Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cmb, what kind of filter? The small pleated K & N type? [​IMG]
  2. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried running in that bad rpm range, in the dark? Try looking up around coil & wires to see if there is any arcing. Hope ya have nice neighbors.
  3. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Correct. It is the K&N Uni type. Mine is theXR's only kit or at least that's what the PO said is where he got it.
  4. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    cmbthumper likes this.
  5. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any updates?
  6. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Updates...
    New stator will take a while as they are building them.
    Rode a dual sport Saturday, (mostly dirt) The motor ran great accept for that annoying hic-up. Revved around that all day.
    "
    in the dark", well, I could do that experiment. Can not do any testing with a 5.8 gallon tank on. I have a stock tank I use for ease of test and ease of repeated removal. I have not actually turned out all the lights while inspecting in the garage at night, but great attention to detail has been taken regarding coil, wires, spark plug, ohm and resistance tests, ect... I will revisit again while I wait for a new stator. In my search for the fault, coil, CDI and plug were the first things to substitute out and I am satisfied they're not culprits. But still, I will look again as that was one of my early thoughts. Sparking out...
    "neighbors", I am blessed to have found a home with detached garage and excess room on both sides of my property. Secluded motorcycle revving paradise.

bork and cmbthumper like this.
  7. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    My shift lever was bent so during my jet change and once over i decided to replace it with a IMS from XR's Only. Has anyone experienced these not fitting?

20200801_102554.jpg 20200801_102604.jpg 20200802_125531.jpg
    Ron50 likes this.
  8. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Hey, So do you remember I was trying to get it to run right? Could it be that it's rustyx that made the call.
    Old stator 77.4 ohm's
    New stator 88.6 ohm's

That might be it... I just needed to hear that.

rustyx, cmbthumper and JAB like this.
  9. rustyx

rustyx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you seem to have figured it out, and happy to have helped.
  10. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Hoping for some experienced help.

Wanting to put a small luggage rack on my 98' XR600. Not a full blown ADV setup just a small bag holder for short rides. I've researched till my eyes are bleeding and asked vendors if the XR650L ones fit and all I receive is nope. I'm trying to figure out the difference so I can mod or fab my own bracket if it is a connection point difference. They are so close but obviously different and I just don't know or can find out where.

So, can anyone say why there is always a quick "No" answer?
  11. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had looked at several different ones for mine also, even like one for a 250l because it was tapered. but I think they use part of the fender brace thats under the rear fender. I never tried to get one and ended up with the old xr's milk crate bottom type.
    cmbthumper likes this.
  12. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made one out of flatbar for my 98 600. Hope the photo's quality is of such nature that you can zoom in.

But, I also supported the inside with flatbar, nearer to the tank. IMG_20200806_054856.jpg

The flatbar allowed the side covers to go without hassles
    cmbthumper likes this.
  13. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    My 91 is running delightful with a new stator, (just about everything else is new so why not?)
    Tommy Two Tone's bike is finally done and out of here. She's running nicely.
    It's time to direct attention to "nicky". Yeah, that's right, I am actually going to give it a name.

[​IMG]

That's what it looked like when Tommy Two Tone bought it, (as a donor motor), and I get the rest of the left overs. That bike was a piece of shit and was not worth what he paid for it. especially that we discovered 4th gears are pitted! arrgh! But not only that, everything on it was loose, put on wrong, painted black, not working... on and on.

[​IMG]

Who ever FDC was must have really cared about this bike. Plating the frame, brake and shift pedals in nickle. Not so for the owners after that... until now. I got the bike and leftover parts as payment for doing Tommy's motor swap. It's street legal! It's title is in my name, in my hand!
    Here's my logic;
    I have two 600r's with green stickers, I cant ride them both at the same time.
    One I bought new and am partial to, the other...cannibalize! Poor 1996 XR600r!

[​IMG]

Might be just about the last time you see the 96 as I am going to put most of these parts on nicky. Wheels, seat, swing arm, shock, forks, trees, skid plate... but none of that white plastic. And most important, the motor. I just do not get a chance to ride ohv's much anymore and I've got two, so what the hell. The plan is to have nicky road legal, but just barely. I am going to gear even lower than 13x51. Full on knobbies. I have thoughts of just "faking" legal as I do not want to end up with another heavy "monster" like I feel I have in the 1991 XR. Nicky wont be for dual sporting, but if you had to ride back to camp on the road, well, ok then it has a plate. There will be NO white stuff on the bike accept for the face of my speedometer.

I have begun to clean it, I am getting the extra parts I want for it...

[​IMG]

Took it outside so I could clean it top to bottom. Now I'll strip her down the rest of the way and do a good polishing as she's dull in spots. There are places where the plating took a "hit". I will have to get a bit of silver paint on there.
    There is a crack in a common spot on the rear frame loop's cross bar.
    With the hell that the P/O's put this through, I am considering flushing the oil tank/frame out.

[​IMG]

Crack

[​IMG]

chips

[​IMG]

I have a pressure switch for the brake light on order. It's not going to fit there without some grinding.

[​IMG]

They didn't use a bash plate =dents, they didn't use a disc guard =bent beyond service, They didn't fill the tires =rims shot.
    everything was loose. They really didn't "have it" when it comes to wrenching. Loose some parts? Here, here's a wood screw...

[​IMG]

So this is going to be my dirt bike. Truck it up to the trails. Unfortunately the yearly registration is going to tally up with all the other vehicles I've got. 72 BSA, 77 yamaha, 91 xr, 92 xr...hey, I have a non-op on the triumph! The 96 can join the ranks, reduced to a "roller", yet donate it's heart and all other organs to the 95...nicky.

So I'll post up progress over time. Right now, some polishing to do to bring back the luster. One of the last things needed, the side covers, they're in... Gives you an idea what color I have in mind. It's going to be nickle, red and black.

[​IMG]
    spezjag and JAB like this.
  14. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have good or bad to say about ordering parts from Hondaparts-direct.com in Palistine TX.? They seem to have really good prices.
  15. JAB

Oddometer:
    No experience with those folks but I would try to check stock and take note of any delays posted on the website. My recent order at BikeBandit did not go very smooth. YMMV.
  16. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    B/B....
    No longer a smooth operation. 1 1/2 months waiting to ship and still not complete. But... they charge you all the while. And then, try to get through to them... arrgh
  17. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. JAB

Oddometer:
    BikeBandit had told me that Honda was delayed in shipping parts and BB were short staffed due to C19. This virus has boned a lot of businesses and customers.
  19. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    At B/B
    They place the blame squarely on the corona virus...
    BUT... they've reverted to a 24 hr a day operation and have their management team serving in the warehouse. Right... should get my order very soon.
  20. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm getting all of my OE Honda parts from Rockymountainatv/mc

No screwing around like Bike Bandit or Babbits and others.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/
    Thumperama and JAB like this.