Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. no66

no66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bah, drove home last nigh, all good. Started bike this morning, fast idle on choke, poped it in 1st, but wouldn't engage. Gave it another try and it went in, though nothing off it. Drove off, second engaged no prob, but 3rd no go. Drove back and found the shifter pedal a tad loose on the splines.

Cleaned up, re mounted it, nice an tight and was sure tha this was the prob, but alas, still no 3rd. Looks like something internal like shift fork. Grrrrr.
    Will dump the oil and and have a good look but fear the worst.

I suppose its new rings and hone as the cylinder will have to come off?
  2. Thebusdweller

Thebusdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had part number 10 fail and had similar symptoms. The good news it was 5 dollars, the bad news is you have to split the cases to install it. The new and improved design is number 27, on the picture. MjAzMjg4Mw-676eb394.png
  3. no66

no66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yes, i fear the worst. Have rebuild my engine a couple of times. Just a pita and $$. Not just the part, but gaskets, and when one firt have it apart, new bearing, rings, hone etc :-(
  4. no66

no66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In desperation/hope I dumpet the oil, didn't find any bits. Put in some fresh. Same, wouldn't go straigh into first without a couple of taps. Got it up to forth with lots of tapping, but was had to go down again. Couldn't get it back to firt without stopping the engine.
    With the engine off, I can get it trough the gears with lofts of flicking of the lever/ pushing the bike fore/aft. Can hear it clicking

Must be the 10/27 spring thingy. F#¤k!
  5. dbur971

dbur971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After loosing two kick stand springs to the single track I got this generic spring from a hardware store and captured it on the stud with a C-clip.. Also note the backup tie wire just in case it gets knocked off again, but it hasn't.

upload_2019-8-21_22-25-20.png
    msteward likes this.
  6. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Loosing your kickstand spring sucks.
    It only took one time and I safety wired all my 600’s.

[​IMG]
    KarimADV, bork and JAB like this.
  7. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kinda cool video of engine rebuild. Time lapse.
    Squily likes this.
  8. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Turn your spring up the other way, and you will never have an issue again.
    All my kickstand springs are put on this way, haven't lost one ever.

IMG_1771.jpg
  9. lookfar

Oddometer:
  10. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that I disagree with you but in your picture what difference does it make which way up it is with a spring with equal length hooks on the end - or are you referring to which way round the hooks are pointing (down to the ground when stand is raised or the opposite?)
    Pls explain?
    Thanks
  11. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Which way round the hooks are pointing. Solid side down when the stand is raised, there is nothing to grab on sticks etc.

With the open side down when raised, it would be easy for a stick to catch on the end of the hook, and flip the spring off.
    tuscan and Ron50 like this.
  12. dbur971

dbur971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the springs I got from my hardware store have fully closed end loops so no issue there.
  13. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    How often are you guys doing a top end on these bikes?
    One of my friends followed me on a ride and said there was small puffs of smoke under WOT. Just wondering how much longer I can go.
    I understand i will have to check the chain and replace the valve guides per “while you’re in there”.
  14. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I'm on my 2nd oversize in last 18 years, with a lot of riding on them. But everyone will be different because of location and riding style. Almost all mine has be offroad riding I would say 10% road 90 off, and I rarely see the top of 5th or 4th.
    I change my stock air cleaner when dirty and thats about it, besides normal oil changes. I use the honda dino oil.
  15. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do a leak down test, although it will not show valve seal leakage. If leak down passes, I'd ride it and not worry about a puff here and there. Had my bike 20+ years and is mostly dirt also 95% and rode hard, but only once or twice a month. I've never gone in engine, but I quit riding it because of the gold dust in oil(symptoms of worn out thrust washers) It did smoke once in a while on start up, probably valve seals. If the gold dust wasn't there Id be still grinding on it. I'm sure it's tired because my buddy had his xr400 rebuilt with mild cam & it is faster than me now on a straight drag. ( I do weigh 60ish more lbs than him) We tried swapping bikes and dragging but he could never get a good run, shifting issues. We finally gave up.
  16. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup while "your in there" adds up quick. Best time to add the 5th gear mod, and shift drum spring update, & new oil pump, etc...?
  17. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a follow up question to the chain, what is your opinion of running a 15T front sprocket vs. the stock 14T? If I go with 15T, does the XR650 sprocket work and does it fit with the 14T sprocket guard? I also see a few votes for the Fritzco sprockets too. Don't want to trash my splines. :ear:ear
  18. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    Fritzcos the only way to roll :deal
  19. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    I run the 650r 15t and dremeled my case guard. Yes I’m risking it. However I run knobbies and don’t do wheelies on the street, or bang gears. Xrsonly sells a better case guard with actual protection. I probably compromised mine by doing so.. I wonder, why not run the 14 and just a smaller rear sprocket like a 40 or 39? Wouldn't that be less rotation mass anyway?
  20. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer: