Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be the cam chain tensioner. My 92 behaved like that after I let the engine run backwards when it stalled on a steep hill. Only played up and was noisy after reaching full operating temp. Fixed with a new tensioner.
  2. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.! Will look into them when I get ready to tackle this! :thumb
  3. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    This noise is not the cam chain tensioner. I have put dozens of tensioners in XR600R's and XR650L's and they make a distinct 'clacking' noise when failing. In my experience, they usually make the most noise when first started cold and then slowly quiet up as they come up to operating temperature. The noise I have is much deeper and louder and only starts after the bike has been run for 20+ minutes.
  4. dedgerly207

dedgerly207 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I straightened out the mystery piece. Maybe it was a small thin washer? Still have not found any major damage. I did find the kick starter spring broken but it looks like a clean break without any missing pieces. The oil pump had two dowels on disassembly so it was not that. I feel compelled to split the cases at this point and inspect the transmission for damage. Removed all of the bolts but having trouble actually getting them to come apart.

Going to post a photo of the countershaft splines. They look to be in good shape to me, what do you think?

I also discovered only one cam chain guide on disassembly. I thought there was two?

Is there a list of things that people do while they have their XR apart? It looks like I am into this thing for a cylinder bore and piston, a couple rocker arms, a few missing case bolts and probably valve lapping/seals.

Attached Files:

5. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two cam chain guides...

[​IMG]
  6. dedgerly207

Oddometer:
    Yes, I thought something was missing. It only had part #5 present on disassembly. Not sure how long it's been like that as I purchased the bike not running and never tried to start it.
  7. dedgerly207

Oddometer:
    MCMA111,

Would you suggest replacing both guides, tensioner, spring, shaft and cam chain on this rebuild?
  8. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Splines look good.

if you are not sure of the history, and the PO appears to be not a very good mechanic, I would be inclined to replace everything to be safe.

was there a washer (item 13) when you pulled it to bits?

If you pour a little bit of petrol (gas) into the upside down head, if there is any leakage from the intake or exhaust ports, you will need to get the valves done.
  10. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cases are probably stuck together at the dowel pins that line them up, common.
  11. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seats - what seats are compatible with the XR600R? IE, will XR400 or XR650R or L seats fit? I may want to get a better seat in the future - wish I could get a Sargent!
  12. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only the XR650l seat will fit.

Renazco Racing baby...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MattLikeyBikey and buzzword like this.
  13. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Built your current seat better. Memory foam and other types and cover with the oem seat cover. Google is your friend
  14. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took mine for a ride today. Somewhere between a maizefield and a railway in Gauteng South Africa IMG_20191229_123632.jpg
  15. MattLikeyBikey

Oddometer:
    Any other takers on this?
  16. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. MattLikeyBikey

Oddometer:
    In this case, Google is my sworn mortal enemy. Even duckduckgo is tapped out. I'mma try some of the XR650L options and see what happens. I'll try to report back for the benefit of future googlers :wink:
  18. dbur971

dbur971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are any of the aftermarket chain sliders any good?
  19. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know , I know but I want to hear from someone that might have done this. What happens if an engine is assembled with a sloppy wristpin rod bore? Will it eventually break apart? Or score/gall really bad? Seems like I see galled small end rod bores on here frequently, due to what ? too tight? lack of lube? Is a cross hatch better than polished?
  20. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen several go far a long time pretty sloppy. Road riding them may kill them quicker but for off road use, which is where I have seen them in use, they seem to keep on going.

Lack of lube then heat is most likely cause.