Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a crf150 front fender on mine, lots of people use 230's I think some trimming is required to clear the frame, 150's don't. You do have to shave the fender inserts down some though for the 150.
    crf450 on the rear on mine also, lots of cutting and fitting, + drilling mounting holes.
  2. sdom001

sdom001 BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    I will check it out. Do you have any pics of your set up?
  3. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazon has an assortment of offerings. Acerbis has a rear fender with tail light and still offer the 6 gallon tank as well. As others have indicated that adapting is possible. Look up other plastic companies like Maier and UFO as well.

https://www.amazon.com/MAIER-PANELS...locphy=200803&hvtargid=pla-637108454847&psc=1
  4. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ufo plastics for xr600r
    Front fender mounting area is thinner than stock. Rear tail light is single filiment and is garbage. Two holes in rear fender for xr650l tail light.

[​IMG]
  5. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Squily likes this.
  6. sdom001

sdom001 BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    ok I will check them all out thanks for the quick reply
  7. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fenders from the XR650L are available from Honda and are a bolt on fit to the 600.
    Rogue_Ryder and Jeff@TheQuadShop like this.
  8. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    sdom001 likes this.
  9. sdom001

sdom001 BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    msteward thank you, looks good. by chance do you have a side view pick go entire bike would like to see the rear fender from the side.
  10. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1053.JPG
    Since this picture I had to trim some extra off the inside and added a 1/2 spacer to that center bolt on the rear fender to point the rear up a bit more, as the 606 knobby on the rear tried to rip off my under fender tail light light I had on there.
    IMG_1075.JPG
    I don't have any of the current set up pictures of the rear but theres a rear rack now and the new light is mounted on the top of my fender, if can imagine the rear of the back fender is pointed up slightly higher than this picture.
  11. sdom001

sdom001 BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    I like that, looks good thanks
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    A question for the collective. To fit WP USD 43mm forks and triples from a 2005 ktm sxc to a '95 XR600R, what mods, if any, are required?
    Usng all ktm bits, front wheel, brakes etc, just need to bolt it in to the bike headstem basically.
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    :ear Anybody? :dunno
  14. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you do a write up on what was involved to get yours on there. I've only seen some conventional WP on a 600 myself, not sure what was involved but seems like I remember the steering stops where allen head bolts instead of the normal aluminum blocks.
    GodSilla likes this.
  15. rustyx

rustyx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have to find bearings that match the KTM stem to the xr headtube. Or machine a new stem that duplicates the xr stem while fitting into the ktm triples.
    GodSilla likes this.
  16. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    A few months back there was some one asking about a glitch in their r’s running. I think they said it would die at stop lights as well as some other symptoms. I have had a similar situation some times.
    Esentually, I would call it a “dead fire” every so often. Though easiest to witness when cold, I could sense it at fully warmed up too. Here in the city and in the high country. Generally all is good, just not rock steady. Seemed as if you could miss one fire once in a while. And this just could happen right when you grab for throttle as a light turns green.

Anyway;
    Having a 2000 xr600r donnor bike I figured I could try a few OEM parts swaps as the 2000 green sticker machine must surely have less miles than my plated 91r.

Changed the CDI and drove for a week. No change. Still a dead fire once in a while when out on the road.
    Changed the coil, plug boot assembly as one and it seems to have been the culprit.

Steady fire with out missing a beat.
    Next test was going to be swapping oem carburetors. Glad I did not have to clean up this dirty thing!

[​IMG]

So here it is running now. 91 with 2000 cdi and coil...

17. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds fine to me. I thought the electricals like those where pretty much the same through all them years. I could see a boot and coil cable breaking down giving you the miss, a carbon track in there some where possibly.
    I am wondering what kind of MPG everyone is getting these days. I'm not by any means going for the most power possible since I ride mine on single track and very little road, although I could if wanted with my plates. But since I replaced my camshaft and rockers, all stock honda parts, and jetting what some consider lean I am only getting around 26 MPG. Not hard starting no soot on pipe or fender and I live at 4500' and only ride up from here. My jetting is 150 main, 55 pilot, 2 1/2 turns on screw. Float level is good also. Stock air cleaner, no drilled side panels, only real mod is the header and pipe, 9:1 piston even. Its a 93 if that matters.
  18. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    On the dead fire. It was like the first indication you need to switch to reserve. A studder.
    And yes, the coil and wire/boot are the same for this discussion. However, the 91 cap says NGK on it, it’s hard plastic and it is twice as old. The 2000 boot is yellow rubber and quite pliable. As well, I assume it saw much less hours of use. Neither of them are jacked up. You can see on both where honda applies some type of “bond” where the wire comes out of a cap at either end. So they still had the factory seal on the wire.
    The coils look the same. I therorized that a stray spark could be jumping. Seems to have fixed it.

I have never been a whiz at figuring mpg...
    but I go 230 miles on a 5.8 gallon tank.
    About 39.5 miles per gallon? Mostly road use, very little single track.
    And on the trail with my other 600r and a sock tank I get approx 70 miles. 31.8 mpg?
  19. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd clean the carb thoroughly and put a decent air filter on it and maintain it regularly - the carb intake should look spotless both sides of the choke plate if you have a decent filter. Something wrong there IMHO .
  20. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    :imaposer You are missing something.
    That carburetor is off some other bike.
    But I know what you mean...