Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone got any links to the spec's on :pyndJohnny Cambells old XR600 Baja bikes:tb
    I Have a Dream:jkam
  2. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    theres a pic of a purple booted bike not a couple of pages back...

looks like stainless headers, supertrapp with diffuser, and what I like the most a scotts stearing damper on top of the clamps...

I too have a dream! jajaja

keep us posted!
  3. HeadTrauma

HeadTrauma ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer:
    I don't know what they did inside of the engine, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was conservative. Then again, there was a heavily-built, big-displacement 600 built for Baja and I seem to recall reading that it had a tendency to pull the case apart between the crank and countershaft. Even cyclewizard's 720cc+ XRLs don't do that. :eek1
  4. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the thing i like most of the XR Baja bikes is that they still look like XR's which are always COOL, unlike there Dakar counter parts that are morphed into fairies oops i mean Fairings:rofl
    watching the odd you tube clip of JC on the XR6 head down arse up and pinned along the flats at 100mile is totally wicked. :evilwifes getting me this for Xmas http://www.truechampion.org/ :wings
  5. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    nice!
    a while back I was searching for as much info and footage of his xr600, his xr650r is much more common to find info on for obvious reasons...

there is one cool clip of campbell on an xr600,on youtube... he even waves to the chopper I think...

in this clip you can see him hit a berm at maybe 85mph, the back wheel kicks up, but then he manages to plop the front up when the back comes down and pull a wheelie over some bumps, all this ass in the air, head down like you say...

I whih I could do that, or even just to have the space to run at 100mph! jajaja

later
  6. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

C,

Hell if you pinned your XR for more than a moment you'd be in a neighboring country or the Pacific Ocean. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  7. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:

jajajajaja eggsactly!

I have been up to 85 on the beach though...Nice long beach rides...

"believing" I was Johny Campbell:D

anywhoo
  8. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Dreaming is more like it...
  9. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    and what's the diff? jajaja
  10. bigtrailie

bigtrailie Pursuing happiness

Oddometer:
    Well, my '97 has been getting harder and harder to start. It only gets ridden a handful of times each summer. Each riding weekend will begin with me kicking it a few dozen times to get it started. After that, it starts on the first or second kick throughout the rest of the weekend. Well now, I can turn the engine over using my hand, so the compression seems a bit low. I suspect bad piston rings (or possibly my cam chain has skipped). Either way, it's time to tear it apart and look inside. Can this be done with the engine sitting in the frame, or does it need to be pulled out of the bike? I figure the top motor mount comes off first, then the valve cover. Lets see what I find once I get inside.
  11. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    due to the design i dont think its possible to get ANYTHING off the top of the motor with it in the frame...just isnt clearnce...or atleast there wasnt on my 500
  12. HeadTrauma

HeadTrauma ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer:
    The top end of an XR600 will come out without pulling the whole engine. XR500s and XL600s have a different frame with less space above the head that does require at least unbolting the the engine.
  13. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Pull the carb and intake off, the traingle, then all 13 bolts I think it is for the valve cover. The hardest will be the 10mm hexhead in the center. I use a 1/4" drive 10mm socket with the Ujoint built in. I can't find a link just now. pull it up and back.

You'll also want to check the valve for leakage. Pull the head, turn it upside down and put some liquid in the bowl. see if it leaks into the passages below. I'm going with bent exhaust valve. odds?
  14. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
  15. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ That's how I've always done it. Put solvent into the ports and see if it leaks into the combustion chamber.
  16. JUDOKA

JUDOKA Learning To Live…Again

Oddometer:
    How the hell am I going broke on a Honda? I seriously have spent about $400 so far trying to get this XR600R to run right! I cannot find anyone who can fix it! It still pops and dies while idling! I keep hearing it is too lean at idle...Then it leaves blook soot on the tail pipe after I run it down the road. WTF? Too lean...too rich... Anyone want to help me get this damned beast figured out please? I am in Phoenix AZ and I am broke now after geting this thing worked 3 times! 60/160 jetts, K&N filter, White Brothers E series pipe, stock header. I really need this beast to work right
  17. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    what have you done?

low idle? autodecomp activating? and dying maybe...

to lean at idle go up one to 62

adjust mixture, get rid of the crap k and n filter...put a nice oiled foam filter.

You say it blows soot when you get a long run, well maybe your too rich on the main...at wot?....what does down the road mean? 1st gear or full throttle?

what year is your bike?
    what altitude?
    what temps?
    what mods?

stock is 152, 165 if you have an 88-90.

I had an stock 88 with a 160 main...took off the twin header setup and went to "stock" later years jetting with a uni filter and powercore 4...

went with a 62/152 stock combo and bike runs great.Im at 5000feet or so

Air leaks? carb boot? causing the dying at idle?

cheers
  18. kta

kta Riding Everything Everywhere

Oddometer:
    The cylinder and piston can be removed with the motor in the frame. It's a little tricky, but doable. I just did mine a few months ago. Low compression like yours. Lapped the valves, put in new rings, it's running like a champ again.
  19. DirtandBlood

DirtandBlood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike is set up similar to yours. Uni Filter and SuperTrapp. I am in Phoenix and Run 68/160 with the screw 1 3/4 out. My clip is on the bottom slot (Richest). Where exactly in Phoenix are you?
  20. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    what altitude is pheonix and what mods to the engine would require a 160 main and the needle at its richest setting?

seems way over board...whats your mileage?

I imagine porting, bigger comp piston, maybe a cam would necessitate this but damn!

cheers