Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Moodytico

Moodytico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Super clean installation and fit without having to modify my Devol skid plate. Adds to oil capacity almost 1/2 quart. Still waiting for a couple little things before I take it for any long trips. I will probably add a temp gauge but I doubt it will overheat now!
  2. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    XR600r

bork likes this.
  3. DicktheNick

DicktheNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    too far for me. 2many...
  6. T-34

T-34 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nostalgic, but still doesn't look fun.
  7. Juddvong

Juddvong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked myself up a 2000 XR600. While I start from the beginning of this thread I wanted to ask. How is the Edelbrock carb? My bike has one and I'm not sure how to feel about it. Still trying to figure out the cold start sequence. Seems like I can't get parts for it. Should I start looking to replace it? Seems like it runs pretty well currently.
  8. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the ever increasing hard to find parts for it, "xr600r" world. The only carburetor I have run on mine is the oem. That said, they quit making them. However, some one has begun production in the aftermarket world. They have been seen for under $100 on ebay. I am running one and it is working well.

Nicky took to the trails yesterday. He was very pleased to get out on a 75 degree day. The snow has melted at 5,000 foot and immediately it is bone dry and dusty. I fear what's to come in the pending fire season.

IMG_7105.JPG

Wipe the foam from around the edges of your mouth as it's going to take a few days to massage the raw footage into a video.
    MotoLodiek and JAB like this.
  9. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Starting drill for my stock-ish XR600. Cold start-gas on, choke on, ignition on, NO throttle. Bring piston to top with kick lever until it stops, use decomp to go just past TDC, release decomp and give it a firm kick. If in decent tune/condition, should start 2-3 kicks. Warmed up start, just past TDC, NO throttle, should start first kick. After you figure out the best drill for you and the bike, some might try 1 or 2 kicks cold with the compression release pulled, ignition off with the choke on to pull a little more fuel to start. Takes a little practice, but after you get it, it's pretty easy.
  10. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There were 2 versions, 1 with pump, and 1 with out pump. If pump is there, linkage is on the left side IIRC. There is a screw on the right side that opens passage of the pumps squirt which re-diverts the squirt back into fuel bowl. IIRC screwing it down restricts the path & allows more to shoot into throat, and unscrew lets more go back into bowl/less in throat. I have a manual about it somewhere, I'll try to find it. If you have the pump, you quickly snap/twist throttle approx 3 times, before kicking and wait approx 5 seconds for gas fumes to go to work, which richens the air/fuel for a cold start. Hot start is usually, do nothing. Mine would start good hot & even run after falling, and laying on its side. Most important about these 600s is do not touch throttle (hot or cold) while kicking! If you give throttle while trying to start it, makes for a favorable formula to kick back like a mule or worst. If your not sure, wear some sturdy boots until you get the procedure down, then after flip-flops will work. If you do have pump version and throttle is hard to twist, mine would bind in the pump piston/bore. I would have to pull back the little accordion boot & would drop 2 or 3 drops of 2 stroke oil in the bore to help lube it. Put boot back to keep the grit out.
  11. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hers a decent explanation video of the starting procedure.
  12. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    I decided to make a video of the ride Monday into 3 pieces. Just too much raw footage. This would be like... part 3 in a parallel universe.

bork likes this.
  13. Juddvong

Juddvong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help! Turns out it is the pumper version. I went to go practice my cold starts and snap goes the throttle cable. Looks like they don't make the cables anymore so I'll have to solder one up. I used the cold start procedure in the video and it would idle for a couple of seconds then flame out. The Previous owner told me it helps to crank the idle know til it warms up but I really don't want to be messing with it all the time. I'm going to take the carb out and give it a good cleaning. It's been sitting up for a few months.
  14. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont take apart until you know it really good. Because there is a bb in there somewhere that falls out & is a must to run properly. I dont know where it is located, maybe somewhere in the bowl? But when you separate it , the bb usually fall out. Dont ask me how I know.
    Also for cable, Terry Cable used to be able to make anything, just call them.
    http://www.terrycable.com/Cables_c_16.html
  15. *perko

*perko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine has an FCR and can get a bit cranky to get started if it's been sitting for a couple of months (mostly cause I'm lazy and don't usually drain the carb).
    When it's like this it will often take a fair few kicks to get going then not idle the first few times it fires.

Once it's been ridden it's back to 1 kick starts hot or cold, if I've been riding all day it doesn't even need that big of a kick to get it going as long as you start from TDC.

Give it a good run and some fresh fuel before doing anything else, it it's really grumpy then bump starting down a hill can make your life easier, also have a look around the edge of the head for any oil residue, head gasket leaks can make starting it a bitch (ask me how I know).
    Ron50 likes this.
  16. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    This bike is on craigs list sacramento. It's a 1995. It's tommy two-tone's...

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/d/wheatland-plated-95-xr600/7318066865.html?lang=en&cc=gb

I personally went through the whole bike and set things straight, but not the motor. He blew his motor and we bought a donor bike. (which is now nicky)
    After I got it all running I notice fourth gear is howling. Tommy is bailing out.

IMG_9094 crop .jpg

I just wanted all you out there to be aware... It has a repaired tank strap!

IMG_9331.jpg

Attached Files:

17. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    $3500.00 with a howling forth gear??
    baldman1 likes this.
  18. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried any different oils? Maybe the diesel oil? Tommy is giving up on riding? After watching your videos, you'd think he'd be itch-en to get back in the saddle.
  19. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on supply and demand eh? Easier to come down than go up.
  20. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Obo... he will go down.
    I just wanred you all to know it has a repaired tank strap. Did I mention the gears?