Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ProTaper makes a nice lever with the decom lever
  2. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Inquiring minds want to know?
    only up to the 45:00 mark... Thank you for watching. It would be a nut that stumbled upon it and watched it all the way through in one sitting! Average viewer gets about 15 minutes in. Who knows if they come back and watch later. But that's the way to do it.
    stories & music... Thanks again. Stories are out of memory, off the top of my head. Seriously there too many rides. I have a crap load of stories. There were tons before I ever tried to start documenting rides. Some are only pictures or only memory rides. I got a big-ole sony video 8 machine in 1990 and began makeshift methods and unconventional means of video taping. The music? I have tossed four versions of a song called "9er". One was a studio version, the others are from one night or the other during years of weekly rehearsal recordings. (4 versions of the same song) On a side note... I have a band page where I laid down every video of the band I had. Whether good or bad! and these are not versions from our albums. Typically the songs were recorded during rehearsals or at a gig.... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzLjpiXJxYCWdRSz--MWtLg But all the bike videos go on my 2manyrides channel.
    the temp?... Oh it was very pleasant. 74 in the valley and a little cooler up there. I began to feel hot before I even left home and changed out to that awful colored pink and blue malcom smith enduro jacket I bought the same year I got my 92 xr. That was not so toasty as the new alpine stars jacket. So I felt comfortable all day.
    What happens if you break down way back there away from civilization, you have ph reception?... What happens? Any number of things. Did I leave in the story about the flat tire on the cl125 honda, or did I cut that? That time I hitchhiked home and came back for my bike the next day. The time scratch dropped his bike and broke the filter cover, we had to push his bike out far enough to where the truck could be driven. I rode back and got his truck and we loaded the bike. One thing bout that instance is I never got the oil shooting out of the hole in his cover like blood from a jugular vien. Wish I had that on tape!
    (see xr600r with an oil leak)

Or that whole day's whole ride; (which includes the spill as well)

With a little pushing at the end...
    But anyway what I would do if I broke down depends which bike, where, what... Many times there is no reception. 4 years ago I went down a black diamond trail on a solo ride, on a holiday when the trails were officially closed. Not going to see many people back in the nat forest that day! No reception and bike pretty much upside down... I had to work to get out of there! the bottle hill ride was with-in civilization the whole time, in general. BUT HEY, at home, I try to make sure my bikes don't break down on the next ride!

use a rope & buddy for a tow or get a truck... Pretty much covered that, but each time is it's own set of circumstances. Why one time I stupidly went on reserve 45 miles from my "shed" of a cabin with both the wife and the dog on my xr500r. We never did run out because I coasted at every chance. (coming out of "graniteville" the road turns into "cruzon grade"). Another time way back in the 70's when we had 500cc bsa's for dirt bikes I pushed my friend back over thirty miles at speeds over 60mph sometimes. Right foot lodged at the rear of his seat. These methods do not work well uphill.
    how many gallon... It's 5.8 gallons. I can go 230 miles easy. I did not fill up that day on the way out of town and I only went on reserve because I was pointing downhill on mt murphy's grade which was another dirt section. I thought I was filming it. But my battery had died unknown to me. and here I was telling stories and describing the scenery!
    did you edit... There was 4 1/2 hours of raw footage. I narrowed it down to 1 1/2. Lotta stories missing! As I got into the editing process I decided to show as much of the really cool roads as I could and as little of the blvds it takes to get into the mountains. I was on a quest for dirt that day as we had been fouled by USFS and weather two weeks before. A group of us were supposed to do dualsport. BTW, the forest trails and roads just opened up all around here on april 1st!!!! let the rides begin! But there's still snow that has to melt in the higher country so I have some restrictions. Upcoming is a new staging area I've yet to use. (called brimstone) Probably go there next. But it is in the same complex as sugarpine so no big deal. There are some new trails there. And I gotta spend a couple trips into elkins flat this year.
    You know the area well... Another victim of the cutting room floor edits. Missed out on the story how I used to ride those same roads back in the mid 70's. I'd go after work on those long summer days. Yes, I've made it a point to search out every spot I've not been to yet with in my certain parameters. I also have a very good memory for places I went to once a long time ago... ect. So I know my way around very well. The whole world is different for riding now. There's people living in the high country year round, over population, over regulation... on and on.
    I only have so much time left where I can still ride! (walking is tough) Riding is good! And I am making the best of it with what we have left. I AM on another REDEDICATION right now to get out and ride as much as possible, as much as I can handle... Which is diminishing...
    Who wants to go? Just geared nicky down for the summer season today! I took him off his winter diet of 14x42 and switched to 13x51 for a gear ratio of 3.92 If I don't make it to the trails tomorrow, I'll probably go during the work week.
    Riding is good therapy as you all know
    2many

[​IMG]
  3. cold_brew

cold_brew Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. aTuWitty

aTuWitty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Steve! I ordered a CR250 clutch/hot start setup for cheap on Ebay. I'm hoping I can use the hot start cable on the decomp assembly since I don't have a cable, either. We shall see :)
  5. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OE XRL choke cable is straight as it enters the carb. The CRF cables have a 90' bend at the carb end.
  6. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    John's fresh build

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    That's the cat-out-of-the-bag...
    Yes, I performed an early morning liberation off the hands of the whisperer. It's a year 2000 motor that spent it's life as a dirt bike. A dirt bike that never got washed and was put away dirty. Internally in pretty good shape in the words of mcma111. However, it came into our hands after the dreaded xr600r brass thrust washer on the crank catastrophic failure. The guy we got it from said it still ran good. Thank god he did not run it too much!

IMG_5322.JPG

So it is an extra motor for 2many. What is to be done with it? It's going in here because I have not had a good go-round with the 1991's motor.

1cropIMG_6282.jpg

But first, I gotta clear some of my irons from the fire. There's no big hurry, accept something in my head tells me every day to get going on it. Why? There's big plans for the 91 this year.

More pressing at the moment is to ride. The national forests have opened up to ohv travel as of april first and Nicky got his dirt wheels installed on the 2nd in anticipation of being USED for what he was intended. And so I have a holiday off all work planned for tomorrow.
    See ya on the trail! Watch for the red streak flying by...

8. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, now for the ride report.:dirtdog
  9. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Gimmie a second... I just got back yesterday afternoon. These things take time!
    To quote scratch beetle, "if I had a bike to ride, all I would was ride all day".
    Yes, that's the way he phrased it.

IMG_6395.JPG

But, I can let out a few observations.
    Going out on a Wednesday is great compared to a weekend when everyone and their kid is enjoying the woods as well. Staged at parker flat in the sugar pine ohv complex in the tahoe nat' forest. They are getting pretty stingy as to what they will allow compared to the old days. In the old days, raw forest. In these days, restriction. This location was the site of the largest turn-out I've had in the history of the SDA. Back in the 80's there was an 18 bike, 35 people turn-out to one of my organized events. Later in the 90's while a member of the TBSA, (trailbike sportsman's association), we volunteered our services twice a year to repair and improve the trail system here. Everything from installing wooden barriers such as seen here, to lining chain-link structures with cobble. Imbedding brick and other cobble to improve traction in the toughest spots. There's a lot of miles of trails ranging from easy to most difficult. Yesterday, I staged here and headed up higher to try to explore humbug ridge where I had some plans. But I was thwarted by the persistent snow banks in the shady areas. A solo ride, I was not about to get in over my head. Up in there, the most difficult trails were closed too due to the lack of melt. There were multiple crews engaged in trail creation and improvement through out the main system. Trail making machines creating brand new sections. Off-loaded pressure treated wood placed in locations where more barriers were to be built. A new to me staging area installed called brimstone. It's a happening place... For the masses... Not for me.

I do not enjoy being routed around the features I would normally want to visit. I do not enjoy the whoops created in the trail bed by over zealous riders giving extra gas or braking in order to hot-dog their machines. I do not enjoy sucking up the dry dust from groups of four wheel thingies. Which due to this years lack of normal rain was already occurring in the lower sections. I did not shoot all the things on video that were in my minds eye. I forgot to turn the camera on at other times, even left the sound off on another run.
    On my last run of the day, I was out checking some of the new stuff when while on my way back to the truck, I decided to take some parts of loop 1. Though they claim it as easiest, it is the most jagged rock, deepened puddle strewn, atv wide and torn route you can take. So with some regret in choosing that route I pressed on at a steady rate due to the fact that route dumps out right at my truck!
    Nicky preformed as expected. No surprises there. The motoz dirt tires had full grip of the situation throughout my journey. The weather was just cool enough for my old malcom smith enduro jacket, yet warm enough to have a few beads form on my brow during the rough sections.
    While I was very successful in my traversing all obstacles yesterday, never fell, stalled only once and got my fill for the day, I too was reminded of my own increasing age and what I CAN still do. Hard ass enduro is out of my league, yet I am still viable at pleasure cruising and exploring at a pace more suited to my age. So Nicky and me hit the car wash on the way home, sprayed off that deep red soil and are no worse for wear. I plugged in the download and showered off the mud as well. Video at 5...
    Mission accomplished... in a way.
    Looking forward to the further progression of the session where my choices will expand. Just be aware, this is not the old days, we're making the best out of what we have left available to us.

Here we are on a fairly level section of loop 5, rated as "more difficult".

IMG_0823.jpg

foresthill ohv.jpg

Attached Files:

bork likes this.
  10. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk:lurk

I dont know if this is from someone here, but thanks for the education. 9:15 is where the action is at.
  11. DicktheNick

DicktheNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever seen a triple tree bent? I've got bent forks so got another set from fleabay, but they won't line up with the upper bridge even with the Hey-Suess nut off. I can swivel the bridge back and forth but there's just no way to push both forks through without a lot of force on the upper tube to get it to go in.

I've verified the replacement forks are not bent, so it comes down to the stem or the bridge. The bridge sits flat on a table saw so points to the stem being twisted out of alignment. Anybody seen this?

Great selfie SeƱor Veintidos!:strum
  12. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    I have not seen yor scenario but try to assemble the whole set off the bike. Then slip the bottoms down a bit lower than where they should be. Slip the top on and see if the stem aligns then. Rotate the individual tubes to see if they run out of wack top to bottom clamp.
  13. DicktheNick

DicktheNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks JF. Luckily this ain't on the XR but another project bike. And now, back to your regular scheduled show! Calling All XRs!!:type
  14. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Did anybody see this yet? Check the trail system map in post above to try to figure where the hell I went.
    Those who want single track only, the big stretch of that starts at 30 minutes.
    At that point I took loop 5, got on loop 2 and did some of loop 4 and 1 at the end. As always, I missed some of the best stuff just making mental camera errors.
    (like... you will have to turn it on to get footage!) Great Wednesday, great temperature, few people on the trail. I got just what the doctor ordered.

15. cold_brew

cold_brew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rebuilding my 1994 XR600R and upon disassembling the front forks to rebuild them, it is apparent the stock springs have been replaced. Anybody have any clue as to why there is a section of PVC pipe above each spring, is this some sort of volume spacer, has anybody seen this setup before or have a clue as to what "aftermarket" spring setup this might be? IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg
  16. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    No clue about the springs, but the PVC spacers are for pre-load and not that uncommon for the home builder or "pro" tuner to do. Lot's of recipes floating around for fork mods.
    cold_brew likes this.
  17. ehbt

ehbt Meh

Oddometer:
    No idea on the springs either sorry. The Eibach set
    I bought a while ago came with some plastic tube for preload as JAB mentioned, think I ended up cutting spacers about 70mm long after chatting with another inmate.
  18. Moodytico

Moodytico Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Moodytico

Moodytico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying to get my build buttoned up by the end of month. Did a complete frame off over the winter. Almost done, needs a case saver chain guide. Trying to figure out luggage solution, possibly going to do the New Mexico BDR Memorial day weekend.
    cmbthumper likes this.
  20. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Moody, how do like the oil cooler?