1. eNewsletter Sign Up

California Transplant (Fresno)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by DrFabulous, Feb 29, 2020.

1. DrFabulous

DrFabulous Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey folks. New guy in town. Moved down from Idaho this last year to the Coarsegd area. Finally got around to getting the bike out. Done some small stuff up Beashore and Central Camp roads. Trying to find some dirt in this slab park! My poor tires are widdling away on pavement and it hurts my soul. This time of year I can only chase the snow line up those roads anyways.

I'm on a ADV950 and would love to meet up and ride or hear about some dirt roads to go check out. Early season Valley and Foothill riding as well as getting up into the mountains when the snow line lifts.

Thanks in advance guys!
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Did you mean Coarsegold by chance? Lots of great riding out of Oakhurst, so you're right there.

I've headed the other way, from California to Idaho. Before my wife and I decided where we wanted to settle, I spent a week in the Fresno area exploring the hills to see if it had enough good riding to the east, and it did, but we decided not to move there for other reasons.

I would suggest starting by trying to get to all of the lakes and reservoirs to the east that you can. Here's a description of my week doing that. https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503476 I was riding a KTM 990 Adv for that trip.
  3. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    My 990 is up on blocks right now but should be good to go in a week or two so I’ll expect a full tour of your new favorites later this spring.
  4. DrFabulous

Oddometer:
    Yes Coarsegold. Sorry. Fat thumbs. I should have also clarified that I am looking for dirt. Unfortunately I have tried most of the reservoirs around me and they all are paved roads. What's not paved and the few dirt roads I have been down out here( Central Camp,etc) is closed down till March 31 by USFS.

I have gone to Bass, Millerton, Shaver, Redinger, Kerckhoff Lakes, Beashore road off Bass Lake, Don Pedro reservoir. All paved.

To my North the Park, no dirt riding. To the East Ansell Adams and John Muir Wilderness. No riding. To the west. Boring Valley, but have found a few fun Ghost Towns. Paved. Have not been South yet.

I will he honest, if I am in the thick of California riding, then this blows. Everything is paved or closed. Welcome to Commifornia I guess.

There has to be some good riding around here because at Shaver yesterday there were tons of Jeeps and Yotas that were clearly not built for highway. They were all out and about. Unfortunately I was unable to catch up with anyone to ask were they were all riding. Maybe they were all riding slab too because of what I am encountering.

Thanks again.
  5. DrFabulous

Oddometer:
    I just got mine off the stand. New oil pressure sender, fork seal, and an oil change.

First time my bike saw the Dealer Doctor ever and I will never go back again. I have spent the last two days cleaning smoking oil off the engine and pipes, way to low of oil in my fork from what I asked for (120cc instead of 100), 2 broken tabs on my fairings, and half the bolts they touched need to be tightened back up, including the kick stand for some dumb reason. That was fun to discover.

Anyways. After being at the Dealership for 3 and a half weeks (I sent it to them because I didn't have time with the new job, doh!) I have now spent 2 days fixing what they were supposed to fix.

But I am ready Dino ! Get your sled off the stands and when the FS gets off their a$$ and opens the gates I will come to your side of the hill. This side blows.
    dino702 likes this.
  6. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Go to Google Maps and zoom in on Bass Lake. All of the smaller lines are dirt roads. They're all over the place in that area. Some of them might still be closed to protect the forest, or covered in snow, but they'll eventually open and you'll have a lot of choices.

I would recommend getting USFS maps of the area. For example, here's one for the area that I just mentioned east of Bass Lake: https://usfs-public.app.box.com/v/snf-mvum-sierra-vista-e It's a Motor Vehicle Use Map, but those also often include single-track trails. They're usually free from a Forest Service office.

Get a colored marker and keep track of which ones you've been on. That's what I do for the Idaho roads. There are lots of interesting dirt roads if you systematically find them and go ride them.
  7. DrFabulous

Oddometer:
    I have all of that. Thank you. All the gates are closed.

Need help finding dirt before March 31st. You can damn near get all the way to Shut Eye Peak because there is no snow if you dodge the gates and the tree cops. (so Im told, 8350ft)
  8. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe there is a fellow inmate on here Coarsegoldkid who may chime in. He is involved with the Stewards of the Sierra's as well, I believe.
    DrFabulous likes this.
  9. DrFabulous

Oddometer:
    That's what I am talking about man! Thanks, I will try and look him up.
  10. SuperDave23

SuperDave23 Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer:
    We've got a Central Valley thread where most group rides are posted. It's all the way back on page 3 currently.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/central-valley-dual-sport-rides-more-fun-good-times.249462/

Once the snow clears this area is a Marvelous area for dirt biking/dual sports.
    -Top of central camp road is Shuteye Peak Fire Lookout. ~8800 ft, awesome view. Fire road for the most part. Last 3-miles are a jeep trail but very doable on a 950.
    -Beashore Road to Mammoth Pool loop is 100-miles and super remote. All kinds of side trails you can take. Jones Store up at the summit of Beashore is open all summer and has pie/bbq
    -Cross the San Joaquin river near North Fork and go up the Highway 168 corridor. Tons of stuff up there.
    -Highway 180 Corridor also has some as well.
  11. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    When the Tioga Pass opens, head over to the eastern Sierras, Owens Valley and Death Valley, and you'll find tons of good dirt. And now that you live here, cut the commiefornia crap...
    skag and Rips Millar like this.
  12. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Also be sure to check out the trails around the Courtright Reservoir southeast of Dinkey Creek. If you're really feeling froggy, jump on the Dusy-Ershim, and some of the other jeep trails.
  13. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:

hurt your feelings?
  14. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    This is a ride thread. Not CSM.
    Rips Millar and el Pete like this.
  15. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Number 1 reason I'm thinking of leaving Calif.
    Ironically, I was in Boise in January. The locals there made it VERY attractive to relocate...very.

Since I've only been in California (I just started my 7th decade,) I didn't realize how many liberties I'd given up, until I went to Boise, and re-discovered freedom. It's taste is sweet.