1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be cool if we could get the SS inserts to fit and rivet them on.
    [​IMG]
    CoeGuthrie likes this.
  2. CoeGuthrie

CoeGuthrie 92XR600R

Oddometer:
    Pictures from before and after I filed the grooves out of my clutch basket:

39359A72-0E12-4F9E-A3F1-81D45F8CD5BE.jpeg

9D1E5588-8409-4494-8502-650BC484984C.jpeg

Look all right to everyone?
  3. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good enough
    CoeGuthrie likes this.
  4. sdom001

sdom001 BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    can someone school me on rims and spokes. Are spokes bike specific or rim size specific? Can you use one brand of spokes with a rim of another brand? My 94 xr6 needs a new rear rim and spokes and I have never had to do this before so looking for any help possible. Thanks in advance.
  5. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. sdom001

sdom001 BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    thank you for the link. I had done a search but didn't come across that one. Would you suggest the Buchanan spokes with the .300 nipples for the D.I.D rim as well or is that only for use with the Excel Takasago Rim? What about the Notako rims? Not sure which way to go?
  7. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I recall the .320 diameter nipples work fine on the OE DID rims. Not so much on the Excel rims. They come out on a bit of an angle so that is why I spec the .300 nipples as it lets the nipple sit in the rim better. Doubt that Buchanan's knows this as they spec the .320 nipples for the XR series rims. I don't know about the Notako rims. I'm guessing they are the same as the Excel model rims. Just a less expensive version?
  8. sdom001

sdom001 BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help
  9. ossaboy2867

ossaboy2867 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read a ton of posts on here to help get this project done. Thanks all for posting so much information.

BEFORE:
    RenderedContent-3BEFF96E-237F-4D56-9B55-7CF6562DFB66.JPG
    IMG_7958.JPG
    IMG_7957.JPG

AFTER:
    IMG_8991.JPG
    IMG_8992.JPG
    IMG_8993.JPG
    IMG_8994.JPG
    IMG_8995.JPG
    IMG_8997.JPG
  10. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    HUUUUUGE Props to how that turned out. :super:thumb:super:thumb:super:thumb
    CoeGuthrie likes this.
  11. cmbthumper

Oddometer:

• New items installed today

Fritzco Sprocket 14T

Primary Drive Chain Guide

Primary Drive ORH Gold X-Ring chain

XR's Only Temp Dirpstik

Double Take Mirror

Tugger Strap

XR600 Stickers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited 2 hours ago by cmbthumper
    • Edit
  12. CoeGuthrie

CoeGuthrie 92XR600R

Oddometer:
    I also think that this thing turned out absolutely gorgeous!

One question- just out of curiosity-why did you go with the earlier side panels? Do you just prefer the look?

The thing is so pretty, I’d almost be scared to ride it anywhere except on pavement!
  13. ossaboy2867

Oddometer:
    I went with the early side panels because the orange UFO plastic is impossible to find. I paid for a pair back in April and they aren’t here yet. Also it makes it easy to fiddle with the choke/idle.

And as far as riding it, I took it out last weekend and rode it hard for a shake down test. The paint on the side cases are scuffed off, the graphics on the side panels are scratched, and its all dirty now. I had fun restoring it, and I will do it again after a few years running it. I have over $1k in racetech suspension mods alone so I plan on riding it and enjoying it.

I had a trailer queen bike years ago, sold it to a friend I trusted to sell it back if he decided to get rid of it. Long story short, he showed up one day with a mud truck he traded it for. The next owner of the bike pulled the engine and put it in a go kart, and parted out the rest of the bike. After I spent all that time and money to look at it, not ride it, and only to see it wind up like that changed my tune.
    enduro16 and cmbthumper like this.
  14. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I personally like the older side panels over the newer style. The suspension worth it? You going to race?
  15. cmbthumper

Oddometer:
    Ossa,
    Any pics of the cockpit / handlebars / hanguard set up?
  16. ossaboy2867

Oddometer:
    F1B923CD-A632-4006-9710-2A0B1D0D1E93.jpeg
    spezjag and cmbthumper like this.
  17. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    IMG_5455.JPG

Sneak preview... mocked up for your viewing enjoyment...
    2manyrides

I am part of a dying breed, the XR600r owner, I am making a revival. Full video to follow...(do not hold your breath) This bike is the first one I am going to officially name. "nicky" because of the nickle frame. The nickle frame with a street license. Since I have two xr600's registered as green sticker, why not?
    The direction I am taking is "red" and "off road use". I mean this is meant to be a trail bike, not a dual sport. (trucking to the staging area)
    Going together from parts off a 2000, 1996 and 1995 bikes. Trying to use as little new parts as possible. 95 frame, 96 motor, wheels, suspension, 2000 body parts. I am fulfilling a vision to do away with all that white stuff.
    I am targeting the month of december as running, current registration, first dirt ride.
    thebigman, rustyx, mcma111 and 4 others like this.
  18. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    My biggest concern would be filing them all evenly, ensuring that the basket fingers were all in contact with the fibre plates.
    Uneven loading of the basket fingers may cause failure of the clutch basket.
    XR650L is still in production, why not use a basket from it? If the primary drive is different, it's a simple matter to swap them over.

My .02
  19. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The primary drive gear tooth count on the crank is different than the XR650l as well as the clutch basket giving a higher ratio.
    cmbthumper likes this.
  20. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I was having a problem with my 1986 XL600RM that I couldn't get the bike to go into neutral with the engine running. I put it down to wear in the clutch basket fingers. I didn't want to machine the fingers down as this would be next to impossible to do it evenly without a dividing head on a milling machine. Next best thing would be to swap the clutch basket out using a basket from the XR650L as they are available nearly new at a good price, so this is the way that I went.
    The XRL has a different primary drive ratio than the RM, so I would need to change the primary drive gear on the crankshaft as well.
    When I pulled it all to bits, I found that the XRL primary drive gear wouldn't clear the XL's oil pump, as the XRL's primary drive gear is slightly larger than the XL's. Fortunately, in my box of bits, I had an oil pump from an XRL, so I swapped it out as well, and then it all went back together.
    Now the clutch works as it should so happy days.
    Just to show we can keep the old XL's and XR's going by mix 'n match.
    Just have to sort out a sporadic dragging front brake now..... IMG_1845.jpg
    Thumperama, thebigman and spezjag like this.