Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    I have a '99 XR600 that is making some knocking noises at various RPM's when hot...generally at steady cruise or under acceleration regardless of gear. I am presuming a crank or rod bearing issue. It doesn't appear OEM crankshafts are available anymore. Is there anyone making replacement crankshafts for the old XR or any companies rebuilding crankshafts or selling rebuilt ones these days?
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OE Honda crank is not sold or are replacement cranks available. I have Mike at Engine Dynamics install a Pro-X rod kit on the cranks that need a rod replaced.

There is a new rod inside this engine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    tuscan likes this.
  3. Thebusdweller

Thebusdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190731_162842.jpg The last crank Mike did for me came back with a Hot Rod on it. I called to complain but it did no good. I never finished the motor, it's still in pieces.
  4. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Send it my way. I’ll finish it for you.

Did you specify what rod you wanted?
  5. Thebusdweller

Oddometer:
    I can put it together, it's just I'd heard a lot of bad press about Hot Rods failing on the big end, I dont trust it. Then, nobody could say forsure if you could get away with pressing the crank apart twice. I'm leary the press fit might not hold the alignment the second time around. Mike did 3 cranks and top ends for me. It never was an issue of cutting costs, I dont have a clue why he put shit parts on my crank. I'll probably just part the damn thing out.
  6. Thebusdweller

Oddometer:
    I asked for a pro-x, when I called, Mike's wife said they couldn't find one, that the rod they used was a good part. His work was awesome , but after that, I found another place. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I would expect that from Xrs Only, but these guys, geezzzz
  7. disgustipated

disgustipated gnardogshredripper

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 96 recently. Rode it for ten days and the Piston seized. During the best riding days of the year. Choke plate broke and that was that. Hoping to get it running soon. Damage was minimal, hopefully. We'll see about the top end, definitely gonna be some head work. its hard to believe those choke plate pieces passed the valves. Kind of bummed after so few rides for major damage, but their is still snow in the Backcountry and I've got til october to ride and then there's moab next door...

And then there's the xr500 that I don't even want to touch. It was gifted to me, I'd like to ride it, it runs but needs work(forks are pitted, plastics, header is rusted through, no air filter cage or cover, also needs parts, wiring is jacked, so on and so forth)...
    webmonstro likes this.
  8. disgustipated

disgustipated gnardogshredripper

Oddometer:
  9. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Ya better jump to it, like you say... this is peak season.

[​IMG]
    GSXR, tuscan and disgustipated like this.
  10. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Checked mine 2° day I bought it.. It was starting to crack . Replaceed it with home made one
  11. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just wondering, the inmates that are in bear country, do you come across many? If so what is your strategy? How do you deal with them?

Interested to know.
  12. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive only seen three. 2 were in N GA woods just darting off to side. Dont know if they were scared & running away or what? The other was in FL, we were riding down a long straight trail with other bikes & following a bear. (approx 50 yards in front of us. It ran maybe 1/2 minute max which seemed like forever cause I didn't know if it would get mad a double back or if any others mates around. Ive always been paranoid about them, especially when I'm alone, deep in woods. Especially at night when I'd ride home from friends house, I'd be roosting all the way home as fast as I could, without losing it. (had a phobia of a bear was close behind chasing me) Back then no cell phones & I often wondered what I'd do if I broke down, like a busted chain or something. It was super dark because no city lights around & not many occupied cabins scattered here & there.
  13. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    My wife and I saw a bear cub while cutting trail up in the Ozark foothills for an upcoming hare scramble. We were on our four-wheeler so knew there was no chance of outrunning it's mom who we knew was probably watching us. Ever since then while riding in the woods, I carry my .380 and a spare magazine. I will only use it for a last resort and if I do, hopefully the first seven rounds will slow it down so I can swap magazines. I'd rather have to explain my actions to a game warden than be mauled or dead. They're saying mountain lions are back (probably never left) and I definitely don't want to run into any of those.

Greg
  14. dbur971

dbur971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My little spring in the brake pedal toe piece broke. It looks like a whole brake lever is the only replacement. Local Honda parts shows not avail. Has anyone identified a suitable replacement spring? I got a much better kick stand spring from my local farm store so I'm hoping I can do the same for the toe piece. An exact replacement might need to come from MMC or some such place though, if it can be identified.

Thanks.
  15. dbur971

dbur971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only seen one here in Oregon Upper Nestucca. It was down the trail a ways and they make themselves really scarce very quickly when you come around. It seems highly unlikely you could ever have a bear problem with these bears unless you fell between a mother and it's cubs or some such unlikely event.
  16. BSW

BSW Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the best engine cleaner or aluminium cleaner available off the shelf available to you guys in the US.
    There was one mentioned before here but I cannot find the post.
    Amazon will not ship to the EU when I asked.
    I have someone who can source this for me.
  17. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Napa Auto Parts Aluminum bright cleaner[​IMG]
    BSW likes this.
  18. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This de-greases? Long time ago on old outboard motors I used to use the Gunk, but they must have changed formulas because it stopped working. Good oven cleaner was the next best choice if you are going to repaint, because the good strong ones strip paint also. I would wrap in plastic to keep oven cleaner from drying, and let soak 15-30 minutes, then blast with water hose with focused nozzle. Back in the late 70s I remember seeing Yamaha shop using Top Job. Seems to be ok, but haven't tried in a while & hope they did not whimp-a-fy their original formula. Purple Stuff or Clean is strong form Walmart. Castrol Super Clean is real strong but hard on aluminum.(turns it black) IF you are just doing a general light cleaning such as after a muddy ride, get worst off with hose & then use a diluted detergent like Dawn dish soap or Simple Green. Oh almost forgot, a diesel mechanic had cases of Scrubbing Bubbles foaming aerosol bathroom cleaner, but you had to agitate a little to really make it cut grease. They sure liked the stuff, but I dont know if it is the same either, because I dont see the "Dow Chemical" label any longer, only the SC Johnson TM.
    BSW likes this.
  19. G-ride

G-ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Curious if anyone has run a Lectron carb on a xr600 ?
  20. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cant remember, but for sure Jacob has one on his 650L , and good chance it would be the same for the xr6. He also has a bunch of race vids to see. Check him out.
    G-ride likes this.