Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Juddvong

Juddvong Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Hello 600r people.
    I've finally finished the video of the elkins flat, caldor, grizzly flats ride I took saturday the 14th. There is nothing spectacular in them. They are just helmet cam footage of the forest roads. I was scouting potential camp/staging areas as I have not spent enough time over the years in this area. I just got a toy hauler and am looking forward to expanding on riding places I'm not fully familiar with. It is a little harder to get up there than my regular spots up 49, 80 and 50. What is uncanny and a shame is that later this day, after I was already home, the caldor fire started. The first couple of days were not too bad as the acreage burned was 45 and 750 respectively. But then it blew up. Tripling in size over night each night. No containment still and it has raged to over 98,000 acres now. Forest service officials have relented that of all the fire fighting tools they have at their disposal, nothing seems to work. They can not stop it and are relegated to getting people out and trying to save as many structures as possible. Thankfully no one has died. And I don't mean to be selfish here, but it just drives me nuts to see my choice riding areas go up in smoke. In some cases it is passing through and leaving the tops of trees, but mostly it is an inferno leaving scorched earth and black sticks. So dry and dusty up there. I commented as such quite a few times on my ride.
    I'm very passionate about getting my bikes up there and going for rides in the mountains. It's getting tougher to do that. This does not help any.
    So, nothing spectacular here, but if you like the view from the handle bars, if you want to see this lush forest just hours before it was torched, here you go...
    You've got a ride through of the USFS pipi campground and a long ride on N/S road through caldor and grizzly flats.

There are people from around the world who watch this thread, but they don't all know how scenic the riding is here. (used to be)
  3. no66

no66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would like to extend many thanks to @mcma111 Steve for helping me out the past years.
    Never a no and has sent me parts promptly and given gread advice.

If you need you engine redone, fixed or whatever, Steve is the man!
    Wattner and enduro16 like this.
  4. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride video coverage. It kills me to see what is happening to Calif. as like you I like exploring once leaving the S.F. Bay area's concrete jungle heading due east (Sonora) into the Gold Country. Over Sonora Pass to Bridgeport. West side Heading north up towards Quincy, Lake Almador, on north. Feather River Canyon another stomping grounds from the late 60's to late 70's era. OMG i'm old.
    Northward the Calif. Redwoods, Coastal HW 1 on into Oregon, Washington onto Vancouver Island Canada. Still a lot missed and seen in our cherrish Calif. vs being labled a bad state. Oh, a short juant down HW 1 to Pacific Grove on south off the concrete jungle highways.
    Can't take back the the days of the late 60's riding bikes now with too many "transplants) and their "me first" attitudes in my native state. Heck 1/8 the population of the country in Calif. alone, why is that?
    Free camping away from other campers, they were the days.

Sad the fire that took out Dardanelles Resort a couple years ago. Old family run, sold to a young couple then within 3-4 months later a fire destroyed the area, Dardanelles gone. My soft spot as well Kennedy Meadows a 47 year family gathering thing booking all the cabins. I would take off and ride bike vs sitting around throwing horsehoes and drinking. Catch the same June weekend it was the bike gathering at Bridgepot now pushed out. Yeah right "making contact with those biker people" by the Visalia crowd. Nope they were a better class of people the bike riders in my book......~~=o&o>......
  5. dbur971

dbur971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to do a cylinder hone and would like to know the ideal process so I can select a local shop who will do a good job. Don't really want to mail it off somewhere. Grits and methods I see on the internet are all over the place in terms of initial grit and how to plateau it. Is the a preferred initial grit and plateau grit to be used for the XR's? Most of what I see is 180-220 initial and 320 up to 600 for plateauing. I even found on site saying use 180 ball hone to plateau which seems at odds with everyone else. Also there are about 5 options on type of plateauing grit to use, but I see no real guidance on that. I assume most shops are just going to use what they have and call it good.
    Thanks.
  6. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'll go first. Why do you want to hone the cylinder?
  7. dbur971

dbur971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Burns oil, valve seals replaced. Cylinder looks perfect and measures low wear, but is probably too smooth. Rings may be packed with carbon or worn and not sealing, though no appreciable cylinder wear or scoring is present. The cylinder looked so good I left it alone and just did the valve seals, but still burns oil. Only thing left it could be is the rings. I have not had the cylinder off yet, just the head.

I suppose if it is just carbon build up (from the old stiff valve seals?) I could just clean the rings. But if I take it apart I was thinking I'd be best off to replace the rings even if they still look good. Then it would need to be honed.
    View attachment 3192770
  8. dbur971

dbur971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-9-16_12-29-15.png Couldn't insert photo in original post for some reason.
  9. redbikejohn

redbikejohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd just rub it lightly down with very fine wet and dry. Good clean and pop new rings in. It looks ok in photo. Unless its worn or marked you just need to take the glaze off.
  10. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Fall... Starting to cool down a bit. Must do more riding!

IMG_5812.JPG

IMG_9927.jpg
    brucifer likes this.
  11. jayi4767

jayi4767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm starting my xr600r build. I got it as a roller with 4 boxes of parts minus the head. I got a cheep head off of Ebay and went to work on it. I'm building it as an adventure bike. I plan an leaving the compression stock. What would be my best cam choice? 20210925_180922.jpg 20210925_230119.jpg 20210926_024803.jpg Thanks.
    NorseCycles and cmbthumper like this.
  12. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's freshen up this high mileage XR600 engine. Wiseco 97.5 piston, valve job, cam chain, late style shift shaft spring.

Inspected the lower end. It was perfect.

First time this engine had been apart.

Like a virgin. :pope

[​IMG]

xrjac and webmonstro like this.
  13. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    I bet there’s not 2many of them virgins out there anymore! But I DO have one that will be next....
    In the future.
  14. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The famous red hammer!
  15. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That hammer definitely looks like it hammered a few virgins
  16. jayi4767

jayi4767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My counter shaft is going to have to be replaced. Is a xl600 countershaft compatible? I happen to have a new one laying around. Thanks
  17. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The shaft will fit fine just the splines for the drive gear are different
  18. jayi4767

jayi4767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  19. MotoLodiek

MotoLodiek Adventurer

Oddometer:

Nice job! But I just wanted to point out that the CS's are only case hardened. (Had the chance to measure this in the lab)

The material itself is harder than normal steel, but the amount of material that needs to be removed makes it necessary to reharden this section.

Whether this is actually an issue for the kickstart idler remains to be seen though, but it could cause premature wear.

Sacrifices were made:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cmbthumper likes this.
  20. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Went for a little romp in the woods yesterday. Here's a sample of it...
    And another 92 xr vid I made.