Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. dbur971

dbur971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the fritz 14 and a larger rear sprocket. Had to modify the chain guide some for the larger rear. My overall gearing is slightly lower than stock I think. I think the 15 is pushing it on the front if you want a good case protector. I made a more solid protector which you can also see if you search this thread.
  2. bonebuster

bonebuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi busdweller, do you know the part number of that spring? I can’t find it anywhere.
    Item 27.
  3. rustyx

rustyx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a 15t front and an XRs only case saver. Also only ever ran renthal sprockets and my splines are fine.
  4. Thebusdweller

Thebusdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda 24624-MT3-000 SPRING, GEARSHIFT RESET
  5. bonebuster

bonebuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you
    Exploded 3rd gear so I’ll put the spring in also.
    Thebusdweller likes this.
  6. Dux RSA

Dux RSA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have a 98 XR and Have been using it as a play bike but have now decided to use it in the Vintage class in Baja style multi day events in South Africa .
    I already have a GPR triple clamp with under bar damper and an IMS 4 gallon fuel tank as well as IMS foot pegs .
    Engine is stock although I do have a Mikuni pumper carb waiting to go in and more than likely a Wiseco 98mm 11:1 piston will also find its way in there as well .
    Braking wise I am installing a 280mm front disc made for an RMZ450 , the mounting holes on the disc are identical and the adaptor plate for the caliper is easily modified to fit on the XR , rear disc remains stock .
    On suspension side I am considering Race Tech gold valve kits front and rear along with springs to suit my weight .
    Any other suggestions especially on suspension side .
  7. BSW

BSW Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is probably the only bottle this side of the Atlantic Ocean but it does works.[​IMG][ 20190923_220818.jpg
  8. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stuff works great.
  9. disgustipated

disgustipated gnardogshredripper

Oddometer:
    So I'm putting my bike back together after top end work. The problem is that there is no oil being pumped into the filter housing as well as no oil reaching the head. I've put oil in the frame and in the case. Does the oil pump have an air bubble? What should I be looking for?

If you're wondering why it was rebuilt, that's because the choke plate broke and got sucked into the cylinder. Thanks in advance!
  10. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Don't run it with out priming the pump. Kick it over while giving short busts of air into the oil filler spout. Rig a little bush with a piece of tubing between your air gun and the threaded opening. Or even your fingers/hand. Don’t have to be sealed. Wont take much. Kick with plug out. Look for oil at the banjo.
  11. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    What 2manyrides said, but it is easier to pull the breather hose off the top of the tappet cover and put the nozzle from the air gun in the hose. (fits a bit better)
    Leave the oil cap on, a few short bursts while turning the engine over should re-prime the oil pump.

Don't try to run it until you have oil up top- very bad!
  12. disgustipated

Oddometer:
    Lookfar and 2many, thanks for the tip. Tried something similar earlier but not while turning over the engine simultaneously. Took a few kicks but the oil is now coming out of the orifice at the banjo bolt on the head. Thanks!:D
    lookfar likes this.
  13. disgustipated

Oddometer:
    Any info on taillights? The xrs only product gets bad reviews. Amazon may have something but are there any suggestions? Looking for a tail and brake light.

Also, is there anywhere to get the right foot peg issue addressed? All the posts I've dug up on that fix are pretty old.
  14. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    disgustipated likes this.
  15. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats the right foot peg issue?
  16. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the 650R had some issues with the foot peg but I dont know of any for the 600.
    OE carb choke plate is an issue.
  17. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had to heat mine up and bend it back but thats the only issue I have ever had.

Had mine for about 18 years now, only issues I have had where probably caused by me.
  18. disgustipated

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, while color me confused. Perhaps I mistook the xr650 issue for the 600.

Regardless, after dropping the bike twice after I bought it a couple of months back, the foot peg bracket bent far enough both times to not let the kicker starter to function. I'm guessing the metal has weakened and maybe I should just buy a new bracket. And maybe I'll start dumping the bike to the left instead. View attachment 1926911
  19. disgustipated

Oddometer:
    Bump:clap IMG_20191004_121927.jpg
    dbur971, BSW, JAB and 2 others like this.
  20. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty common when the 300 lb bike falls that way, I've bent mine back several times over the years.