Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. aTuWitty

aTuWitty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I walked out to my XR600R the other day and fired it up and it smoked like mad for 30 seconds and then smoked on heavy throttle. It has never smoked before at all- it only has around 30 hours total since Steve rebuilt it. The last time I ran it was two weeks prior when I started it up, rode it around for 10 minutes, and then shut off the fuel and let it idle until the bowl was drained.

What could cause this sudden influx of oil to the motor? Oil on startup indicates valve stem seals, but I thought oil on throttle was due to rings, and I have a hard time believing that both went bad at the same time on a low usage motor...
  2. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dry sump was probably not .... because of a leaking valve in the lubrication system, so the engine needed to pump the excess oil back into the frame before it got to its correct level.

Did you check the dip stick before starting? If there's no oil showing that's a pointer to the cause.
  3. aTuWitty

aTuWitty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't check it before starting, but I did check immediately after it started smoking, and there was oil showing. And like I said, it has never smoked on me before, so this was rather sudden :(
  4. Unsung

Unsung Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rewiring an xr600r. Can I tap into the wiring somewhere with a car battery to fire up my blinkers and lights while Im chasing things down?
  5. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would use the harness battery leads MAKING SURE there is a fuse close to the battery so the harness is not damaged if there is a short. You can use a battery charger or other DC supply as well, just protect yourself and the circuits.
  6. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    That is a loaded question as a 600 did not come w/blinkers at all. We do not know how your bike is wired. But the answer is yes in many ways. IE... I have done the same thing when I was wiring mine.

You are asking if the cdi, stator and such might be damaged some how? Unplug em.
    cmbthumper likes this.
  7. Unsung

Unsung Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could I run a hot wire from car battery to hot wire that goes into my emgo blinker / horn / headlight switch to light everything up? Would I just put a fuse inline on that wire or would I need to run it through a regulator?
  8. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Power up your handlebar switch to check function of your accessories. That should put your electronics out of the equation and give you a test of horn, signals, high/low, ect. Chances you have a short are small. You know what your doing ....right? OK, don't worry about a fuse. You'll know soon enough if there is trouble being you're standing right there.
  9. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

It is a stormy rainy day... Shuffling a few things around in the shop. "no rides day"
    bork and baldman1 like this.
  10. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love the engine stand!
  11. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    It's not too tall, but is probably more of a rolling display than a work station.
  12. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! You just spurred me to make a stand!
  13. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    I would like to add to your video watching time here and now. This is the latest release... xr600r's for 2021. These bikes were all up for sale this year!
    You mean you missed getting that one? You mean that one was yours? And you're sorry you got rid of it?

14. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ Great video. Sounds like my bike, my breathing AND my bike at 5:03.
  15. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    That would be the 96 motor with oem air cleaner/box, snorkle removed, stock header with white bros silencer. All on the red 95... "nicky".
    No mods to speak of. I don't know much about the white bros mufflers, but this is the one with out the disc plates. I would think the baffle is installed because it has the little pipe out the tailpiece and it is a spark arrester.

IMG_5844.JPG

You can hear it and see it here on the cannablized 96 ohv.

16. *perko

*perko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, after the first ride in a while that hasn't resulted in my dodgy home made parts falling off the XR, I've decided that I really should try to sort a couple of tiny niggles with the FCR setup on it.
    My problems are:

1. Cold starts can be a bit frustrating. It will always fire on the 1st kick, but often only runs for a second or 2 at a slow idle before cutting out.
    A few pumps of the throttle before starting helps it to stay lit but generally it takes 3-4 goes before it will stay idling, the idle then picks up to ~2k rpm and will be good to go.
    Once running it idles happily, hot starts are a breeze and doesn't pop/backfire on decel.
    My current thought is to check the fuel screw, pretty sure I adjusted this previously but doesn't hurt to check.

2. Occasional miss at mid-rpm when rolling on throttle.
    This one is hard to pin down, generally it will happen when rolling onto the throttle at mid rpm (e.g. between corners on a windy road) but not always.
    Feels like it just doesn't fire for a complete revolution, will then catch again and pull through sweetly through the rest of the revs.
    Perhaps the leak jet is a tad small and there's not enough pump to deal with the throttle opening, the other thought was that the needle taper isn't a good fit (needle is the stock CRF one that was in the carb when I bought it).

Any thoughts on what could be causing these?
    Other than this it seems to run very happily, can lift the front in pretty much any gear even with the big tank and tall gearing and uses a tad less fuel than the original PD or even my mates NX650.
  17. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    I don't know about any of thar crap in the posts before this one, but take a look at this... you have to check it out it is an epic journey... xr600r material!

I just looked at it and was amazed by so many small aspects of how the bike performed. In fact, I thought it was epic! ...check it ouuuuuuut.... the traction! This is a motor built by steve... we are just chugging along here... it's doing it!
  18. rustyx

rustyx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B8583EFD-CD8B-4564-B69E-19797CACA43E.jpeg 7E1AF829-557D-4C45-92E8-E73526DDCA5A.jpeg F0E0EB59-CE26-4C36-9F46-B7C9EA17A51A.jpeg

Haven’t really ridden this thing but once in the past few years. Still start it every couple weeks just to keep oil in all the places. Did dishpan springs/malcom smith trail on it a while back and since it’s just sat.

took it out yesterday and remembered why I loved the thing. Cleaned it up and did some tuning and fixing today. Ordered a couple small things that need to be replaced and have been looking for a good set of tires cause these motoz desert HT aren’t as good as I remember. I was sliding around everywhere. Anyway here’s a fresh clean xr6 pic and one from yesterday.

also if anyone knows where to get a stock xr front fender that isn’t $100 lemme know. I hate the crf front fender.
    SCTrailrider and bork like this.
  19. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    1. HOME
    2. REPLICA PLASTICS
    3. FRONT FENDER - RED 069 - HONDA
    FRONT FENDER - RED 069 - HONDA
    PA01014-069

Front fender - rosso / red 069

Applications:

• Honda XR 600 1988-2002

$24.99

https://us.ufoplast.com/replica-plastics/12816-front-fender-red-069-honda-8052135054856.html

Rustyx, I think the ufo replacements are a good buy @ $25. The meat you bolt through is not as thick as the oem so ya gotta do something about the bolt bushings. But other than that they look the part. They have some ribbing down the center to harness some of that flapping in the wind. They have some louvers to let air flow to the engine.

I'm curious, what is it about the CRF fronts you don't like?

front-fender-red-069-honda.jpg

IMG_8912.jpg
    rustyx likes this.
  20. 3_85_600s

3_85_600s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rust, Is that the lookout off of Hwy 38? You should have dropped down behind the 7 Oaks dam while you were up there.