1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    well...I think your autodecomp crap ON the cam(little clutch and springs) is giving you the shits...they act up and cause what you are saying...

cant help you much on the other issues..

later!

p.s. the crank case air you feel is normal, its actually flows both ways but you "feel" it only going out...have you checked to see if they are both open on each end? not plugged?
  2. HeadTrauma

HeadTrauma ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer:
    I think the auto decompresor was put there for liability reasons more than anything. My bike doesn't have one and, IMO, it's better that way.

What kind of work are you comfortable doing yourself besides oil changes? Pulling the spark plug? Adjusting valves? Dismantling the carb? Pulling a cam?

BTW, big puffs of air are supposed to come out of the case breather because the interior volume of the case changes a lot when the piston goes up and down. Oil mist can migrate out of it as well. That tendency increases at elevated RPM(like highway speeds) and as blowby gets worse from wear. Lots of blowby sometimes reveals itself as oil that quickly darkens and takes on the smell of exhaust.
  3. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    much better said than me...jajaja obviously!

I like to think my cam has less rotational mass and therefore is lighter than with the autodecomp crap, jajaja!

I too like the simpicity of it this way...

man Im a bit bored...

what else is there to talk about?

slow business today..jajaja
  4. DirtandBlood

DirtandBlood Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Owyhee

Owyhee Charged with decent exposure

Oddometer:
    If I can chime in with a for a second, one of the best mods I've done was to eliminate the "T" junction in the crankcase breather and replace it with a straight tube going up capped with a large crankcase breather designed for a smallblock V8. The crankcase breather is oiled cotton like a K&N so it's reusable.

I noticed in the summer with the stock system the oil would turn brown in two rides (~100 miles) from sucking so much dust. With the filter it keeps the oil that nice greenish color for the entire oil change.

The only downside is that the filter gets clogged with dust after every ride (in the summer) and it's a pain in the ass to clean (I use No-Toil). Mine is zip-tied to the frame at the tank/right side panel junction and easy to check for cleanliness and ability to pass air in and out. If for whatever reason it gets clogged up I can simply pull it off and run without it.

-Owyhee
  6. HeadTrauma

HeadTrauma ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer:
    That sounds very similar to what I have on my 600. :D I had actually thought about using a 650L oil separator even though I don't have problems with dirt intrusion or oil control.

Everyone should also make sure that the duckbill one-way valve under the engine is still there.
  7. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have deleted the stock breather and ran a tube from the case, thru the frame and drop it into the top of the airbox with a barbed elbow. Fitted small breather filter to that. Seems to do OK no oil in the air box and is mounted up high to stay clean and is higher than the carb so less likely to ingest water if swamped.
  8. Ghost_Mutant

Ghost_Mutant looking for bionics

Oddometer:
    I asked about the oil separator on the XL6 thread and I liked the answer about using the service cap in place of the duckbill valve. I would then route the breather hose from the separator up high with a filter.

I don't trust that duckbill, and a cap for draining any oil/crud that the separator collects sounded like a great idea. I have an XL6 separator in my spares box, but I couldn't figure out where to put it on my dual carb XR:cry I have my external reservoir where the XLs put that separator, and there isn't enough room left anywhere else that I could see to place it without making some mods.

But the plumbing on the XL6 with a filter on top is something I'd like to figure out one of these days.

When I bought my bike, I found a coffee filter wrapped around the open upper end of the vent hose. I discarded that:D. But many of the places like to ride are very dusty and I should do something different than the stock setup I have now.
  9. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    hmm Im missing my duckbill on the bottom...

whos got pics of these mods?

would a filter up top and loose on the bottom be ok?

thanks

just a question
    with the duckbill all the air would go out onto the top part of the breather right? is this how its supposed to be?
  10. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    Thats my Setup on my Dual Carb XL
    [​IMG]

Works fine , i just use a Honda Oilfilter on Top .
    But not for Dessert , I ride paved or Gravel Roads clean the Filter at every Oil change with Diesel and replace it if it gets to dirty
  11. Ghost_Mutant

Oddometer:

Yeah, with the duckbill on the drain/low side, the crankcase air should (mostly) flow in/out through the upper open hose which rests on top of the air box on my XR. If its open on the bottom, it might suck up more dirty air, or worse, water from a wet crossing.

I was able to buy a replacement aftermarket duckbill. I can't seem to find the source right this second, but it was a generic replacement part.

I'm still thinking about where to put the XL oil separator and perhaps there will be enough room in the air box after I move my regulator and battery somewhere else. I was planning on doing that anyway plus opening up the top of the air box for more flow.
  12. Owyhee

Owyhee Charged with decent exposure

Oddometer:
    Do you have a pair of flatslides on that dual carb XL?

-Owyhee
  13. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    Its not possible to see on this pic, but yes that are 2 TM34 Pumpercarbs.
    see below.
    [​IMG]
  14. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW! That's sweet! What's the story on these carbs?! Did you set these up yourself? What's the performance like? Did you have to modify your frame at all?
  15. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:

I try anser from the back .
    No , it fits with the XL Frame , the XR Frame i don’t try .

Performence is top ,never stall or pop out, lot of torque from low rpm , run easy over 8000 rpm without any hole in the Powercurve .New Stock Clutch slip up to 5te gear
    But the Engine has a 104 mm Piston ,Sport Camshaft , 9,2/1 compression
    Totally rebuild Airbox for more Air , Powerheader , selfmade Pipes and a Supertrap Muffler and a programmable CDI . So its not only the Carbs .

I do all mods by myself , Carbs are Mikuni TM34-B70 .
    On the Carbs i must make a lot of mods to make the XL Engine fit . Inc. A Mod on the head as the Mikuni
    are a little bit longer and they will otherwise not fit between Head and Airboots.

The Mikuni needs to be seperated as the 2 Slides are connect to one strait rod and the left goes to the right side . On the XL they must be sit at 30° that require a complicated Link .
    I make the Carbs a little bit shorter and the Air Inlet Side needs to made smaller to fit the XL Airboots .
    Primary Carb is now on the right side . New Link i build by myself . Lots of small mods.
    Carbs open like the Original Keihin .
    Primary first nearly half then Secondary . Pumper Nozzle and Slowjet on the Secondary Carb are set dead . Finetuning i dit with a Lamda Probe .
    Engine is running at Lamda 0,85-0,9 ,that seems to be perfect .
    Start cold with Coke and warm or hot without on the first kick .

The Change from Keihin to Mikuni was nesessary depend the Keihin i had seemed not be resistend enough against the E 10 Gas we have here in Thailand .
  16. Ghost_Mutant

Oddometer:

What did the E10 gas do to the Keihins?:ear I'm guessing it dissolves the bowl gasket and ruins the seal for the float?

That is a 'harry potter wicked' mod to get those Mikuni carbs on the XL with the progressive linkage. Nice:clap. I've always wondered if it would be possible to add an accel pump to the original/primary Keihin for the dual carb setup.
  17. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are the man, Klaus! Awesome job! :bow :clap
  18. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
  19. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    The alloy startet to oxidise if the floatbowl try out when the Bike was standing for some weeks . This Oxide Powder gets washed in to the Jets and block everthing up if i open the Gas tap after a few weeks . After 5-6 Time cleaning the Carbs with Ultrasonic and Wirebrushs i had enough and depends the Floatboal Wallthicknes gets thinner and thinner i change the Carbs.
  20. adventurer

adventurer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gday Guys
    Im about to purchase a 660 kit for the xr, can someone tell me what size main and pilot jets to best run this setup.
    Im already running a Unifilter and Super Trapp exhaust and Sutton oil cooler
    With the engine rebuilt with the larger capicity piston and slightly higher compression if its kept well serviced what sort of klms, longevity should i be able to get out of this being used for road/ offroad
    Thanks for your help,

Graeme