1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. pretorian

pretorian XR Rookie

Oddometer:
    Quick question.

Use fork oil or ATF for front forks?
    If fork oil, use 10w or 15w ( heavier rider)
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    10w fork oil and heavier springs.
  3. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    For xr600r riders, here is another video in the “retro series” of rides salvaged from old video eight tapes. November of 1995. By this time, SDA rider scratch beatle has plated his 1988 xr600r. Wavey Davey is still years away from getting his 2000 xr600r. And my 1992 xr600r is 3 years old with many, many rides on her. Early morning departure, two trucks with bikes heading up to the single track trails in downieville. On the chimney rock trail, Jon shoots his gun.

Not for every one, this video does not show a tremendous amount of actual riding, go-pro type footage, or spectacular achievements.
    It does show the tom foolery of the loose knit group of riders aligning themselves with the seventh day adventurists. (dirt riders)

Ride number fourty thousand, three hundred and ninety...
    Really??
    ehbt and thelastfoiter like this.
  4. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    jeez that's heavy. I had mine revalved with .42 springs and 5wt oil and almost wish I went with a lighter spring in the front. Wrists were not happy after the 2 hour ride. I weigh 180+plus gear+bigger gas tank. The valving must be completely different. Never listen to the internet. If people want to pop spokes because they're running ridiculously high spring rates that's their business. You don't need really stiff springs if the valving is right. 7/10 will say I'm wrong with everything above, but this is my experience. Thank god i was talked out of .44 springs... by someone who built the 600r and 650r suspension on the bikes that actually raced baja. Not people on the internet.
  5. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    I'm stepping over here from the XRL forum... but I picked up a nice '99 XR600R last week and I'm trying to go through the wiring in order to put a Baja Designs d/s headlight on it that I had laying around. I also have various parts from previous Tusk/BD d/s kits, so will hopefully get it all together soon. I used to race a '94 model way, WAY back and still have the Honda shop manual, but it only goes up to '92. Has there been any significant changes in the wiring on the later models? This bike was set up by the PO as strictly a race bike and I'm not sure what wiring has been taken off of it.

Another question is, will it run lights adequately or do I need to invest in a rewind for my stator? I have a '09 WR450F with the OEM stator and the lights on it are OK, but no where near what my '07 XRL lights are.

Happy to be back on a 600!

Greg
  6. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    The books just say “after 1990”. So i suspect all the way to 2000 is the same wiring.
    I have 3 honda manuals, but the latest one is 88-97.
    After 90 it says.
    Just took off a stock stator from a 600 and put a ricky stator on. The stock unit will do it...
    But ya gotta have a little revs going to get a blink out of the signals. And the head light dims when they, or the brake are on.
    Of course, I had a very old battery that only held a small charge for 3 seconds!
  7. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    Thanks! My manual shows the wiring changed "after 1990" like yours. I'm waffling on either selling my XRL and sinking that money back into the XR and make a do-all bike out of it, or just keeping the XRL for what it is (road worthy commuter/gravel road bike) and keeping the XR as a trail bike that's barely street legal to ride in the National Forest near where I live.

I had an '04 XR250R that I put the Tusk D/S kit on and it did OK. I never rode it at night, so never depended on the lights to see the road/trail.

Greg
  8. T4EaterJonny

Oddometer:
    Silly question... I'd like to buy a dirt bike stand. What kind does everyone recommend? Obviously I don't need one with a pump/lift. Just one tall enough. Is the height thing a concern? I almost bought one at cycle gear the other day but was unsure if it was going to be tall enough. Any known crappy ones I should avoid?
  9. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

These are about 75 bucks.
    Can’t say what is going to fit your criteria but;

I was working on my buddies bike with a stand and it fell over while we were away from it.

These have tie down locations, which I do not usually use. I built a plywood platform to make it a little more friendly for my street bikes.

Adjustable heights.

Rolls around so if you do not finish the job, you can roll your bike off to the side till the next day.

Has wheel chaulks to lock it in place.

Sometimes you want your wheel barely off the ground and sometimes you want it up high.

If you’re looking for something to take with you to the staging area, you wont be hauling this thing around.

For me it was like, “why did I wait so long to get one of these?”
  10. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The owner of this frame filter said that he was hearing a noise, but that "the engine still runs fine."

[​IMG]
    thelastfoiter likes this.
  12. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rod thrust washer material
  13. T4EaterJonny

Oddometer:
    Bought some RC high bend bars, pillowtop grips, and a stand! Had 30 dollars off from revzilla that i forgot about. I cant wait until it gets here. I have a rear trackmaster that i need to throw on as well.
    I really want to switch out the levers too and totally update the whole cockpit but ill wait.... trying not to be too irresponsible lol
  14. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    I installed some LED lights on my XR. These are called "side shooter" because they cover a wide angle and are spot as well as flood lights.

[​IMG]

One single mounting bolt. Had to drill a hole through the aluminum part of the brush guards.

[​IMG]

Baja Designs head light with a halogen bulb. Looks ok from out front...
    But I have it adjusted pointing down as far as possible and the high beam still is up in the air above the roadbed.

[​IMG]

With the regular beam head light plus the LED's

[​IMG]

Looking down the road with the low beam on at night, you would think I have no lights at all!

[​IMG]

Switch on the LED's and now you can see!

[​IMG]

Might even be too much for oncoming drivers in the daytime!

[​IMG]
    cattltrkr, Squily and msteward like this.
  15. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So when do you plan on doing night rides?
  16. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great.:clap
  17. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Right! There are not a lot of night rides planned. But now There is no reason to fear a late arrival. Or worry about getting back before it turns dark.

The reality is that I would not have considered riding the xr if darkness was a factor. Now I look forward to it... at least in my dreams.
    KarimADV likes this.
  18. T4EaterJonny

Oddometer:
    Ive never been one to like to ride at night. Even if i could light up whats in front of me like a football stadium. I just associate night time with quiet time. I HATE hearing harleys or anything loud going WOT at 9oclock at night or later. I guess my 31 year old self is getting old hahaha.
  19. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    My bike is quiet. You probably would not know I rode down your street. So everything is ok...
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  20. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey anybody need a aluminum skid plate for a Honda xr600r or Honda XR650L? I've got one for sale in the flea market.