our locations and keep tabs on one another. The organizers hauled our camping gear to Tecopa Hot Springs so we could travel light.
    @palada and myself rode together all day, @yellowpig rode 'Race Pace' on Saturday. @palada and I were committed to trying to finish the entire route on Saturday, that meant we had to keep moving, so not many pics. Skyler gave us all a nice head start, and roosted by us around mid-morning. The tracks were pretty fast dirt roads and flowy trails.
    There was a little excitement as we headed out onto Rabbit Dry Lake after crossing the 18. None of us realized it was used as an RC airport. The RC guys were a little miffed that our little Rally cut across 'their' lake bed and were ready when Paul and I passed through... we were swarmed by a squadron of miniature F16s. We got in to Pahrump at sunset, not knowing what the route to Tecopa had in store for us, and not wanting to tackle anything challenging in the dark, we elected to take a more predictable dirt track into camp.
    We ended the day a mile or two shy of the 300 mile mark.
    The organizers cooked up some burgers and we sat around and peppered Skyler with questions about Dakar.

Tecopa Bivouac - Day 2
    1115200612.jpg

Day 2 started out with more challenging terrain. Through a rocky canyon/wash in the Kingston Range and ending up in Dumont Dunes. This is where I began to pay the price for bringing a 'big' bike (701).... but the dunes were a blast! We exited to the South along the old railroad bed where I bottomed out on a g-out and destroyed my tail-tidy. I found the plate in fast order and got moving again. The rest of the day was a blur... the route took us into Barstow, Helendale and back to Phelan.

If you haven't met Skyler, he's a super-nice guy and very talented rider. As a privateer, he needs all the support he can get. If Dakar goes according to plan in 2021, it's going to be logistically daunting and pricey. Please consider helping him out if you can.

Mason Klein was also along for the ride this past weekend. He will be a talent to keep your eyes on in the future. At only 17 years old, he made an incredibly strong showing at last year's Sonora Rally finishing several stages in 3rd place, right behind Ricky Brabec and Skyler.
  16. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    what else could be more satisfying than having fun riding and supporting a good cause.

great job Taylor and crew.
  17. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Bullseye likes this.
  18. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We followed Skyler into Ludlow just after 11am. He turned north on Crucero, we stopped for fuel and food. While having lunch at the cafe, a couple dozen bikes (some rally, some regular dual-sports) stopped for gas. Maybe we saw you :wave

https://www.skylerhowes.com/
    Would like to buy a couple SH shirts, but they seem to be all out of my size :bluduh

Leftovers from last night plus a couple spares donated by generous overlanders we met back at Rock Spring :beer

Kelso station was all closed up and ribboned off :cry

-M
    jonz and Bullseye like this.
  19. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good thread .....
    NSFW likes this.
  20. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    Well it’s about time you got more screen time since you’ve been writing great ride reports for years. The new Sena helmet cam makes it way easier.....I still don’t see how you do the one handed 5th gear standing up in sand shit......with a small camera stored in your pocket.:ricky