1. eNewsletter Sign Up

california to Maine with bike

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PrimlDriv, Oct 3, 2007.

1. PrimlDriv

PrimlDriv seldomseen in one place

Oddometer:
    hey folks I'm heading east to maine from the SF bay area.. i feel comfortable with my sierra transit in to nevada, but i have to cross the rockies at Salt lake City,,I am looking for the smoothest climb over the Rockies(I'm pulling a trailer with my KLR and all my possibles with a V6 toyota truck...shes a peach and has seen worse but i can't find any information as to the grade steepness"uphill (and any better routes) any routes except I-80....thank you in advance Steve
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    80 has one hill east of salt lake then it's flat again forever.
    don't worry about a thing.
    don't know if the sawatchs count as the rockies? more like an up the down bumb kinda mountain range.
  3. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Dude your toyota will be fine, just put it in low range and crawl up the hill if you have to. I had an 89 toyota p/u with a 22re in it and pulled a large 20ft trailer up over the mountains with ease. Those toyotas are geared low and torque, just take it slow and dont be afraid to pull off to the side of the road and switch the transmission into low range if you need it to get up the hills, otherwise keep her in third and reved :thumb

Dont expect to fly through the mountains at 55mph the whole way if you have a 4 cyl toyota, but it will make it :beer

BTW if you head north toward ogden on I-15 and then take I-84 through the mountains back over to I-80 it is way flatter. I-80 is very steep going through the pass out of salt lake city. I drove my toyota through there a whole bunch of times to go skiing at park city, I was in 3rd gear reved up and only going about 45mph the whole way up, with an empty truck. Its a steep long grade, I-84 would be a better choice if you have the time, it wouldnt be as hard on your truck. I-80 is still doable though, just put her in low and go slow.

Oh one more thing, the i-84 route will be a lot safer too if your traveling in a snow storm, I-80 can get very dangerous during a snow storm.
  4. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    Funny .... we might cross paths. I'm heading from Vermont to southern CA. If you see a guy on a white GS, wave... or adv salute.