1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Desert Silver

Desert Silver Desert Rat

Oddometer:
  2. Desert Silver

Desert Silver Desert Rat

Oddometer:
  3. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    Already given it a once over and started riding it yet?
    We've had ridiculous rain here. I took mine around the block in between storms yesterday. Nothing crazy. Just got it up to 30mph or so to get the stale gas out. Couldnt resist as I look at it everyday.
  4. OzAnt

OzAnt Still searching

Oddometer:
    With the cam chain you should be able to set it back over the bottom sprocket by letting it hang a little and jiggle it until you feel it engage with the sprocket, the guides will help to locate it. Use a light to look down and check the fitment.
    On the cam chain guides, check them for wear as they are made of two materials, a low friction viton top for the chain to run on and a nylon backing support onto a metal back bone. If the low friction surface is worn through the chain will then start chewing at the nylon support material, if it is doing this there is a chance that the nylon shavings will clog the in frame oil screen in the bottom of the oil tank, pull the screen at the next service and check if it has black nylon particles in it, if it has you need to change your cam chain guides.

Yes you need to put a new cylinder head gasket on as they are single use with compression seal forms on the gasket.

On the tensioner tool I have used wire to hold the tensioner back and then cut it as a way of setting the tensioner back in the engine, can be a little difficult to get it right.
  5. TheFlyingWombat

TheFlyingWombat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I test rode it when I went to look at it, ran it through all the gears, got on the brakes. Have started it and putted around the yard after cleaning it, sounds great. Engine seems strong but will need a good service and you never know what gremlins you'll find on a 27 year old bike! Suspension was set soft but seemed to work well.
    Has anyone put together a list of key things to check/do beyond the obvious? I recall countershaft splines, choke plate, etc. Will rebuild the carb with fresh seals and stuff. Needs a new seat cover, might rebuild the forks at some point.
  6. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    I had mine rebuilt, sprung, and revalved and the guy said the oil was so bad he couldn’t get it off his hands or some crap like that.
    Ive upgraded and replaced most things that can possibly leave me on the side of the road. Yes choke plate, new braided stainless steel lines, rebuilt brake cylinders, and pads....
    Ive owned mine for four years and never had a problem until last year. Bad stator (very low out of spec) AND bad CDI unit. Problems teamed up on me. Bike all of a suffen was very hard to start. Replaced stator. Fired second kick EVERYTIME. .. for about two days. Then the problem of impossible starting came back. Threw in a new CDI and that fixed the problem.
  7. rogervize

rogervize Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes ..but need your details and $cost
  8. ClanArmstrong

ClanArmstrong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello fellow XR lovers and Guru's
    I've got a few questions about break-in after a top-end re-fresh. I've got 150ish miles on the build and I'm wondering if I need to re-torque the head and check the valve clearances? It's running great I'm just a little nervous because I had some evidence of air leaks from the last time I took the head off which I think caused it to run hot and thus consequently drop the valve seats. Thanks in advance!
  9. Andreja

Andreja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi peeps, just dropped by to ask if there's anyone with extra spare parts for the 1994.? I need shift spindle, 4th gear pair and countershaft. I'm located in Serbia and paying about 400 euros for new parts from Honda is little bit silly.
  10. Research Rat

Research Rat thrasher

Oddometer:
    Hi. New poster here.
    I picked up a very well maintained 1986 xr600r and am debating on restoring. I know oem parts are increasingly difficult to find.

Is there a cross reference of xr650l parts that fit?

I’m looking for
    Exhaust header and canister
    Oem handguards
    Front brake line
    Front master cylinder

This list will likely grow as I get further into a more thorough deep clean.

10 or so years ago I was posting heavily on the xr650l forum when I owned one. I’m looking forward to getting back to wrenching on xr s again!

Scott
  11. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I'm parting one out in the flea market section.
  12. bonebuster

bonebuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, Broke my 1990 hrc forged piston and want another forged replacement. Been looking at JE pistons and Wiseco , so any opinions either way on these or other brands ?
    The Wiseco does state that it suits a Nikasil bore which i think i have so is there a different type of ring material needed for Nikasil ?
    Been talking on the Aussie Owners version of this site about the piston failure .
    Thanks, BB.
  13. Research Rat

Research Rat thrasher

Oddometer:
    Well, I’ve started my restoration project and I’ll get around to starting a thread on that.

Does anyone know the paint code for the black on the 1986 xr600r? I know the red is r119 as the sticker on the frame tells me so!

Scott

Attached Files:

14. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    An 86 with the gold looking crf front forks with either gold or black rims would look awesome
  15. Research Rat

Research Rat thrasher

Oddometer:
    Stock, the bike looks completely perfect in my eyes :)

My goal is to keep it as original as possible during the rehab.

The only things I have missing is the stock enduro computer and mounting brackets and the exhaust guard.

The rest of the bike is in in pretty good condition.

16. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usa 600's, I don't believe I have ever seen any coated cylinders unless someone had there's done, and they could not bore them if so. I am not sure about the rings but there maybe options for materials
    used on them, cast rings, chrome rings, ect.....
    I'm using JE, 98mm 9 to 1 comp.
    Have any pictures of said failure?
  17. bonebuster

bonebuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg '88 '89 and 1990 models were Nikasil coated bores and the hrc 628 kit i put in was 1990 so im unsure of what i have in terms of coatings.
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a magnet?
  19. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that how you tell?

Nikasil not magnetic ?
  20. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer: